Lampi Pre-amp Functionality

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
Lampi Pre-amp Functionality
« on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:40 pm »
There were a couple of posts on Doak's "The New Analog" thread about the preamp function on some Lampi DACs. Not wanting to hijack that thread, I thought I would start a new thread to ask about your experience using the analog inputs on your Lampizator DAC. This solution looks very attractive to me so I would appreciate feedback from anyone using this capability.

How much gain does the preamp provide and at what output impedance?

How does the preamp sound quality compare to whatever preamp it replaced?

Thanks in advance

Todd

PhilipAC

Re: Lampi Pre-amp Functionality
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:13 pm »
About 2 years ago I got a Lampi (L5) with VC and analogue inputs. I don't remember using the analogue inputs because my music was all USB input from a MacBook Pro, then an Aurender. However I did comparisons (also with a couple of high end friends) between having my £10K pre-amp in the system or not. The sound was clearly more alive and dynamic without the pre-amp.

I sold the pre-amp. I now have a GG Head DAC with VC and analogue inputs (in case I need them at some stage) and have never regretted my decision. I know this isn't quite the same as using the analogue inputs themselves, but I have no reason to think the result would been different.

Hope this helps.

Philip

findog3103

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2015, 12:38 am »
I have a level 4 gen 5 Lampi with VC and analog inputs and I have no desire to buy a separate preamp. I use the the Lampi for both vinyl and digital with absolutely no regrets. However, the gain is higher than most preamps so even though I am using a moving coil cartridge I no longer need the SUT before the phono preamp.

sfox7076

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:09 am »
Sound is very good.  Implementation of the digital inputs is a bit wonky (selection wise), but the sound is good.  The manual on the lampi website references the DANZUP.  That is this R2R http://www.vicol-audio.ro/volume-controller.php. Should have all you need.