Introduction

bman484

Introduction
« on: 27 Oct 2021, 06:41 pm »
I am a new proud owner of Salk Song3 towers with a Song3 center channel. I’m beyond excited to be learning about this amazing piece of equipment. I am somewhat new to this world, but have spent countless hours over the past few months learning and decided on Salk. My listening experience will be 70/30 HT/music. I have yet to decide on an amplifier and subwoofer, but have been leaning towards the Rythmik FV15HP to round out my 5.2.4 system. Any suggestions would be appreciated on both. Right now I am just running them temporarily off of a Denom x6700h and still love the quality of the sound. Their final resting place will be in my basement media room once that is completed in the next few months. Thank you!

WGH

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2021, 01:04 am »
I have yet to decide on an amplifier and subwoofer, but have been leaning towards the Rythmik FV15HP to round out my 5.2.4 system. Any suggestions would be appreciated on both.

I have a feeling the ported Rythmik FV15HP will be great for HT but too slow and ponderous for music, Salk speakers are fast so you should look for a sealed sub.

REL is having an October Sale. Everyone here at AC knows I'm a fan of REL subs, they are one of the few brands along with the sealed Rythmik that are fast enough to blend seamlessly with Salk speakers. I suggest calling REL customer support to see what they suggest for your room size and speakers, most people guess wrong. Since the Song3 goes down to 33 Hz the sub crossover will cover the frequencies from 30 Hz on down.

Take a look at the REL HT/1508 Predator Subwoofer - Sealed design, CarbonGlas™ 15” (380 mm) driver with fully 3” (150 mm) of fore-and-aft stroke, driven by a powerful 800w amplifier. Sale Price$1599.00.
The Rythmik FV15P is $1699.00.

The Music Room is an A++ dealer, bulletproof packaging, super fast delivery. Here are all the REL subs on sale:
https://tmraudio.com/search.php?search_query=REL

But definitely call REL first, their pre-sale advise is invaluable.

strateahed

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2021, 03:29 am »
WGH +1 advice to call REL.

As far as choices, the split you mentioned is 70/30 in favor of HT, so the HT/1508 would seem the logical choice. I have a REL HT/1003 to fill out the low-end for Tekton Enzo X/L's - which go down to 30 Hz. In my experience and in my room, the HT/1003 is not quite as musical as I'd like. But then, I'm more like 90/10 music versus HT.

In the past I've owned a 12-inch Rythmik and an older Hsu down firing sub. The Hsu sounded great, but the amp just quit one day. :scratch:  Recently I've been in contact with REL, and their most musical sub under $2,000 is the T/9X. My plan is to replace the HT/1003 with this one; and knowing what I know now, if I were in your situation and wanting to get the most out of those beautiful Salks, that would be the route I'd take.  Just my 2 cents. Of course YMMV.

Happy Listening!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2021, 11:58 am »
As always the room is the second biggest component after loudspeakers and inherent room induced bass peaks/dips can result in 30 dB swings!  Floyd Toole, renowned acoustician, promotes multiple (4) subwoofers as the best way to address those peaks/dips.  Suggest reading Toole's "Sound Reproduction" (either edition).  Agree that for a mixed use system sealed subwoofers are the best option.  Check out Audio Kinesis where the subwoofer swarm is described.

Also if building a listening room highly recommend insulating it well (including ductwork and door).  Avoid recessed can light fixtures.  And above all avoid small/squarish rooms.  16 years ago I followed Fibonacci ratios in the shape of my dedicated room (8ft x 13ft x 21ft), and except for the recessed cans insulated the room effectively and added GIK (find them here at Audio Circle) treatments plus randomly filled bookshelves to act as "informal" (and adjustable) diffusers. 
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2021, 03:14 pm by JLM »