Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!

kdbrink

Re: Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!
« Reply #360 on: 27 Jul 2011, 02:34 am »
Fired up my recently acquired Atlona hd577 for first time.  Mixed experience.  On DVD-A from Cambridge Audio 650bd (same mediatek chip as Oppo) went to 24/192 via hdmi & spdif co-ax, but I definitely prefer dvd-a with ca 650 as transport & spdif direct into cyrus dacx.  Tighter, more extended into bottom end, at least. We'll see if bedding in changes this over time.

Some issues - 1. then played a blue ray disc & screen had deep green all over it.  Went through all menus & couldn't see anything amiss 2. changed the hdmi cable over & then couldn't get hdmi audio out of 48khz, despite shutting down & re-setting edid.  3. then went to hdmi input 2 & reset everything again: eureka! 24/192 etc back, plus a real non-green hd image on blu-ray.

So what was that all about?  I sense instability here!  I haven't gone back to input 1 yet.  But, sacd is next - I need to get one, or more ...

I'm getting this green screen with my HD577. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

jamesg11

« Reply #361 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:11 am »
I think I eventually figured out it was the order of power on - try bluray player on first, then atlona on second.  Good luck with its temperamental nature!

kdbrink

« Reply #362 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:48 am »
I think I eventually figured out it was the order of power on - try bluray player on first, then atlona on second.  Good luck with its temperamental nature!

Because I'm using the Atlona also as a HDMI switch, I'd like to leave it on at all times.

Phil A

« Reply #363 on: 7 Aug 2011, 11:05 pm »
I am trying to see if I can arrange to get my Integra player over to Everything Audio Network as the DAC says 176.4kHz from SACD via the HDMI audio de-embedder and it sounds good and I want to verify it passes 24 bit vs. 16 bit.  Apparently John Gatski tests this capability as a regular part of his review.  I noted earlier about Sony players that will only pass 16 bit.  He just reviewed the Sony BDP-S1700ES (www.everythingaudio.net) and found:

“I tested the BDP-S1700ES high-resolution audio capability through the digital SPDIF and HDMI outputs by plugging the HDMI output into the Altona HDMI-to-SPDIF converter and then plugging the Altona SPDIF output into the ATI ADAC — with it visual word-length and sample-rate indicators. Using LPCM 24/96 audio tracks that I had burned to DVD-V and from AIX Records high-res audio DVD-Vs (the Sony does not play DVD-As), I found that the player would only pass 16-bit/96 kHz audio — not 24/96. And the SPDIF port spit out only 16/48; the copy-protect scheme at work again.”

Pluto

« Reply #364 on: 21 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm »
Having read through this long topic with great interest, may I ask for a summary of the state of the Sony art? That is to say, where do we now stand regarding the extraction of PCM from an SACD played on a current Sony Blu-ray machine, accompanied by an Atlona HD577 de-embedder?

As I understand it, Oppo OK but only 88.2kHz. Sony, theoretically 172kHz but ???. Any other options? As I see it, with the gathering momentum and increasing availability of hi-res files, there are distinctly sensible limits to the level of investment for the "ripping SACD" project and time, for this format, seems to be rapidly running out.

efhjr

• Why, why, why, why are we sleeping?
Should I upgrade my DAC?
« Reply #365 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:57 pm »
Wow, amazing thread!

I love listening to audio on my Oppo BDP-95. It's the best digital sound I've ever had. But thinking it could be even better is hard to ignore, especially since I have quite a few DVD-As and SACDs. I've currently got the Oppo and a Maverick Audio DAC (which only accepts up to 96 kHz, I believe).

So, I could buy a Monoprice splitter and end up with this:

Oppo --> HDMI 2 output to Monoprice 5557 splitter --> Coax into Maverick Audio DAC (only accepts up to 96 kHz)

Should I replace the Maverick with an Emotive XDA-1 to get the full, rich buttery hi-fi goodness?

srb

Re: Should I upgrade my DAC?
« Reply #366 on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:36 pm »
Should I replace the Maverick with an Emotive XDA-1 to get the full, rich buttery hi-fi goodness?

I would wait a bit.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with the XDA-1, but I think its extra value over other DACs in its price range lies more in having remote control, balanced outputs and 1U full-width rack-mountable enclosure.  I didn't think the sound quality itself was much better than other $300 - $400 DACs.

There is always the promise of a better DAC for the buck around the corner that is often more marketing hype than substance, but I would at least wait for the feedback on the soon to be shipped Schiit Bifrost DAC.

Steve

efhjr

• Why, why, why, why are we sleeping?
« Reply #367 on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:43 pm »

There is always the promise of a better DAC for the buck around the corner that is often more marketing hype than substance, but I would at least wait for the feedback on the soon to be shipped Schiit Bifrost DAC.

Thanks for that info -- the Bifrost looks interesting. You make very good points about the Emotiva, and those are things I'm not interested in.

Just to clarify -- if I can get 192 kHz out of the Oppo, but my current DAC only accepts 96 kHz, it'll be an improvement over the RCA audio output, right? But if I get a 192-capable DAC I'll hear the full potential of the audio output?

I wonder what the Maverick would do if I fed it 192 kHz?

Phil A

« Reply #368 on: 26 Aug 2011, 06:26 pm »
Thanks for that info -- the Bifrost looks interesting. You make very good points about the Emotiva, and those are things I'm not interested in.

Just to clarify -- if I can get 192 kHz out of the Oppo, but my current DAC only accepts 96 kHz, it'll be an improvement over the RCA audio output, right? But if I get a 192-capable DAC I'll hear the full potential of the audio output?

I wonder what the Maverick would do if I fed it 192 kHz?

For DVD-A you can get 192 from the Oppo but for SACD 88.2

Phil A

« Reply #369 on: 26 Aug 2011, 06:28 pm »
Having read through this long topic with great interest, may I ask for a summary of the state of the Sony art? That is to say, where do we now stand regarding the extraction of PCM from an SACD played on a current Sony Blu-ray machine, accompanied by an Atlona HD577 de-embedder?

As I understand it, Oppo OK but only 88.2kHz. Sony, theoretically 172kHz but ???. Any other options? As I see it, with the gathering momentum and increasing availability of hi-res files, there are distinctly sensible limits to the level of investment for the "ripping SACD" project and time, for this format, seems to be rapidly running out.

Welcome to the forum.  If you read the last few pages you only get 16 bit from the Sony but 24 bit from Oppo.

kdbrink

« Reply #370 on: 29 Aug 2011, 12:24 am »
I just checked the Atlona site and it seems that the AT-HD577 has been discontinued and "replaced" by the AT-HD570. I wonder if they got tired of tech support inquiries about green screens.

Phil A

Pluto

« Reply #372 on: 31 Aug 2011, 10:41 am »
Welcome to the forum.  If you read the last few pages you only get 16 bit from the Sony but 24 bit from Oppo.
Thank you for that. And my next question in trying to cut to the core of this monster thread concerns...

...the differences between the Atlona and Monoprice de-embedders. OK - the Monoprice unit does not incorporate the ability to remember and subsequently "synthesize" an HDMI endpoint but what is the real-world implication of this?

If I get an Oppo player (thanks for reminding me about the 16/24 bit thing) and Monoprice de-embedder, will this do the job or is there more besides?

I'm grateful for your indulgence - I'm seeking clarity from this huge thread while seeking to achieve what, in an ideal world, ought to be a simple task!
:duh:

Phil A

« Reply #373 on: 31 Aug 2011, 03:25 pm »
I use a BDP-83 in the main system with the Port-ta/Monoprice de-embedder and it requires no handshake.  I also have and am currently using (and hope to have it eventually tested for 24 bit vs. 16 bit, an Integra DPS-6.9 universal.  It is an old DVD universal and is being closed out.  The DAC registers 176.4kHz and it requires no handshake.  There are not many left and if it is confirmed I am getting 24 bit, I'll try to get one for the secondary basement system.  The Sony I have required a handshake to work with the Port-ta/Monoprice de-embedder and I currently have it in the office system for Blu-Ray and passing DSD to a Pioneer 1120 receiver.  I have to re-visit the Oppo BDP-93 again at some point.  It is in the bedroom system not hooked to the de-embedder.  When I briefly had it there I could not get it to output sound via the de-embedder and I probably have to try alternative settings.  I have an old Oppo DV980H in the secondary basement hooked to the Port-ta/Monoprice de-embedder as well.

Pluto

« Reply #374 on: 1 Sep 2011, 07:17 am »
I use a BDP-83 in the main system with the Port-ta/Monoprice de-embedder and it requires no handshake

...I have to re-visit the Oppo BDP-93 again at some point...I could not get it to output sound via the de-embedder and I probably have to try alternative settings.

Would appreciate further analysis of this aspect. I'm surprised that there appears to be any functional difference between two Oppo units of such similar vintage.

Marius

« Reply #375 on: 1 Sep 2011, 08:03 am »
HI,

Bluecoast offers SACD downloads in Dsdiff format. Any thought on how to play these files through my BDA directly or is that not possible? http://bluecoastrecords.com/dsd-info Would like to skip the Disc-burning now that I have the BDP1...

Marius
sorry if this has been discussed already or elsewhere, please point me to that then...I'll ask on the Bryston forum also.

Phil A

« Reply #376 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm »
Would appreciate further analysis of this aspect. I'm surprised that there appears to be any functional difference between two Oppo units of such similar vintage.

Someone told me I may just have to set the HDMI output to PCM on the BDP-93.  I had the 93 in the main system for a few weeks (but never tried it with the de-embedder at that point) when I first got it and then decided to take it out of the bedroom system and try it with the HDMI audio de-embedder to see if I could use both HDMI outs (one going to the pre/pro and one to the de-embedder) and not swap HDMI cables (which is not a huge deal as I have the cable going to the pre/pro just sitting behind it).  I don't recall what combinations of settings I tried.  The BDP-83 was never an issue.  I just plugged in the cable to the de-embedder and got sound.  I hope to get the Integra DPS 6.9 tested before the end of September.  I know I get 176.4kHz and it sounds great but I want to confirm I'm getting 24 bit vs. 16 bit.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #377 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:28 pm »
HI,

Bluecoast offers SACD downloads in Dsdiff format. Any thought on how to play these files through my BDA directly or is that not possible? http://bluecoastrecords.com/dsd-info Would like to skip the Disc-burning now that I have the BDP1...

Marius
sorry if this has been discussed already or elsewhere, please point me to that then...I'll ask on the Bryston forum also.

Marius,
This is an HDMi de-embedder thread.  I'd be happy to discuss on another thread. (BDP won't play native DIFF files, must be converted to PCM as I do all my SACD rips....see SACD rip with PS3 thread)

Marius

« Reply #378 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:43 pm »
Sorry for that, did not realize because of the thread title....no mention of HDMI or deembedder there  :scratch:

since diff files are sacd (that's what Blue Coast states) I thought to be on topic. Again, sorry for being off-topic.

I did see the PS3 thread, just thought to see another option. Apparently not   :cry:

Greets,
Marius

Marius,
This is an HDMi de-embedder thread.  I'd be happy to discuss on another thread. (BDP won't play native DIFF files, must be converted to PCM as I do all my SACD rips....see SACD rip with PS3 thread)

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #379 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:54 pm »
No problem, sorry for the title..  Back when this started it was the ONLY option.  SACD ripping was not invented yet (thanks Mr Wicked).  I'm now doing nothing but ripping.