4-Month Digi-Key Backorder

analog97

4-Month Digi-Key Backorder
« on: 18 Aug 2006, 06:27 pm »
There is a 4 month delay for the transformer for The Ripper.  Does anyone know a substitute part or different supplier?  Any thought appreciated.

troporobo

Re: 4-Month Digi-Key Backorder
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2006, 05:02 am »
I discovered a similar problem today - the ferrite bead (part number 240-2170) seems to have a minimum order quantity of 1000 pieces!  Anyone know a substitute part?

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2006, 07:17 pm »
It's the RoHS thing again.  Ok, new number for the ferrite bead is #240-2492.  Same part, new paperwork.  As for the tranny, I seem to have such luck every time I introduce a new product.  Once an order stream gets going, they usually keep parts in stock.  The TE70002 also works in the RIPPER.  Thats the 12V version I used in the prototypes.  It works fine but is a little short on voltage headroom.  At some point (115V, 110V), the supplies will drop out of regulation.  I'm not sure yet just how low this voltage is.  At 120V everything is ok.

jh

analog97

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2006, 02:57 pm »
Re: Bugle tranny, it seems the engineer thinks the 15V tranny is preferable. I will wait the 4 months.  In the meantime, I will get the UFO and Ripper guts done.  PS: My Cornet2 and Clarinet are performing absolutely FLAWLESSLY, with NO noise!!  I have never heard my Mo-Fi's sound better.  For some reason, when I switched amplifiers, ALL the hum and noise I was bothered by disappeared.  There must be something to "system synergy", although I prefer to believe the answer was "scientific", just beyond my limited understanding.  I am one happy camper with my Hag stuff.  I have gotten 6 of JH's products....hmmmmm....still sure there is reluctance to design a 100 W+ tube amp?  I have looked at the guts of a couple of these and it seems doable, especially with a larger, Hag-type quality pcb or two....oh, well...I can't do it. :D

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2006, 02:28 am »
I ran a test today using the 12V TE70002 transformer.  The RIPPER dropped out of regulation at 112Vac input.  That's why I made the change to the 15V tranny - so that the machine worked under all possible conditions.  So if you have a high line voltage (average is 120V nowadays), the 12V tranny will do fine.  You can always replace it later, but it at least gets you up and running.

My apologies again for the stock shortage.  Very hard to design around DigiKey's inventory, which is always changing, especially those parts changing due to RoHS requirements.

jh :|

robertwstephens

Hagerman real world tube amp kit???
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2006, 04:53 am »
As usual, I CLEARLY second the vote for a high powered Hagerman tube amp kit.  Heck, I would be happy with 40 or 50 watts.  Thanks for bringing that up again analog97.  I wait with baited breath(whatever that means).  Peace.  Robert

hagtech

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2006, 05:59 am »
second the vote for a high powered Hagerman tube amp kit

Isn't there anything else out there?  Or is this market segment being underserved?  I'm guessing you want enough power to drive the typical low efficiency and power hungry loudspeakers that are so prevalent.  So 50W, probably have to be PP, as SE is getting a little out of hand at that power.  You also need low output impedance to tame the load. 

I'll have to think about it.  Maybe a PP 6C33?  I'd hate to have to resort to using feedback.  Might be the only way to get output impedance low enough.  It's not out of the question, though.  Didn't Tenor make an amp like that?  There are two ways to do this, a cheap-ass pentode (aka Dynaco), or the real thing using big-ass triodes.  The latter will cost quite a bit.  The former would end up just like all the low-cost stuff presently being imported.  I'm not sure I see much benefit to making a me-too machine.

jh

robertwstephens

Real world tube amp kit.
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2006, 01:50 pm »
I think you are under-estimating the attraction of DIY.  Builders are looking for a mix of good sonics, challenging builds and the ability to tweak to their tastes.  I have built 3 Hagerman kits in the last year and REALLY have enjoyed the process along the way.  I would gladly plunk down the $1250 bucks to build a pair of tweaked Cymbols, but there is no way 8 watts will give me the punch I need for my Infinity towers.  I would then need to plunk down $500 to build a tweaked Clarinet.  It is the 8 watts that is holding me back.  There is another website that sells a 40 watt tube amp kit(the Ella?) that probably sells pretty well.  I am curious how many Cymbol kits you have sold compared to the Coronets and Clarinets?  I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my Coronet II.  It is the envy of my vinyl loving friends.  I really hope it translates into an extra sale or 2 for you Jim!  Peace.  Robert

analog97

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2006, 07:59 pm »
Ditto, ditto and ditto!!!  I now know the truly big gains in my analog front-end due to the CornetII and Clarinet.  I have a pair of Polk 1.2 TL's that are rated up to 1,000 W continuous.  These are 200 lbs each with 13 drivers per box.  I think they would burn up pretty quick with the Cymbals!!  Don't get me wrong. This is no criticism.  I ain't got nuttin' but praise for one of my favorite engineers.  I, too can't estimate the market for ssuch a product, but I see damn few horns!!!  Maybe 2% horns out there????  That's my experience.

troporobo

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2006, 05:07 am »
Another thought on the transformer for the Ripper.  Would the TE70004 work and provide sufficient headroom for marginal AC supplies?  Its 18V @ 0.088A  whereas the TE70003 is 15V @ 0.106A.  I know that my AC supply, which is nominally 230V, oftern drops below 220 so am concerned about using the TE70002 as a substitute

hagtech

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2006, 07:37 pm »
I thought about this, but the 18V might provide too much voltage for the opamp in the regulator.  It's all a balancing act.  You could increase the value of the 10 ohm resistors in the supply.  They help to kill ripple, but mainly for reducing the peak currents during capacitor recharging.  Increasing this value to maybe 47 - 68 ohms or so will do the job (but make them 1W size).

jh