Getting serious about being an audiophile

cachitongo

Getting serious about being an audiophile
« on: 22 Jan 2024, 02:59 am »
I'm a music freak and love listening to music! I have a pretty good (budget) system (I think) but looking forward to making it better over time with the help and advice from the people in this forum!

James Edward

Re: Getting serious about being an audiophile
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2024, 03:12 pm »
To paraphrase an old Italian guy-
“Abandon all hope, ye who enter here”   :green:

JCarney

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2024, 03:32 pm »
To paraphrase an old Italian guy-
“Abandon all hope, ye who enter here”   :green:

:rotflmao: James Edward is correct, you're screwed now. :lol: Tell us about your current system and what you would like to upgrade first. Tell us about room treatments if any and be prepared for more answers and options than you thought possible.

Have fun,
JCarney

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2024, 04:37 pm »
Welcome!

GeorgeAb

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2024, 08:41 pm »
Welcome! Just don't get too series and fail to enjoy what you have. That said it is fun making incremental improvements and validating with your ears and intuition.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2024, 12:45 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2024, 01:30 am »
:rotflmao: James Edward is correct, you're screwed now. :lol: Tell us about your current system and what you would like to upgrade first. Tell us about room treatments if any and be prepared for more answers and options than you thought possible.

Have fun,
JCarney

Welcome to AC!

Consider yourself warned. We'll happily encourage you to spend money (and more!) on audio gear.   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2024, 01:45 am »
I'm a music freak and love listening to music! I have a pretty good (budget) system (I think) but looking forward to making it better over time with the help and advice from the people in this forum!
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
My unsolicited advice is dont expend a ton of cash on great equips, its easy build expensive hi quality equips. Look for great sound equips at low prices.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2024, 11:50 am »

In bold is says it all. Please don't ever change that! Better equipment can make it possible to enjoy music even more. But you'll find that as you move up the upgrade ladder, you'll reach a point where it takes relatively more $$$ outlays to achieve what may seem like smaller sound quality improvements. 

When you get to the point when you're happy enough with your current equipment that it doesn't seem like better and more expensive components are necessary, stop, sit back and enjoy the music.

**Disclaimer: Many, if not most "audiophiles" never get to that point.

Whenever possible, audition anything that you're thinking of buying in your own system. You can't always predict "system synergy" based on anyone else's opinion (or the reviews), but you'll know it when you hear it.