SP3 Front Speakers Full vs Small with/without Extra Bass

hipp

I notice that when I set Front speakers to Full, the signal out display loses the .1 and displays 7.0. I am playing 2ch analogue in and DD music 7.1 out ( now 7.0). All dsp modes show 7.0. The bass is Fuller this way in my system. My subwoofer is receiving bass from the “Small” surround and rear speakers. Centre speaker is Full.
Since there is no LFE signal in my 2ch sources can I assume that in this case 7.0 and 7.1 are really the same based on the way I am configuring the bass? Or would it be more accurate to put Extra Bass to On which brings back the .1 and display now shows the 7.1?
Any thoughts would be most appreciated 😀

Mag

Re: SP3 Front Speakers Full vs Small with/without Extra Bass
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2019, 09:23 am »
I think it would depend on whether your fronts are full range speakers. If you set it to Full I assume bass is directed to the bass drivers, which would give you in essence 2 subwoofer bass. With extra bass, if you like the sound of extra bass, then I would use that too. If however your fronts are small speakers, then I think you would get better mid-range if you set the speakers to small, and use extra bass, which would direct the bass to the subwoofer.

Another trick you can try is if you have Full range fronts, you can set speakers to small. This can give you better mid-range upper bass, and you can still use extra bass which will send lower frequencies to your sub. It also takes the bass work load off the amp, so you can crank it louder.

That's the beauty of the SP3, I have an SP2, which gives you options to customize sound to your liking. Another trick is you can change distances for speakers, which can give you a more forward sound or laid back sound.

Currently though I'm into 4 channel stereo with my SP2. :smoke:

hipp

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2019, 12:58 am »
That makes good sense. Thanks. I do have full range floor standers. In my system it seems a tighter bass when setting speakers to Full. This specifically in DD PLii Music.
Essentially when one sets the front speakers to Full, the .1 disappears as then its as you point out, like 2 subwoofers through the 2 large front speakers. Adding the Extra Bass then brings back the .1 which I think is the bass now also being sent to the subwoofer. One question: Is  LFE content routed to the Sub irrespective of whether the output is 7.0 or 7.1?
How does 4 channel stereo compare to DD processing though?  Maybe I’ll try that😳

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2019, 10:53 am »
That makes good sense. Thanks. I do have full range floor standers. In my system it seems a tighter bass when setting speakers to Full. This specifically in DD PLii Music.
Essentially when one sets the front speakers to Full, the .1 disappears as then its as you point out, like 2 subwoofers through the 2 large front speakers. Adding the Extra Bass then brings back the .1 which I think is the bass now also being sent to the subwoofer. One question: Is  LFE content routed to the Sub irrespective of whether the output is 7.0 or 7.1?
How does 4 channel stereo compare to DD processing though?  Maybe I’ll try that😳

I don't have the manual for the SP3. It makes sense to me with 'Extra Bass' 7.1 with fronts set to full, you are getting LFE sent to front speakers. So that would depend on where your fronts roll off as to how low bass frequencies can go. Then you have an additional sub, which would depend on where the crossover frequencies is set at for 'Extra Bass' in the bottom end.

With speakers set to small '.1' would direct LFE to sub at whatever the sub crossover frequency is set at.

With 4 channel stereo, I'm not using the processor's soundfields, just digital stereo, and the multichannel out interconnects to a mixer, the mixer's outs to amps. Before though I was using the processor in Neo:6. When I purchased my Model T speakers, I was having a power problem with 'Center channel' engaged. So I set the 'Center' channel to off, and the Model T's just came to life. So with the Model T's I was getting the imaging I wanted, in stereo. With the extra 2-channel stereo, (full range speakers in surround duty) I widen the soundstage to the length of my room 25', and it provides additional sound reinforcement.

My speaker arrangement is tailered to my room in an un-conventional set up. You may be better off using a conventional 7.0 or 7.1 speaker arrangement if you have an appropriate room for multi-channel.

hipp

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2019, 06:09 pm »
That has been a great help to my understanding. Thanks. And yes my room is suited to Multi Channel
Howard