Questions about VRX-1 balanced cable

happy

Questions about VRX-1 balanced cable
« on: 3 Nov 2006, 10:12 pm »
Hello,
I just bought a VDA-2 VAC-1 combo from audiogon - which I am really excited about - and I was curious about the VRX-1 balanced cable.  I will be using the dac with a Jungson integrated which has balanced inputs and thought this might be a great way to go.  I tried searching the web and numerous forums, but found little to no information other than mere mention.  So can you or someone else who may use this offer any more information on the build and characteristics of this cable?  Thanks.   

*Edit* After more looking I noticed they appear to be made by Harmonic Technology, but they have a half a dozen interconnect lines and I am not sure which ones they might be.  Thanks again.

CIAudio

Re: Questions about VRX-1 balanced cable
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2006, 01:11 am »
The VDA-2 has true balanced outputs, but with each phase on individual RCA connectors rather than a single XLR. To use it in balanced mode, you need a special cable, so we designed VRX-1.
It uses low capacitance shielded cable and connectors and is manufactured by Harmonic Technology specifically for us. It is not made from their existing line of cables and is only available through CIAudio.

koiman

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2006, 02:03 am »
Dusty,
Are the Channel Island D-200 with xlr connections true Balanced connections?
Thanks,
Lee

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2006, 03:13 am »
Are the Channel Island D-200 with xlr connections true Balanced connections?

a simple...Yes

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2006, 03:34 am »
While we're on the subject, Dusty, can you please tell me what the cost is to change from XLR to RCA? I seem to remember $100, still true? (D200s, 26db) Is there any kind of "tune-up" that can be done while the amps are being worked on - Like any new bits you've been playing with, or values that can be checked?
Now that I've settled on an RCA-only preamp, I think I want to get rid of the Neutric adapters.
Or look into RCA to XLR ICs.

Thanks

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2006, 04:29 am »
Yep, it's $100 a pair to change the jacks because both amps have to be completely disassembled and reassembled.

I can have custom Harmonic Tech cables made for you (RCA to XLR) for about $150 per pair in 1m length, slightly more for longer lengths.

krugorg

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2006, 04:02 pm »
Hello.  I have balanced inputs on my Anthem pre/pro, but how much improvement I will hear versus using unbalanced from the VDA-2 (given a 1m cable length)?  Is this a no-brainer?

Thanks!
Kyle

gooberdude

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2006, 04:44 pm »
Hey Happy,

Definitely trial an umbilical from Revelation Audio labs for your VDA-2/VAC-1 combo...the addition of that little cord really boosted the performance of my VPP-1/VAC-1 combo.

i also assembled a decent power cord for the VAC-1 from Oyaide & Furu plugs with DH Labs bulk AC cable, and the pc made a difference for the better...nothing like what the RAL umbilical did though.

CIAudio

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2006, 06:31 pm »
Hello.  I have balanced inputs on my Anthem pre/pro, but how much improvement I will hear versus using unbalanced from the VDA-2 (given a 1m cable length)?  Is this a no-brainer?

It will partially depend on the single-ended and balanced circuitry of your preamp, but all things being equal...balanced will offer the best performance.