VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

davidc1

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #1280 on: 9 Oct 2021, 07:22 pm »
Son of a gun!!!

I just bought these for $500!!

I live in CA, he's in Georgia....how the heck am I gonna get them home?

VMPS Audio Super Tower III SE/R - (Duluth, Georgia)  $500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224632375417

"VMPS Audio Super Tower III SE/R Speaker

Currently in use, it is in good condition. Retail price : USD$13,000.00

It is not packed in wooden boxes, only thick cloth packaging, and only local pick-up is allowed."

ZAKski288

« Reply #1281 on: 10 Oct 2021, 02:49 am »
Nice speakers David, It called a long long road trip. Ah just look at it as, You get to see the other half of the
United States.  I almost bid and I’m 11hours away. Good Luck

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #1282 on: 10 Oct 2021, 11:57 am »
Fly to Georgia, rent a U Haul van, drive home, be happy.  Or hire a custom shipping service to pack and ship them, not UPS.  I suspect the item wasn't sold, the listing was removed.

JakeJ

« Reply #1283 on: 10 Oct 2021, 12:49 pm »
Frieghters & Craters is one company.  I've also heard (read) Old Dominion is a good quality shipper but I don't think they provide crating.

Google shippers that specialize in handling antique furniture and will crate the speakers.  Will not be cheap and if it were me (in my younger days) I would likely go with Letitroll's plan because it would be way more fun.

davidc1

« Reply #1284 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:19 pm »
Fly to Georgia, rent a U Haul van, drive home, be happy.  Or hire a custom shipping service to pack and ship them, not UPS.  I suspect the item wasn't sold, the listing was removed.

No, the bidding ended yesterday at about 12pm. I was the only one that bid. I was flabergasted. Didn't think I was gonna get them, so I didn't think anything about how to get them here.

Here's the listing. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224632375417?nma=true&si=pATzFBlrkYxJ%252FYV2sj0xCYE6fyY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

davidc1

« Reply #1285 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:27 pm »
The roadtrip I would ordinarily do, I'd just take a couple of use it or lose it PTO days. But, my mom is in hospice...it would really such if something happened to hear in the 4-5 days involved. Flights to Atlanta are cheap! Astonishingly only $50-100. Do airlines ship stuff like this back? I'm sure I'd pay an oversize baggage fee...but do they do it?

Some shippers using something called Shipley have already contacted me. Seems to be a place were the transport people sort of bid for jobs. First one was about $2k. Several more came through and they kept decreasing the prices like a bidding war. The latest was just over $1000. But, I haven't looked into how it all really works.

davidc1

« Reply #1286 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:32 pm »
Also, it appears these speakers that were listed on eBay on put up in this thread are the same as the wood grain is identical to the left speaker. Does anybody know anything about these?

Can you view archived eBay stuff anywhere?

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122314.msg1808975;topicseen#msg1808975

davidc1

« Reply #1287 on: 10 Oct 2021, 08:18 pm »
Looks like these are the same ones as well.

Anybody know anything about their history?

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649628668-vmps-super-tower-iii-ser/

/mp

« Reply #1288 on: 10 Oct 2021, 08:41 pm »
Frieghters & Craters is one company.  I've also heard (read) Old Dominion is a good quality shipper but I don't think they provide crating.

Google shippers that specialize in handling antique furniture and will crate the speakers.  Will not be cheap and if it were me (in my younger days) I would likely go with Letitroll's plan because it would be way more fun.

FWIW, the quote to ship a pair of RM40s from CA to NJ was almost $1K ~5 years ago.

oliverbubbles

« Reply #1289 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:17 am »
DavidC1

If it gets to be too much for your desires, I’d be interested in buying them from you. I live in upstate SC and am only half day away. I know it’s not likely, just throwing it out there.

Steven

esprits4s

« Reply #1290 on: 14 Oct 2021, 01:25 am »
Congrats!  I almost bid on those as well, but decided last minute to pass as I didn't see making the trip down to pick them up any time soon.  Plus, I already have a pair in my basement waiting to be worked on:)  Good luck with them, and please share how they work out for you!

davidc1

« Reply #1291 on: 16 Oct 2021, 06:40 pm »
DavidC1

If it gets to be too much for your desires, I’d be interested in buying them from you. I live in upstate SC and am only half day away. I know it’s not likely, just throwing it out there.

Steven

I will keep you in mind if things don't work out. I haven't told my wife yet...so who knows?! lol

/mp

« Reply #1292 on: 17 Oct 2021, 05:12 pm »
....I haven't told my wife yet...so who knows?!....

Chortle.

oliverbubbles

« Reply #1293 on: 5 Nov 2021, 11:23 pm »
Davidc1

Just checking in man. Did you ever get these home? If not, I’m still interested.

davidc1

« Reply #1294 on: 6 Nov 2021, 01:02 am »
Davidc1

Just checking in man. Did you ever get these home? If not, I’m still interested.

Just getting the transportation finalized. After some delays due to difficulties in translating Chinese<->English, my mother's recent passing, and finding a company to pack and transport the speakers, I finally will be completed this next week. While I did get a good deal on the speakers, the cost of packing and transporting them puts the cost in a more "normal" range for what these usually sell for.

I will still keep you in mind though.

rbbert

« Reply #1295 on: 6 Nov 2021, 02:23 pm »
Given the vintage of these speakers and Brian's subsequent advances in crossover components it would probably be worth replacing at least the capacitors and possibly the binding posts (or doing away with them entirely and direct wiring instead).  John Casler can probably give you some help with this.

davidc1

« Reply #1296 on: 6 Nov 2021, 03:03 pm »
Given the vintage of these speakers and Brian's subsequent advances in crossover components it would probably be worth replacing at least the capacitors and possibly the binding posts (or doing away with them entirely and direct wiring instead).  John Casler can probably give you some help with this.

Thanks very much. They do happen to have the classic 5-way binding posts.

But...advances in crossovers you say...weren't his crossovers specific to whatever drivers he was using? Also, no electrolytics capacitors, so no degradation..I think?

rbbert

« Reply #1297 on: 6 Nov 2021, 09:35 pm »
I would ask John.  There were some specific capacitor brands Brian came to like, and some since his passing (e.g., Dueland) which have become high-end favorites.

davidc1

« Reply #1298 on: 6 Nov 2021, 10:03 pm »
I would ask John.  There were some specific capacitor brands Brian came to like, and some since his passing (e.g., Dueland) which have become high-end favorites.

Yes, back then he used good quality name brand caps, the difference with Brian being he would actually measure the values so that he would have a bundle of them with the exact values he wanted, as there are always tolerances in electronic components.

In the SE models, one of the options, which  these speakers have, is using Wondercap capacitors (I don't think there were any "high end" resistors or inductors back then). But, I  do not think Wondercap is in business anymore.

While I would want to replace any XO components that are defective or have drifted values over age, I don't think (somebody can chime in here) that this happens to any significant degree unless the capacitors are electrolytic (which are only used in amps and such). I've replaced many electrolytics in Carver amps the last couple of years.

Stimpy

« Reply #1299 on: 3 Dec 2021, 06:31 pm »
Pair piano black VMPS 626R speakers with external crossover in stands  -  (Draper, UT)  $1500

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649797708-pair-piano-black-vmps-626r-speakers-with-external-crossover-in-stands/

"VMPS 626R with FST and OXO (i.e. external crossover in the stands).

I'm the second owner of these beautiful speakers.
Piano black finish; they might even rate a 9, but conservatively an 8.

Includes extra extra grill covers that have the built in wave guides, and different wave guides that can be attached directly to the drives, as shown in a picture. So, can try these with all three options (i.e. no wave guide, or the two optional forms of wave guide).

Picture of the crossover and upgraded wiring is included.

Includes original shipping containers and original packaging.

Ships in four boxes each about 18"x 15" x 28". I can weigh each box. .

Selling because we sold our home (retiring) and I have to downsize from four spear systems to one small one.

I also have a pair of VMPS RM-40. These 626R sound nearly as good, except in the deep base, and probably have somewhat better focus and imaging.

I'll consider delivering or meeting you within a few hundred miles of the greater Salt Lake City area.

Includes:

Includes original shipping containers and original packaging.
Includes extra extra grill covers that have the built in wave guide."