Nimbus Whites with ZOTL 40 watt amps!!!

EdRo

Nimbus Whites with ZOTL 40 watt amps!!!
« on: 19 Oct 2015, 01:52 pm »
As many of you guys know, we had a set of Nimbus Whites on display in room 2024 at RMAF this year. Benjamin from Mojo Audio (in room 1121) wasn't happy with the way the speakers that he had brought were sounding is his room. After hearing his disappointment in the elevator, (it is good to keep your ears open, guys!!!) the Nimbus were offered as a replacement. Within 20 minutes the 280lb Nimbus were up to the 11th floor and put in place.
     Did anyone get much of a chance to hear these ZOTL amps through the Nimbus? Tyson and Pez seemed to like them well enough. I'm trying to pick out an amp for my personal use, and the ZOTL 40 watt amp seemed to drive the Nimbus pretty well. Does anyone have an opinion on these?

GentleBender

Re: Nimbus Whites with ZOTL 40 watt amps!!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2015, 05:45 pm »
Crickets here...

I just figured I'd reply to see if someone has an opinion on the ZOTL amps.  :scratch:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2015, 12:27 pm »
I didn't realize this but apparently this was the first time at RMAF that these ZOTL amps from Linear Tube Audio were heard. So probably explains why nobody has heard them unless they were in the Mojo room on Sunday of the show. I really liked what I heard and if I had a little more efficient speaker I would definitely consider these. The detail and realism was amazing.

http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/zotl40/

worldcat

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2015, 01:06 pm »
Aren't these just David Bernings.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2015, 01:23 pm »
Aren't these just David Bernings.

Basically yes, along with Mark from LTA. Here's an excerpt from LTA...

Originally available in a limited run from 2000-2007, David Berning’s microZOTL headphone amplifiers were proclaimed as some of the best headphone amplifiers ever created.  Hundreds of glowing reviews, posts and proclamations of Berning’s patented ZOTL technology, penned by industry critics, amplifier owners, and audiophiles alike have vaulted ZOTL technology to cult-level status.  Considered the only significant advance in tube circuitry since the 1960’s,ZOTL technology delivers an unforgettably palpable listening experience. When asked about Linear Tube Audio’s microZOTL2.0, David Berning, ZOTLinventor, exclaimed, “Their reconfiguration of the microZOTL is even more remarkable than I anticipated.”

Performing at the theoretically correct turns ratio, a previously unheard of achievement, Linear Tube Audio’s microZOTL2.0 delivers an unparalleled, enlightening and stunningly realistic experience wherever it's plugged in.  Retaining Berning's original core circuitry, Linear Tube Audio’s microZOTL2.0 makes use of a separate power supply to ensure minimal noise and eliminates the output transformer in order to remove the inherent distortion found in transformer-type amplifiers.  TUNG-SOL Russian vacuum tubes, 5-way gold binding posts, silver-coated Teflon copper insulated wiring and gold connectors throughout the signal path are indicative of the level of attention to detail and expertise Linear Tube Audio has leveraged in their pursuit to delivering an affordable, high-end audio experience.  These are a few of the innovations responsible for the unit’s exceptional realism, musicality, and astounding bass response.

and...

Since the debut of ZOTL technology, no one else has been able to successfully manufacture David Berning’s complex designs. It was this uniqueness and complexity that attracted Mark to producing ZOTL amplifiers specifically, in addition to their spectacular sound. Each amplifier requires hours of hand-building, which is currently done by Mark and his team in Linear Tube Audio’s Washington, DC workshop. David Berning personally reviews initial units to ensure that the build quality meets his extremely high standards. 

Due to its continued high demand 8 years after production ended, Mark decided to have Linear Tube Audio debut by introducing an improved version of David Berning’s original Microzotl, the Microzotl2.0. For the amps following, Mark and David have worked collaboratively, with David designing the core amplifier circuitry to Mark’s specifications, and Linear Tube Audio creating the rest of the unit.

EdRo

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2015, 02:09 pm »
That all reads well. I guess they're too new for people to have formed opinions on them.

RPM123

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2015, 02:30 pm »
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2015-rmaf-show-report-tube-electronics/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-427

Linear Tube Audio microZOTL 2.0 Personal Amplifier/Preamplifier ($1100) & Berning ZOTL40 Stereo Power Amplifier ($4500)
Distributed by Urban HiFi, Linear Tube Audio’s online distribution arm, the micrZOTL2.0 is a licensed re-issue of the Berning design that I reviewed some 15 years ago. The internal circuitry is identical to that of the original. The microZOTL 2.0 (review pending) has been touted for some time now as an excellent headphone amplifier, but what about using it as a preamp? With two selectable line-level inputs and a volume pot, it looks much like a linestage. That was my first instinct and also that of Mojo Audio’s Benjamin Zwickel. In the Mojo Audio room, the microZOTL was driving David Berning’s latest power amp design for Linear Tube Audio, the ZOTL40, featuring an EL34-based push-pull output stage operating in Class AB and delivering 40Wpc. The absence of a conventional output transformer makes the ZOTL40 a lightweight, as Urban HiFi’s Mark Schneider demonstrated by dangling the amp on his fingertips. The partnering loudspeaker was Zwickel’s personal Magnepan 1.7, and much to my surprise this coupling performed quite well. I should add that Mojo Audio now offers a power supply upgrade for the microZOTL (though it costs almost as much as the microZOTL itself).

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2015, 03:52 pm »
. Benjamin from Mojo Audio (in room 1121) wasn't happy with the way the speakers that he had brought were sounding is his room.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2015-rmaf-show-report-tube-electronics/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-427

So does this basically sum up what an audio show is? You got Ben from Mojo being so unhappy with the sound from the Maggies in his room he couldn't wait to switch them out. Then you get this guy from Absolute Sound giving the Mojo room with the Maggies Best Sound for the money out of the entire RMAF.

EdRo

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2015, 06:42 pm »
Lol. Wow. That's perfect!  :duh:

parbaked

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2015, 07:01 pm »
Even better...it says they were his own Maggies:
"The partnering loudspeaker was Zwickel’s personal Magnepan 1.7"

alan m. kafton

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2015, 07:24 pm »
I am in complete agreement with Tomy2Tone's first post.  What I heard on Sunday was remarkable.  The combination of amplifier and Vapor Audio speakers was superb.  I was particularly struck by how clean and clear the overall presentation was, especially with the lower bass information displayed by some hard-charging electronica.

I don't normally sit and listen to several songs (as most rooms bore me), but here I did.  Again, remarkable.

alan m. kafton

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2015, 07:27 pm »
I must also add that the clarity I heard was delivered by Mojo's source....the built-to-order server, with which I was greatly impressed, and the primary reason I visited Ben's room.  Clean, clear, music....tonally right on the money.