Stillpoint Aperture or Synergistc Research

rareace

Stillpoint Aperture or Synergistc Research
« on: 15 Jan 2021, 12:24 am »
Hello,
Has anyone tried any of the Stillpoint Aperture or Synergistic Research HRT/Dots with their panels? Would like to know how effective they are compared to standard room acoustic panels out there.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Stillpoint Aperture or Synergistc Research
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2021, 12:31 pm »
Welcome to AC!

First I'd ask what sonic problems are you trying to solve.  It's hard to fix a "bad" room (one that is squarish, or exceeding long/narrow, or just very small) with any sort of treatment.  Bright rooms can be tamed with absorption. 

BTW there really isn't a "standard" room acoustic panel.  When shopping look research the effectiveness of design/materials used.  I recommend GIK (find them here at Audio Circle).  Their absorption panels use Owens Corning 703 high density fiberglass, the most effective material I've found for dealing with a wide frequency range.  GIK can provide extensive advice.  And Floyd Toole, highly respected acoustician doesn't generally suggest diffusion in the home.

I'd dismiss both products out of hand.

The Stillpoint Aperture try to diffuse and absorb with the same relatively thin panel.  The laws of physics would limit diffusion down to roughly 2500 Hz based on depth of the panels and diffusion cannot work with absorbent materials.  Pick one function, either hard diffusion or soft absorption. 

The Synergistic Research HRT/Dots are laughable.  Such small devices simply cannot be effective.  Both seem to be for folks that want to believe in magic. 

I have/use six 2ft x 4ft GIK 244 full range absorption panels and four 2ft x 4ft GIK 244 bass traps in my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft (Fibonacci ratios) room.  The full range panels are located at first reflection points and the bass traps straddle the front corners.  Frankly in my room the full range panels are somewhat overkill in my dedicated room but they make instant and obvious improvements in less ideally shaped rooms. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2021, 04:42 pm »
The only acoustic treatments I've found to be noticeably effective from the get-go are those types mentioned by JLM. These in addition to diffusion panels with serious "random" depths. (1"-6") I've used ATS absorbing panels and GIK diffusion. The SR HFT's left me undecided on their effectiveness  :scratch:

rareace

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2021, 04:50 am »
I don’t think there is any issues I’m hearing but curious what I’m missing. It’s a small/narrow loft area with high ceilings so I listen nearfield with speakers very close to the front wall. I was thinking about putting a diffuser or absorber panel behind the speakers to mitigate any reflections. The walls are textured as opposed to smooth so hopefully that helps as well...
-Alex

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2021, 03:57 pm »
A simple start would be to place an absorbing panel behind each speaker.  2" thickness and perhaps a 2'x2' panel for openers. This for a smaller box type speaker. Perhaps a 2'x3' for a larger speaker. For open baffles or panels, I'd switch to diffusion panels. I actually use a combination of absorbing and diffusion panels on my front wall, but that's another story. That said, I'd start with absorbing panels.

rareace

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2021, 04:52 pm »
Thanks Mick. I’ll try some out!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2021, 12:42 pm »
Keep in mind the size of sound waves: 13,200 inches/Hz.  So 13,200 Hz are 1 inch long, 1,320 Hz are 10 inches long, 60 Hz are 220 inches long, etc.

If possible best to move the loudspeakers out 3ft from side walls and 5 feet from front wall.  Try quality absorption panels if that's not feasible.  By quality I mean to research the material absorption characteristics.  Most "absorption" material is a sick joke.  Even the "good" stuff isn't effective in the bass range.  Again Owens Corning 703 high density fiberglass is the king.  Accept no substitutes.