I need some help with my Nirvana Speaker Cable

Sam-fi

I need some help with my Nirvana Speaker Cable
« on: 31 May 2021, 08:30 pm »
I bent a banana plug while connecting it to my speaker, does anyone know what brand these are? or where I can find a replacement plug?

Thanks,
Sam

thorman

Re: I need some help with my Nirvana Speaker Cable
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2021, 12:26 am »
 Why not try putting a Nail or something to fill the gap inside the bent Banana and bend it back. It shouldn't be that difficult with nothing to lose.......I doubt the Banana is that rigid and should bend back. Good luck...

Sam-fi

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2021, 05:02 pm »
Why not try putting a Nail or something to fill the gap inside the bent Banana and bend it back. It shouldn't be that difficult with nothing to lose.......I doubt the Banana is that rigid and should bend back. Good luck...

This image posted was before the damage. When it bent it had a 50 degree bend in it, and when I moved it back into place it felt like some of the crystal structure separated (crunchy feeling) and there is a crease across more than half of it now, I am assuming this would be like a $15 banana plug to replace if I can just find a supplier, too bad there is no contact email to the guy who owned virtue, I'm sure he could help me out.

Also, the cable functions fine, I just want a new one because maybe there could be some signal loss due to the crease even if I can't hear it, I want a solid crease free banana.

thorman

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2021, 06:32 pm »
From what I could find, it seems that Virtue Audio once had a Manufacturer's Circle on Audio Circle , but has since gone out of Business ( just a guess ) . Not very likely you could find another replacement . More than likely stuff was made in China , so you may have to either use it the way it is or send the cables to someone to have the re-done. I can recommend  Schmitt Custom Audio cables. He does great work and is very reasonably priced with various options . I have purchased custom cables from Schmitt, so I speak from actually dealing with Schmitt....Good Luck.....

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2021, 07:39 pm »
This image posted was before the damage. When it bent it had a 50 degree bend in it, and when I moved it back into place it felt like some of the crystal structure separated (crunchy feeling) and there is a crease across more than half of it now, I am assuming this would be like a $15 banana plug to replace if I can just find a supplier, too bad there is no contact email to the guy who owned virtue, I'm sure he could help me out.

Also, the cable functions fine, I just want a new one because maybe there could be some signal loss due to the crease even if I can't hear it, I want a solid crease free banana.

Sam IMHO doubt it, no worry. If it works a connection is made. If it were an IC a short could occur.

charles

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2021, 09:42 pm »
I have fixed a bent one in the past by straightening it out and solder a fat 10 ga piece of copper the correct length in the connector

These are pretty good. Screw connected no solder
http://www.knukonceptz.com/sp/eks-bfa-banana-plugs-set-of-4/

Sam-fi

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2022, 10:21 pm »
Bumping an old topic because I don't want to start a new thread about this, it's a different issue I'd like to talk about with these cables and the interconnects, the coating on my cables are getting slightly melted and sticky, the plasticizers are failing? Not sure what I can do about it?  :?

bacobits1

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2022, 10:40 pm »
Sticky? Yea I would suggest new cables now for sure. Lots of decent priced good cables. Try Duelund 16 or 12ga cables from Parts Connextion. Mogami has some well liked ones too.
How long do you need? Or all assembeled from Blue Jeans Cable. Do some reading lots out there.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/sp/eks-bfa-banana-plugs-set-of-4/
Already mentioned,these are pretty good so soldering, easy, I have them here.