Focal Electra 1027 vs. PSB Synchrony One

carl_lazlo

Focal Electra 1027 vs. PSB Synchrony One
« on: 1 Dec 2009, 05:31 pm »
I have a budget of about 5K and I am looking to replace the speakers I have.  I am looking at either the Focal Electra 1027's or the PSB Synchrony One's.  I listen to mostly electronica like Bjork, NIN, Portishead, etc.  I also like classic rock like Neil Young, Journey, etc.  I know these two things are on opposite sides of the spectrum but I would like to try to find something that will work pretty well for both.

Great bass would be nice but I really want something that images very well and has a very accurate sound.

Does anyone have any experiences with these speakers?  What are some of the strengths and weaknesses of each?

For $5K or less, can you all recommend something that may be a better value for the money?

Thanks!

K Shep

Re: Focal Electra 1027 vs. PSB Synchrony One
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2009, 08:31 pm »
Are you considering used speakers?

carl_lazlo

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2009, 08:33 pm »
I was not, but maybe it's not a bad idea.  I'm just a little worried about dropping $5K on used speakers and then have them go bad soon after.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2009, 08:40 pm »
I have a pair of Focal-JMLab Profile 908 bookshelf speakers. They are very small, but are capable of reasonable bass. The high end driver is very good. Now the 1027 Be is at another level altogether, tho the same driver principal is employed, featuring the inverted dome. I heard the top of the line speakers at RMAF, driven by some horrible coffin sized monoblocks. The system sounded like crap. The cost was probably near $300K. just for speakers and amps.

IMHO, the 1027 Be's have too many drivers, that I think muddy up the mix. For just a little bit more money, you should look at Jim Salk's HT-3s. The sound is awesome, the wood finish of your choice is beautiful and they are very balanced in sound, drivability and dynamics. These speakers I have heard several times and they are always a delight. They will play what ever you dish-out to them and do it very convincingly.

Sorry to add a third consideration to the list, but I had to do it.

Wayner  :D

srb

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2009, 09:01 pm »
I was not, but maybe it's not a bad idea.  I'm just a little worried about dropping $5K on used speakers and then have them go bad soon after.

Or having them arrive damaged.  The shipping risk is higher with heavier, larger floorstanders than with smaller, lighter monitors.

For just a little bit more money, you should look at Jim Salk's HT-3s. The sound is awesome, the wood finish of your choice is beautiful and they are very balanced in sound, drivability and dynamics. These speakers I have heard several times and they are always a delight. They will play what ever you dish-out to them and do it very convincingly.

Sorry to add a third consideration to the list, but I had to do it.

Wayner  :D

No apologies, Wayner.  Carl asked for recommendations that may be a better value for the money.

Although I don't own them (they're on a wish list), I will also mention the Salk HT2-TL @ ~$4K.  http://www.salksound.com/speakers_veracity_ht2-tl.shtml  I think you will get a higher quality (new vs. new) speaker due to the direct pricing than the ones you were looking at, with the attributes you are looking for - bass, imaging and accuracy.  Of course the HT3's will give you even more at ~ $5700.

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2009, 06:14 am »

Audio shops often have demo equipment or consignment at a reduced price.  I bought a preamp on consignment and saved more than 50%, I was able to take the preamp home and listen to the unit in my home, that is my idea of used.  I would be hesitant to purchase large floor standers from Audiogon too. 

srb

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2009, 06:26 am »
I would be hesitant to purchase large floor standers from Audiogon too.

Even though I brought up the subject, I did purchase a pair of floorstanders off of Audiogon!  But I was familiar with the great factory packaging and the seller offered to add additional packaging.  They arrived in great shape, but I did take a chance.

As far as the Salk speakers that I and others recommended, reading all the posts in the Salk forum of owners receiving their speakers, the Salk packaging is apparently second to none, so I would have no reservation having those shipped directly from the factory.

But for buying used, a local sale is very safe and comforting.  Besides demos or trade-ins at local dealers, I also check Audiogon with a search of the first three numbers of the zipcode, and see what jewels might be for sale around town.

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2009, 03:07 pm »
I would be hesitant to purchase large floor standers from Audiogon too.

Even though I brought up the subject, I did purchase a pair of floorstanders off of Audiogon!... I also check Audiogon with a search of the first three numbers of the zipcode, and see what jewels might be for sale around town.

And I have sold 3 pair of speakers on Augiogon, one pair shipped via UPS arrived damaged, one pair shipped FedEx arrived damaged the third pair was a local pick up.

I was tooling around Audiogon 3 months ago and discovered the zipcode search option, as Steve shared, simply type in the first 3 digits of your local zipcode, click on search and everything local posts...

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2009, 03:27 pm »
Bobby from Merlin always uses BAX Global for shipping as they are a much more careful w/ stuff than FedUp or OOPs. (more expensive though)

rydenfan

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2009, 02:53 pm »
I have listened to the Synchrony One's on a few different occasion and have always been extremely impressed with their price to performance ration. Excellent mids and top end and very full and deep bass.