Cat just pee'd on my 14B!

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
Cat just pee'd on my 14B!
« on: 8 Aug 2015, 08:22 am »
No idea what's going on in their little mind, my 3yr old Turkish Van and his 3 kitties (2 months) just  decided to nest behind my amps....

And today at least one of them pee'd on the cloth dust cover of my 14B and the small ones are now especially attracted by the grilles on my MB2i,  which I got some heavy duty claw proof canvas covers made but they still manages to squeeze into the gap in front and climb all the way up...(those large mid ranges are especially fragile)

So...any experienced cat owners around? Any suggestions how to keep them away? I already tried 'restrict zone spray' and lemon/ citrus juice ...they fought the smell with pee...

Thanks

A

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Cat just pee'd on my 14B!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2015, 11:02 am »
Cats, the other white meat.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2015, 11:10 am »
The covers may be what's attracting them (small spaces).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2015, 11:14 am »
If its winter in your area the heat of the amp and the smell of hot varnish PCBs may attract pets, mainly cats.

decal

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2015, 11:35 am »
Cats are the spawn of Satan. Get rid of them before they destroy your stuff.

mav52

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:24 pm »
have you noticed a increase in the bass and mid-range :)

rodge827

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:36 pm »
Rub their nose in the pee and with a firm loving voice say NO!

Might work  :dunno:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:45 pm »
You are at the front end of an irreversibly escalating problem. Get rid of your system or take decal's advice. No middle ground available in this.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:53 pm »
have you noticed a increase in the bass and mid-range :)

:green: :green:  I would think if it were wet enough there would be a paws in the music

Phil A

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:58 pm »
Per the previous link I posted do not:

"What NOT to Do

Here are a few things to avoid when treating urine marking:

Do not rub your cat’s nose in his urine.
Do not throw things at your cat.
Do not clean up accidents with an ammonia-based cleanser. Urine contains ammonia, so cleaning with ammonia can attract your cat that same spot to urinate again."

*Scotty*

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2015, 01:02 pm »
You are going to have to clean up the cat pee with a product specifically made to eliminate the odor of the urine. As this is atypical behavior on the part of your cat you may need to have it visit the vet to see if there are any physical reasons for why it missed the litter box. You may need more than one litter box and the one you have must be scooped out everyday and depending on its size it may have to cleaned and the litter completely replaced once a week. If your room does not have a fancy multi-tier cat pole you might want to add one as well as a couple of scratching posts. If you put fresh catnip on the scratching posts and cat pole you may be able to attract the cats towards the preferred location and away from your gear.
 Don't locate the big cat pole near the loudspeakers or within jumping distance of same. A cat bed large enough for mother and kittens away from drafts in the room may also be a good idea.
Hope these ideas are helpful.
Scotty

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2015, 01:12 pm »
Macrojack is right!.....I love cats, but I can't have one because I love HiFi just as much. A cats instinct in a house is to catch a mouse. I'm sure their acute hearing goes to the woofer and tweeter direction which is right behind the grill cloth just luring them like a small hole in the baseboard. Grills off? The cone movement would be icing on the cake to a cat, way better than a fake mouse. And who doesn't like the feel of basking in the sun. Cats are small enough to bask ontop of an amp. As an extra,a vacuum tube amp cover might give a little vibration too like a coin operated hotel bed on TV sitcoms. If there is some kind of spray that will prevent those cats habits I will buy it and a cat.....sincerely Mark Korda...P.S. I forgot about a turntable arm in motion?

brother love

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2015, 01:14 pm »
You can try applying a cat urine deterrent after cleaning area in question with isopropyl alcohol:

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/repellents/whisker-city-no-mark-indoor-cat-urine-deterrent-zid36-5161165/cat-36-catid-200020;pgid=xi9Wu_p1FhtSRpv8Ff0oEfpr0000CUu830rl;sid=R2reQ4J9u3LZQ9e4uAOYR7B3iLRMj02j1aaPDz-I?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Another option:

Cats hate vacuum cleaners & will typically peel out at the sight of one.  Use a vacuum cleaner in the area in question to shoo them away, then leave the vacuum in the area afterwards for a few days until they settle in to a new area.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2015, 01:14 pm »
Macrojack is right!.....I love cats, but I can't have one because I love HiFi just as much. A cats instinct in a house is to catch a mouse. I'm sure their acute hearing goes to the woofer and tweeter direction which is right behind the grill cloth just luring them like a small hole in the baseboard. Grills off? The cone movement would be icing on the cake to a cat, way better than a fake mouse. And who doesn't like the feel of basking in the sun. Cats are small enough to bask ontop of an amp. As an extra,a vacuum tube amp cover might give a little vibration too like a coin operated hotel bed on TV sitcoms. If there is some kind of spray that will prevent those cats habits I will buy it and a cat.....sincerely Mark Korda...P.S. I forgot about a turntable arm in motion?

Cats make wonderful DJs  :o - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy_3fDVRhZI

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2015, 02:06 pm »
Get a super soaker water pistol and let 'em have it any time they get near your audio.
You can do that from the comfort of your listening chair, the water range on those pistols is impressive.

After getting wet a few times they'll stay away as cats hate getting wet.

mav52

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2015, 02:11 pm »
Get a super soaker water pistol and let 'em have it any time they get near your audio.
You can do that from the comfort of your listening chair, the water range on those pistols is impressive.

After getting wet a few times they'll stay away as cats hate getting wet.

Just be really careful that your system isn't powered on, water and electronics just doesn't mix  :nono:

Blackmore

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2015, 02:20 pm »
I've made "cat un-friendly" mats to discourage my cats from certain areas.  Using card stock or really thin poster board, I put thumbtacks facing upwards with the spacing smaller than the smallest cats paws.  One step and they get an unpleasant reminder to avoid that area.  They aren't hurt, just wary of that spot.  A more humane approach is to use double sided carpet tape around your gear.  Most cats don't like that fly-paper you've placed around your audio and will avoid it. You'll have to replace it as it loses its stickiness.  Elevate your speaker wires and power cords too or cover them with carpet runners to keep the fur-babies from nesting in your wire nest. 

Once that's taken care of, contact your vet to see what's the real cause.  Urinary tract infections will cause them to go outside the litter box due to the discomfort.  Take care of your babies and they will get back to a normal litter box routine. 

I've used and enzyme cleaner from Bissell and it works pretty well.  Good luck with getting this under control

mhconley

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2015, 02:42 pm »
My Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers look like giant scratching posts to my cat.  I have the boxes my Klipsch RF-82 ii's came in covering them when not in use.  Luckily, he's not interested in the Klipschs.  I had a custom dust cover made for my Opera Consancne LP-2.0 to keep that cat away from it.  He also likes to lay on top of my YS Audio / Audio Experience A2 when not in use but that has not done any harm.  He's old enough where he won't pee on it. :)

Martin

GentleBender

« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2015, 03:11 pm »
You may want to look at these if you continue to have problems after a vet visit. http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_0_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scat+mat&sprefix=Scat+mat%2Caps%2C415

The vet visit and this will be much less expensive in the long run. Here is my little furball friend, who is the best cat ever. She doesn't jump on counters, amps, or mess with anything else.