Lite 7 SQ Issues

kingdeezie

Lite 7 SQ Issues
« on: 10 Dec 2015, 02:56 am »
I purchased a Lampizator Lite 7, used off of audiogon recently. I have had my eye on the Big 7 for a while now, and I wanted to get a taste of the Lampizator sound at home for an extended period of time before spending the big bucks. It made sense to me to purchase a used Lite 7, to allow me the ability to trial the DAC for a few months, with minimal financial loss.

I have been following Lampizator for a while, so I was super excited to hook the DAC up, and play music. I have read countless reviews from both professionals and purchasers, talking about how amazing the Lampizator sound was, from top of the DAC line, to the bottom.

So far, I have been extremely disappointed, and wanted to get the input of the Lampizator community to see if anyone has any suggestions.

My biggest fear was that the Lampizator was going to be too colored for my taste, too euphonic.

Right now, the DAC sounds more SS, harsh, and brittle, than the Meitner MA-1 that preceded it, which is shocking to me.

The DAC sounds almost confused, like it lacks cohesiveness, and in some bizarre twisted way has the weaknesses of both SS and tubes. The highs and upper midrange are brittle and dry, while the lower midrange and bass seem slightly bloated and lacking detail.

I am using my gaming PC as the source via USB with a Revelation Audio Labs USB, the same PC I used with the Meitner. Jriver is the software program.

The power cable is a Stealth Dream PC, and it is connected to my Pass Labs XP-20 via Stealth Metacarbons.

I am using the regular Psvane 101D tubes that came with the unit.

I have been running the DAC for the last few days, maybe thinking that the previous user did most of their listening through the DSD section.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Everything that I have read about any Lampizator is that they are super smooth and analog like. This Lite 7 sounds nothing like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would love to unlock the great sound that everyone else hears.

Gopher

Re: Lite 7 SQ Issues
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2015, 03:01 am »
This does not sound right at all.  Something may be amis with your unit.  Can you pm me with the serial number and mfg date?  I'll contact Lukasz to get his input, but what your hearing is NOT right.

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2015, 05:14 am »
Sending you the PM now.

I don't suspect (really hope), its nothing to do with the DAC mechanically or electrically. It functions fine. No trouble locking signal with Toslink or USB, turns on and off without an issue.

speshal

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2015, 06:39 am »
Unless there is something wrong with the DAC, I would look at that Gaming PC you're using as a server.

What you're describing is something similar I noticed in my system (with another well-regarded DAC prior to owning a Lampi Big 7).  It wasn't the DAC. 

I had just a standard gaming style PC instead of a customized server.  Power supply noise and other nasties from a non-optimal PC can really wreak havoc on the USB quality. 

Your message implies that your Meitner was suffering from similar issues (albeit to a lesser degree) which is not indicative of their product either. 

If both the Meitner and Lampi weren't performing up to your expectations, I'd definitely look at that PC.  Both the Meitner and Lampi are in the upper percentile of best of the best.  They should not be disappointing unless they are being fed garbage or broken.

Maybe try a different source using the SPDIF/Optical/AES input...even a CD/DVD player or cable box with PCM digital out should give you a comparison of a different input.  If it's still the same with SPDIF, then it may be the DAC.  If not, it's probably the USB from the PC which, as I said, is notorious for the problems you mentioned.

You could try an Uptone Regen or iFi USB 3.0 to help your existing PC on the cheap...or you could get an Auralic Aries/Antipodes/Aurender server.

Also make sure you don't have anything setup wrong in Jriver...turn off the volume control...no EQ...use the right driver...etc.  Compare with/without doing the DSD bitstream output.  Perhaps the DSD module on your DAC is an issue and either not functioning properly or broken in.

What you describe could also be a result of a bad mismatch with a preamp...however that should only happen if you were using some cheap opamp style HT processor or a passive preamp driving long high capacitance cables to the amps.

Other than that...I'm at a loss to help you...I'm sure someone else who knows more than me can add suggestions.

doak

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2015, 05:28 pm »
I heartily concur with "speshal's" advice/guidance before proceeding with any exam/repair of the DAC.

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2015, 05:53 pm »
I wouldn't disagree with looking at the server as strong potential for grunge. Cleaning that up could help a lot.

But I'd add that with my Big7, I HATED the stock Psvane 101D - somewhat detailed, but very brittle with a horrible tonal shift and uninvolving sound.  I almost sent the unit back.  But then some buddies brought over some cheaper 2A3's and 300B's, and with the Gold Lion 300B's things really came alive in a great way. The 20 year old Sovtek 2A3's were also much better than the stock 101D's - a nice balanced sound.  300B's have been my favorite and what I've invested in real $$ for high quality.  I could easily suspect with the solid state rectification, the Psvane 101D's would be even worse synergy than what I heard, but that's only hypothetical suspicion on my part.  I would only use Psvane 101D's to verify the unit is technically functional - never for actually listening for enjoyment.

So, between the tubes and the source/server, I bet you could really transform that unit with a couple investments.

doak

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2015, 06:10 pm »
Nothing like "word" from one who's "been there/done it."  Wink2

Gopher

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2015, 06:17 pm »
Thanks for the constructive suggestions, guys.  I've actually been speaking with kingdeezie behind the scenes and though he's been extremely busy lately he has made some headway.  It appears the prior owner of his DAC used DSD pretty exclusively and his PCM section had virtually no hours.  He reports things are sounding a lot better and also that he has a pair of 300Bs he'll be trying soon.   :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2015, 06:41 pm »
   Break in is a bitch. most just give up to soon. In my experience the newer chips take a minimum of 500 hours to sound their best.  hang in there Buckaroo.

charles

kingdeezie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2015, 09:52 pm »
Thanks Gopher for giving an update!

I have been busy as of late with work, and preparing for the holidays.

Thank you everyone who has offered a solution.

I left the DAC on for a few days shortly after posting this thread, and let things run in for a while, and it definitely did help.

I also had a friend come over, who works with audio (mostly recording) for a living, and has much better ears than I do.

Together, we made some changes to the entire system, that significantly helped. One of which was, against my amp manufacturers recommendations, to plug the amps into my power conditioner. I had them directly into the wall. That was huge. I have really BAD power, apparently.

The culmination of the further break in, with the other system changes, made a huge impact to my overall sound.

Definitely have to start tube rolling!