Blown tweeter fix

drphoto

Blown tweeter fix
« on: 11 Jan 2024, 11:16 pm »
Ok, did a really dumb thing.....played tried to play Metallica way to loud on my Merlin TSM-MMe. (power amp is Schiit Vidar) So high end goes out on one speaker. Dammit.....blew the tweeter. :duh: Luckily, it's a modded Morel MDT-30 and you can pop in a replacement VC for $30. Tried.....no joy. Ok.....so just bought the whole damn tweeter. Still doesn't work. Could I have actually cooked a capacitor in the crossover? If so.....pretty sure these used Hoveland which are no longer available. Any suggestions on equivalent? ClarityCap maybe? Thanks for any help. BTW: I know there are people who don't really like this speaker, but for my desktop/computer audio.....I like 'em just fine.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Blown tweeter fix
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2024, 11:22 pm »
Does the voltage reach the tweeter?

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2024, 12:07 am »
Hey!

I remembered Merlin speakers, heard a few years ago at the shows. I think they sound fine.

Hmmm... so you clipped the amp and blow out the tweeter? And new coil still didn't work? Did you check the old coil with meter or see it totally burnt?

Anyway, look like you will have to take the xover out and check all the components on the tweeter side to see if any burned out. It is unlikely you burn out the cap there, but I'm sure there is a resistor there on the tweeter side. That could burn out.

Well, good luck!

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2024, 12:50 am »
Hey SET!....I remember you....well I remember the cool dancing cat. I was away from audio (and the forum) for 10 years trying to recover from the dreaded 'audio nervosa'.  :cry: Thanks for the reply. Think I could put a multimeter across a resister to see if blown? I know enough about electronics to be dangerous. If it is resister, hope I can decipher the code to figure out value to order.  Can solder well, so no qualms about replacing parts. But clearly.....there's another issue than just the tweeter. The replacement VC should have worked, but thought maybe I screwed up the install, as the replacement part was slightly different and I had to do a minor mod. Hope not a cap, as more money and no direct replacement for Hoveland. I've actually enjoyed this system as it does what I want and don't sit and nit pick the flaw like I used to do with my main rig. Mac mini>Schiit Bifrost2>Zen tube buffer>Mapletree Ultra 4SE>Schiit Vidar1>Merlins + a RSL Speedwoofer 10. It's not really a true audio rig....it's a desktop/computer setup and for that it's pretty friggin good.

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2024, 03:12 am »
If it is worth saving..I would send the pair to Danny Ritchie at GR audio to check them out and recommend crossover design or perhaps recommend tweeter replacement or fix? From what I read about his probing around Merlim VSMs, it seems that the original designer used decent parts but did some jobs on the crossovers that require much electronic design.  At least your speakers use Morels and not the really huge Scanspeaker tweeters.  Good luck.

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2024, 10:55 pm »
I did a little research and found you can test resistors w/ a multimeter and get the values, if not listed. I've got one around here somewhere. Prolly by a Fluke someday as I want to build one of Dynaco clone kits.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2024, 11:30 pm »
Bemopti123, Hey seriously considering your suggestion. If I send Danny the one that works, he can come up w/ perhaps a solution for the mid/woofer spectral decay issue. Plus if I build all new crossovers, I don't have to try to figure out what part is damaged. This is turning out to be one expensive mistake. Thanks for reminding me that might be a good option.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2024, 11:52 pm »
If you live near Danny its a safe option, if not made a insurance to Fedex.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2024, 12:46 am »
This is turning out to be one expensive mistake.

Or it could be one big blessing in disguise  8)

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2024, 01:43 am »
Ok....you guys wore me down. Contacted Danny and will be sending the one that still works. Will let y'all know if he can out design Bobby P. and if Sonicaps sound better than Hovelands. Yeah......Nlitworld......I may come out ahead in the end. That would make a nice story. I appreciate everyone's input. BTW: I'm going to start putting together the GR-Research crossovers for the Maggie LRS I picked up. Will post about that over on Danny's thread when I get installed.

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2024, 02:19 am »
Hey SET!....I remember you....well I remember the cool dancing cat. I was away from audio (and the forum) for 10 years trying to recover from the dreaded 'audio nervosa'.  :cry: Thanks for the reply. Think I could put a multimeter across a resister to see if blown? I know enough about electronics to be dangerous. If it is resister, hope I can decipher the code to figure out value to order.  Can solder well, so no qualms about replacing parts. But clearly.....there's another issue than just the tweeter. The replacement VC should have worked, but thought maybe I screwed up the install, as the replacement part was slightly different and I had to do a minor mod. Hope not a cap, as more money and no direct replacement for Hoveland. I've actually enjoyed this system as it does what I want and don't sit and nit pick the flaw like I used to do with my main rig. Mac mini>Schiit Bifrost2>Zen tube buffer>Mapletree Ultra 4SE>Schiit Vidar1>Merlins + a RSL Speedwoofer 10. It's not really a true audio rig....it's a desktop/computer setup and for that it's pretty friggin good.

Hey!

Yeah, I was out of a loop for a while also. No, I didn't sell all my audio but I just haven't been hanging around here much. But a bit more so now. Actually my system haven't change much the past 10 years.

I see some suggestion sending your speaker to GR. Not a bad idea if shipping is not a problem for you. It would be interesting to hear from you how you feel about them after the upgrade both with the Merlin and the Maggie.

As a DIYer, I find that sometime more expensive parts like more expensive cap doesn't always make thing sound better to "me"

Anyway, keep us posted.