Quatro, Havana Black pics and Cable thoughts

ctsooner

Quatro, Havana Black pics and Cable thoughts
« on: 5 Jun 2017, 02:00 pm »
I have a balanced AQ Niagara from Ayre QX5/20 into the AX5/20.  I then run an 8' pair of AQ Castlerock speaker cables to the Quatro's.  I'm thinking of upgrading and can get a pair of AQ Horizon (the precursor to the WEL) for not too much money if I sell my Niagara's.  I am wondering if it's worth it.  I'm also told that I may want to look into selling the Castlerock's in addition to the Niagara and run at least a set of internal bewired Aspen or even Oak if I can afford them.  Was told the Tree series work GREAT with the Quatro on up. 

I worry that I could never sell the Horizon again as most don't know a thing about them and they weren't out that long before BL had to change the name to WEL.  The jackets are even a different color than the WEL, but the cable is identical and the connectors I'm told are as good as what it used today sound wise. 

Just something to ask around to get opinions.  I'll have the cable sent to me before purchase to make sure I think it's a worthy upgrade dollar wise. 

BTW, these Quatro's are still breaking in and are easily the best speakers I"ve heard under the 30k that the 5's are going for.  I've heard the Magico S3 mk3 (or 2, but the newest ones) and the Quatro blows them out of the water to MY EAR.  Much more musical.  Top end much sweeter, but the percussiveness of Richard's fast mid range in there.  The clarity is also better than the Magico to me.  I also have heard the new Wilson speakers and find them to be much much more listenable than in the past.  The problem still lies in that they have no true detail.  They are smeared and out of phase.  You can tell if you listen that the micro and macro detail is still missing.  I'm surprised that they haven't addressed all of this in Darryl's designs.  If they would ever use better drivers like Vandersteen and some others, they would be a force, but so far, IMHO, they just aren't going in that direction while all the other top makers are. 

I hate bashing others, but they have a lot of catching up to do with the Vandersteen line IMHO.  Again, that's just me.  I"m sure many of you will disagree, so that's a great discussion to have also.

ro

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Re: Quatro, Havana Black pics and Cable thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2017, 02:40 pm »
I'm no help on the cables but I completely agree with you about the Quattros, as I've commented about them before here on AC. I don't own them but I have heard them locally several times. I no longer have a dedicated listening room but if I did I'd buy them tomorrow. The amount of detail - the amount of musical information they present to be processed - is, well, eerie. Really quite something. Anyone in the market for new speakers should try to give them a listen.

(I have no connection with the company, am not a dealer, etc., these are just my humble opinions.)

ctsooner

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2017, 06:56 pm »
That's what many of us also feel.  To me, they are a best buy because they get you into true HIGH END audio as long as you feed them great sound.  I know a few of us who just got them and are blown away.  All of us auditioned at least Wilson, Magico, B&W, Focal, Paradigm and I feel strongly that my Quatro's sound much better than anything those others offer.  None of them do what the Quatro can do overall.  I know many will fight me, but in the end, they do one or two things, but not everything and to me they are disjointed or dynamic or lack detail etc... 

Some will tell me I'm delusional, but price doesn't matter to me.  TAS just said that it was the best for the money they heard in LA at the show.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2017, 08:13 pm »
Regardless of what cable you choose you should have external bi-wire, not internal.  That makes a huge difference.  2 runs on each side.

ctsooner

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2017, 04:12 pm »
Interesting thought.  I haven't heard enough of the double runs.  If that's the case, I may have to just buy another run of Castlerock.  I do want to listen to a few choices before making final decisions.  What double run do you use?  You have 7's if I recall, correct?

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2017, 09:20 pm »
Interesting thought.  I haven't heard enough of the double runs.  If that's the case, I may have to just buy another run of Castlerock.  I do want to listen to a few choices before making final decisions.  What double run do you use?  You have 7's if I recall, correct?

yes.  I have a double run of Audioquest Oak.  I actually bought a pair of 12 ft runs and audioquest made 2 sets of 4.5ft external bi-wire runs.

I can tell you that Richard uses external bi-wire Audioquest WEL runs with the M7-HPAs.

ctsooner

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2017, 09:07 pm »
Yes, I know he does. We have actually talked a bit about that.  I have to see how much everything will cost me, but that may be the way to go. If I did an extra run of castlerock, would that be like a full component upgrade?  (you know what I mean).  lol

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2017, 10:26 pm »
Pete,

Can you post some photos of your setup? I see very little on your FB page and AG page as well.

Best,
Anand.

ctsooner

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2017, 12:11 pm »
I'll do what i can.  I have a very simple set up now that I have told my Basis TT and will sell my Aestheix Rhea, ultrasonic cleaner and albums.  CAn't believe I am doing this, but it's time.  It's a simple set up with the Ayre AX5/20, QX5/20 and a Steve Nugent/Paul Hynes rebuilt Mac Mini server that crushes any other I've ever heard so far.  Audioquest cables.  I'll so what I can to post more pics, but it's hard because the speakers are in the far corners of the room.  I like it as it gives a huge soundstage and I'm not getting suck out.  I don't think the bass is being augmented that much in my room.   I had another drummer over yesterday and he LOVED how it sounded.  I'll do what I can for pics.  :)

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2017, 02:34 pm »
How close are the speakers to the amp?

ctsooner

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2017, 12:47 pm »
Since I run an integrated amp, I have to use 8' runs of cable.  I probably need a 9' run to be honest.  Would be nice to have only a 3' run as you can do with mono amps. That's another huge advantage of mono's.

ctsooner

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2017, 06:48 pm »
Update.  These speakers are amazing.  Simply amazing. I have heard the new 30k Magico's and these are so much more musical and detailed.  The coherency is off the charts. I reminds me of listening to panels or point source speakers.  Im' getting so much more bass info and air movement in the room than I had in the Treo's.  I realize why, but just saying these sound like 'really big' speakers physically.  These move a tremendous amount of air when asked to.

Everyone comments on the looks straight off the bat.  They are just beautiful. 

So today I will have a pair of Audioquest Horizon balance interconnects to replace the Niagara. I will sell the Niagara with their box and original packaging to whomever want them.  1m I believe.  Also going to sell a pair of the 1.5m Water I have (I think that's the size. Just need to measure I guess, lol.  I'll post when I decide to post the SR power cell and the Aesthetix Rhea.

In the package is also a AQ USB Diamond, which is my favorite USB cable and one I've had in here before.  Can't wait .....