Clarinet balance control.

anumber1

• Have boxcars - Do travel
    • AudioEnhancements
Clarinet balance control.
« on: 18 Apr 2007, 05:10 pm »
Hello all,
I just built a Clarinet line stage. I am in the first few hours of it hooked up in my system and have a couple of questions.

When operating the balance control, it does change the level of sound (left and right) but does not cut one channel or the other completly off. Is this by design? I did use a substitute pot for the balance control but the only difference is the bushing material (plastic vs. metal, Digi-Key was back ordered for the spec-ed part).

The unit sounds fantastic! No backgound hiss or hum to speak of at all.

Does anyone have 12AU7 rolling recomendations? I currently have a pair of old Sylvainia black plates, D-getter ring tubes in there. Beautiful sound!

acresm22

Re: Clarinet balance control.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2007, 05:31 pm »
I have a Clarinet built by Jim Hagerman, and the balance control does the same thing on it...so this is by design, I'm sure.
I'd also be interested to hear some tube recommendations for the Clarinet. Another recent thread on the Candela preamp had lots of talk about the JJ/Tesla ECC802 12AU7 longplates...supposedly a great tube for a great price.

Dan

samplesj

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2007, 06:47 pm »
That is intentional.  If you look at some of the older threads its been asked before and he said it was on purpose.  Its for balancing out minor diffs in left and right, not switching them on and off.  I just left mine off entirely and used a 100k DACT for vol (instead of 50k + 50k).

As far as tubes go, that is a very subjective thing, but ........

For the C series Mr Hagerman said you don't need matching tubes, but you do want matching sections (or at least close).  The Clarinet uses a section from each tube for each channel instead of 1 tube per channel.

Personally I think the JJ ECC82 goldpins are a very nice new production tube, but I've not heard the JJ ECC802.  For older 12AU7 tubes I've tried RCA blackplates, Amperex short plates, Mullard short plates, Brimar 13D5, and Mullard long plates (halo and square).  I just got a few Telefunken smooth longplates I sniped, but haven't had time to play with them yet.  So far to me the mullard long plates are the best by far.  They are like the good parts of all the rest all put together.  All of the tubes got ~8 hours of playing (system is in my office so its on at least 4 hours a day).

Just as a heads up about Brimar 13D5s, all 4 I've heard are VERY noisy.

If you are willing to risk eBay there are some deals out there.  I picked up the Mullard long plates with square getters from Peru for around $40 compared to $100-$200.  I've got a calibrated TV-10 and they all measured very very strong with plenty of life left.

I tried to get cheap versions of each "flavor" of tube so I can get a feel for the different characteristics.  I figure in a few months I'll sell off the ones I don't use (and a set of backups  :wink:).

edit:  Fixed the ECC83s to ECC82 (12AX7 vs 12AU7) - I picked up the wrong tube and didn't think about which number I typed.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2007, 09:10 pm by samplesj »

acresm22

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2007, 08:27 pm »
I went ahead and ordered a pair of the JJ/Tesla ECC802 12AU7 longplates from Triode Electronics this morning. Will report back on how they sound in the Clarinet.
Just curious....have any one you Clarinet owners experimented with different rectifier tubes? I'm looking for some low noise options for the rectifier AND the 12au7s...

samplesj

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2007, 09:08 pm »
As far as rectifiers, there is a difference in sound between 5Y3 and 5AR4/GZ34.  Watch the 5Y3s you buy and make sure they are slow ramp up (normal 5Y3s are fast [Sovtek 5Y3 are slow]).  5AR4/GZ34 are all slow.  I like the 5AR4/GZ34s I've heard more than the 5Y3 I've got.  If you are sticking with new prod then try out a JJ or Sovtek 5AR4/GZ34.  I like the dual getter Mullard GZ34s.

When you first roll in a new rectifier be ready to drop the power immediately on any sign of trouble.   I had to replace my grid stop resistors in my Clarinet because they got fried by a bad GZ34.  Both sides tested just fine, but it would pop 1amp fast blows and when I put in the stock 1amp slow blows it blew the resistor on one side.  Smelt aweful and let out the magic smoke in a small dark cloud.  Needless to say but that one won't be used again (seller said just chuck it since it wasn't resaleable).  The tester's fuse did glow much brighter when I tested it so I should have taken note of that.  I examined it vs its mate in the pair and it looks like pin 1's wire just doesn't reach quite high enough.  I can see just a bit of daylight between the wire and the bottom bracket on one side, but not on the other side or on either side of the good one.

anumber1

• Have boxcars - Do travel
    • AudioEnhancements
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2007, 09:14 pm »
As the unit only has a few hrs of time on it so far I have not really gone hog wild with tube rolling but so far I really like the '50's black plate Sylvania's that I have in there. I briefly tried a pair of RCA clear tops but they seemed very bright and forward. I have a pair of Tung-Sols and a few Raytheon and RCA 5814s to try as well as some European ECC82s like Mullard and Telefunken.

The current Sylvania's are really nice tho.

I am going to get 20 to 50 hrs on the unit before really experimenting.