A Speaker Using 2 Alnico 6 Drivers

ZLS

A Speaker Using 2 Alnico 6 Drivers
« on: 1 Apr 2016, 06:57 pm »
    A question for Louis.

Are there any plans for building an Omega Speaker that utilizes 2 Alnico 6 Drivers?

I think that would sound awesome. 

jorgen

Re: A Speaker Using 2 Alnico 6 Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2016, 07:18 pm »
I am of course in no position to answer in behalf of Omega, but I'm pretty sure it has already been done in one of his Outlaw solutions. From what I remember with great success aswell

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2016, 02:15 am »
Hi ZLS, Jorgen,

Thanks and looking forward to making many duals.

I have made an Omni with the Alnico 6.5 a little while ago. It was dual driver with one front firing and one top firing.

I have built many 1.5 ways with mostly RS5's and RS7's. I have built prototypes 1.5's with the Alnico 6.5's to fantastic results.
I'm at the stage now that I would like to make them part of the line. The engineering is all done and I've zeroed in on my volumes and tunings. The next step is the look of the cabinets.

I'm working on a finished design of a 1.5 way RS5 floorstander.

Omni and bipoles will also be made as OutLaws.

Thanks again,
Louis

Ultralight

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2016, 07:39 pm »
Will say that though I've yet to post my review of my RS5 bipoles, to my ears, the dual RS5 are a very significant step up from the single RS5 speakers.  And there are so many configurations where there can be dual RS5 drivers.  1.5, bipoles, dipole, omnis...

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2016, 01:12 am »
Hi Ultralight,

Thanks and great to hear. There are so many configurations and I'm almost done with a floorstanding RS5 based omni. These have a front and top firing RS5. I should be done with the build next week and I will post pictures.

They are going to be finished in EKO Teak and they will be a wide baffle design with mirror image offset top firing RS5's.

Thanks,
Louis

roscoe65

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2016, 02:18 pm »
Louis,

Could you provide a little more detail about the omni configuration?  Are the drivers in parallel or series (or either)?  What is difference in sound between the omni and the standard 1.5 and single driver configurations?

Thanks,
Randy

Ultralight

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2016, 02:29 am »
Fascinating.  Why offset top?

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2016, 01:36 am »
Hi Ultralight,

Thanks and when I can I like to offset and mirror image. Easy to do on the wide baffle speakers. It helps to reduce standing waves in the cabinets.

Hi roscoe65,

Thanks and pictured is the Omni version of the alnico 6.5. These are a standard baffle width ( not wide baffle) finished in walnut I also added grills for the top driver.

Omni's like these pictured are a bit easier to place in the room and don't require the large distance that a Bipole/Dipole needs from the wall behind the speakers.

Both drivers are run full range and can be wired in either 4 ohm (parallel) or 16 ohm (series). Same as the bipole/dipole speakers. I can add dual binding posts and jumpers so it can be changed form 4 or 16 ohm.

Compaired to a single driver, the dual driver models will work half as hard as one driver, will be more sensitive and efficient and have more mid bass fill. Dynamics goes up a lot and the ability to play more complex music.

Omnis do have the excellent imaging and huge sense of space. It's excellent with classical music as well. They fill a large room easily.

More about this soon.

Thanks again,
Louis

roscoe65

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2016, 03:24 pm »
Thanks Louis!

Do they work in smaller rooms as well?  I like the idea of an increase spaciousness while maintaining the imaging.

R

MarkR7

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2016, 03:30 pm »
Do we need to have matching drivers on each speaker here? What about the Alnico as the main driver, and an RS5 as the up-firing driver?

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2016, 12:23 am »
Hi roscoe65,

Thanks and they will. I will also have smaller versions with RS5's. I hope to have the set I'm working on posted soon.
The sense of space is a huge plus.

Thanks again,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2016, 12:28 am »
Hi MarkR7,

Thanks and great post.

It actually would be easy with the Alnico and RS7 combo as they spec similar for volumes and tunings.

An Alnico and RS5 combo would be very interesting though. In this case I would have to chamber both drivers so they don't interfere with each other. I really think that's a great idea.

Thanks again,
Louis

roscoe65

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2016, 12:40 am »
Do we need to have matching drivers on each speaker here? What about the Alnico as the main driver, and an RS5 as the up-firing driver?

Mark, you must be reading my mind.  I have a pair of Super Alnico Monitors and a pair of Super 3 Wide Baffle with RS5 drivers.  Both this thread and other posts about Late Ceiling Splash (LCS) speakers make me want to arrange the two pair with the Alnico's as main speakers and the Super 3's facing upward as omnidirectional speakers.  Both are 8 ohm and are approximately the same efficiency.  I'm in the midst of moving house right now so can't properly test this out, but I will report back.  My only other problem at the moment is my main amp is only wired for 8 ohm, and I would have to rewire for 4 or 16 ohm speakers.

I could see this as a similar approach to the Audiokinesis Dreammaker, with a main speaker and a smaller, upward-firing speaker behind it.

Louis O

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2016, 01:04 am »
Hi MarkR7, roscoe65,

Looks like the Alnico/RS5 Omni combo would make a great OutLaw project. It will have 2 chambers and separate binding posts for each driver. Looking to build a floorstander.

Thanks,
Louis

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2016, 11:10 pm »
… pictured is the Omni version of the alnico 6.5.

We have built a number of boxes similar to this with drivers arranged "castle" style and they work well.

dave

Louis O

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2016, 01:02 am »
Just finished the veneer on the wide baffle RS5 omni. Will be posting pictures next week. They are EKO Teak.

I really like this cabinet and it works great with 1.5 way set ups. I may try it with drivers on the narrow side too.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2016, 01:25 am »
Hi Dave,

Great to hear this set up worked well for you.

Thanks,
Louis