Apogee Scintilla - can the Maraschino’s deal with the load?

Wind Chaser

Arguably the most difficult speaker to drive, the Apogee Scintilla’s were known as “Amp killers”.

I’m tempted try driving them with my Maraschino’s, but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea?

As you can see, the impedance falls below 1 ohm... http://www.lippaudio.org/old/MySystems/Scintilla/impedance.html

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Arguably the most difficult speaker to drive, the Apogee Scintilla’s were known as “Amp killers”.

I’m tempted try driving them with my Maraschino’s, but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea?

As you can see, the impedance falls below 1 ohm... http://www.lippaudio.org/old/MySystems/Scintilla/impedance.html

Thanks for starting this great thread!

I recommend MEGAshino.  Gobs of super clean power with high current capability and excellent control over the entire audio band.  Your Apogees might sound significantly better with the Cherry MEGA, but the Maraschino can also drive very low impedance.  Depends on your listening levels, types of music, and budget.  Send me an email at Support@DigitalAmp.com and we can discuss the details.

Wind Chaser

I don’t own the Scintillas but there’s a pair for sale within driving distance and I was tempted to go check them out thinking it might be a good idea to take the Maraschino’s along. The asking price seemed very reasonable and that’s what sparked my interest, but having looked into them further I’m going to pass.

BTW, I love my amps and I cannot imagine replacing them anything else. :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I recommend an Carver Amazing or ALIII instead Scintillas, lots of 3D soundstage and space when properly, seted seems to me minimum room size is 3,15M wide, 88dB and easy 8 ohms, it have no xover, ribbon run 200Hz til 40kHz, very sweet treble even with my SolidState Silver 9T.

PM me for the correct adjustment position in the room.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2019, 01:05 pm by FullRangeMan »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
I recommend an Carver Amazing or ALIII instead Scintillas, lots of 3D soundstage and space when properly, seted seems to me minimum room size is 3,15M wide, 88dB and easy 8 ohms, it have no xover, ribbon run 200Hz til 40Hz, very sweet treble even with my SolidState Silver 9T.

PM me for the correct adjustment position in the room.
Well, since you opened the door on alternate speakers....

Look at JTR 210RTs. REAL response down to low 30s and past 20kHz.  Smooth and silky when needed, yet they can also shake your house if you “rock out”.  95dB, too, and the lowest MEASURED distortion I’ve seen on REW to date.  Capable of very high SPL without compression.

If you like that “panel sound”, check out Magnepan 1.7i.  Only 86dB, though, but Cherry Amps drive them well.  They can make so-so recordings sound good, and they do especially well with vocals.