How do I Chop off my Pedestal Subs?

Early B.

How do I Chop off my Pedestal Subs?
« on: 26 Aug 2019, 04:41 pm »
A question for the woodworkers --

I have a pair of OB pedestal subs. It's time to re-paint them, but one thing I don't like is the pedestal look. What tool do you recommend to chop off the inch or so of overhang off the top platform to make it flush with the box? Can I safely do this without removing the drivers?

Thanks. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: How do I Chop off my Pedestal Subs?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2019, 05:01 pm »
The best way I can think of, assuming the top is glued rather than bolted on, is with a circular say combined with a straight edge clamped to the top. A track saw is the best option but I doubt you want to shell out for one just to make 4 cuts.

I would mark the top so there would be about 1/8”-1/16” overhang left. Mark and line up the saw carefully. It’s no big deal if there is more of an overhang left. However, if you cut into the side you will have a mess to fix. The use a flush trim bit to clean up the overhang.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2019, 05:26 pm »
Depending on how your box is built, using the flush trim bit may not work on the front or rear of the cabinet because there is nothing for the bearing to ride on.

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2019, 05:50 pm »
Depending on how your box is built, using the flush trim bit may not work on the front or rear of the cabinet because there is nothing for the bearing to ride on.

Best,
Ed

Yep, that would be a problem. I built a jig to clamp into the opening to fix that problem but it only works if No-Rez hasn't been installed yet.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2019, 06:40 pm »

Best,
Ed

Yes, you'd have to  maybe   make a  guide for the  bearing to ride on   while trimming the front/rear  edges.  Even with a guide, you'll need to  be careful  at the joint between  guide and side panel,  if there is even a little   seam, it will traslate into a blemish from the  flush trim bit.
Don't forget,  once  you do this you'll have those  "fun"  seams  to deal with.  They are  much harder to  eliminate than  people think and  even harder not to have them  telegraph up through paint down the road.
Best  way  I know of is  epoxy , numerous layers  and lots of block sanding.

jay

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2019, 08:05 pm »
OK, thanks, fellas.

I only get one chance to do it right, so I'd better be careful. In fact, I should consider finding someone with more skills than me to do it or leave it alone.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2019, 08:32 pm »
If it's the bottom speakers in your system picture I'd leave it alone. The lip is about an inch? When I read pedestal look I thought it was going to be more like these:

http://gr-research.com/pedistale.aspx