YG Acoustics Tor

minatophase3

YG Acoustics Tor
« on: 4 Oct 2023, 05:33 pm »
Over the weekend I visited my local hi-fi shop looking to purchase a REL subwoofer.  While there he was excited for me to hear the YG Acoutsics Tor bookshelf speakers.  I spend about 30 minutes listening to these amazing speakers and was extremely impressed with what I heard.  I currently have Spatial Audio M4 Sapphires and think they are wonderful speakers, but the Tor speakers were in a different league!  Of course they are more than double the price, but man they sounded amazing. 

Until last weekend I had never heard of YG Acoustics but the Tor are now at the top of my list if/when I decide to move on from the M4s.

Just wanted to share an enjoyable audio experience.

Tim

WGH

Re: YG Acoustics Tor
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2023, 06:01 pm »
Over the weekend I visited my local hi-fi shop looking to purchase a REL subwoofer.  While there he was excited for me to hear the YG Acoutsics Tor bookshelf speakers.

I have heard the big YG speakers at audio shows, yes they are amazing. Careful system matching is important or they will peal the wallpaper off the walls.

If you are still looking for a REL sub then Upscale Audio has the deal of the century until they run out.

REL G1 MkII Subwoofer - open box $4,395 (perfect condition) with full factory warranty and free shipping. List $5,500. This is the last time a new G1 MkII can be bought at this price because they are discontinued.
https://upscaleaudio.com/products/rel-g1-mk-ii-reference-subwoofer-piano-black

The G1 MkII is between the REL Carbon Special and the $7,000 No. 31. Unfortunately, the G1 MkII has been discontinued, retail price used to be $5,500. I haven't seen a used G1 MkII for a while, the old original G1's show up all the time but they are long in the tooth and I am afraid the driver would have the same design flaw as the original G2 driver.

I am listening to the G1 MkII right now and words cannot describe how amazing it sounds on both music and Blu-ray movies. Streaming movies attenuate the lowest bass, uncompressed Blu-ray soundtracks really show off what this sub can do. Clear, deep, and explosive without a hint of compression. And loud, very loud like in the theater, almost scary, I had to turn it down.

minatophase3

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2023, 06:21 pm »
The G1 MII looks really nice, but I don't need that much sub.  Even felt the Carbon Special was too much for my needs so ended up getting a S/812, should arrive this Friday!

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2023, 06:46 pm »
... so ended up getting a S/812, should arrive this Friday!

A buddy has the S/812, it's a nice sub too.

:thumb:

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2023, 08:13 pm »
Congrats on listening to YG’s.  They are extremely musical, detailed and revealing of everything upstream.  My system changed when I brought in the Carmel 2s.  They mate very well with REL subs in my experience.  Now my previous mains in the Maggie 3.6’s are my surround speakers. 

Hope you’re able to move up to the YG’s in the near future.   There may be a wait after your order, as my dealer tells me that it may take a while to fill with the release of the Reference 3 speakers and upgrades from the 2’s.

minatophase3

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2023, 04:29 pm »
Maggie 3.6's as surrounds, that's awesome!  The Carmel 2's look like an amazing speaker, can only imagine how good they sound given how good the lower end Peak series Tor sounded.