NX Studio Floorstanding?

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Re: NX Studio Floorstanding?
« Reply #40 on: 7 Apr 2024, 03:03 am »
Yes. I just got 4.

Assuming you're using these for sub stands... is the amp Hobbs mentioned a necessity or are you using something else?

Thank you.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 7 Apr 2024, 04:39 am »
Assuming you're using these for sub stands... is the amp Hobbs mentioned a necessity or are you using something else?

Thank you.

These drivers are designed for open baffle use so they need one of the Rythmik amps that has the open baffle shelving circuit.

Since my electronics are all balanced, I'll be using the A370XLR3 amps that I already have. These won't be built into the stands but will sit behind them like they do with the Double Troubles I have under my NX-Otica MTMs. Personally, I prefer the A370 series amps over the HX300 series due to the increased input and adjustment capabilities of the A370s. The design would have to be modified a little to mount the A370 on the stand since it's about 3" wider and taller than the HX300.

bhassel

« Reply #42 on: 8 Apr 2024, 02:09 am »
They are one of Danny's designs. https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129161.0

They can be placed close to the wall. This would be a killer combo, especially if the choice of the Studio Monitor is for it's ability to be placed closer to the wall which is lost if the monitors are on top of open baffle H-Frames.

Bingo! I've waited this long to start my kit, maybe a little longer is a good idea!

Bob

BGFan2024

« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2024, 09:52 pm »

- I might want to decrease the depth of the speaker a little (a few inches) to create a smaller footprint. I recognize this would make the slope of the angled top a bit steeper - would this matter much? This would mean the woofer enclosure would be taller of course.

- Is this a bad idea? I'd welcome any feedback on these ideas or on what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

Hi JD,

If you decrease the depth, couldn't you could just shorten the "ramp" instead of changing the angle? It is true that if you keep the ramp the same length, you have to lower the front end of it and (which of course affects the rearward firing sounds from the tweeter). It should reduce reflections off the rear wall, I would think. However, if you make it taller to keep the internal cabinet volume the same, wouldn't the front baffle dimension have to change accordingly? Or are you making your own baffle, including the wave guide? By the way, I sympathize totally with you problem. I'm looking at a way to solve the same problem (depth). I just haven't figured it out yet.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2024, 11:29 pm »
Here are some pics of the dual 8" servo sub speaker stands for the NX-Studio Monitor. what I was after was recessed drivers and a stand height that when combined with 2" isolation footers under the stands (here I'm using Gaia IIIs) and isolation seperators between the stand and Studio Monitor (here using Isoacoustics Orea Bronze pucks which are 1" thick) the center of the tweeter would be 39" from the floor as this is ear height for me on my couch. With the GAIA IIIs and Oreas, the center of the tweeter came in at 38.5" without an amp in the stands. The height can be increased to move the tweeter center up higher but there isn't any room to make the stands shorter.

These stands are stout. The side panels and top are 1.5" thick BB, the base is 2.25" thick BB, and the front panel is 3/4" thick BB across the interior opening. The inside is lined with No-Rez. 

While not exactly a floorstander, these sub stands accomplish the goal in fine fashion.

These will be playing at LSAF in Dallas June 7-9. If you are in the area, drop in and have a listen.

Mike

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 12:16 am »
Has anyone looked at doing this idea with 2 - 12" drivers?  The main body of that stand looks like it could be wider.  In fact, if the main body were same width as the Studio, it would look like a floor standing speaker.  Even if the cabinet for the 12" subs were deeper to allow the 12" drivers to be offset / lower and closer to each other to help with total (tweeter) height.

Would that not also effectively be creating a "Double Trouble" Open Baffle sub that can be placed closer to front wall?  Some may even want that configuration even if they have Otica speakers, if they have a placement issue.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 12:36 am »
Has anyone looked at doing this idea with 2 - 12" drivers?  The main body of that stand looks like it could be wider.  In fact, if the main body were same width as the Studio, it would look like a floor standing speaker.  Even if the cabinet for the 12" subs were deeper to allow the 12" drivers to be offset / lower and closer to each other to help with total (tweeter) height.

Would that not also effectively be creating a "Double Trouble" Open Baffle sub that can be placed closer to front wall?  Some may even want that configuration even if they have Otica speakers, if they have a placement issue.

I’ve done it with 2 12” drivers for use with the Wedgie. It would work but would be too tall for what I was trying to do

AK-Grwn_v2

« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 08:37 pm »
A TMM (or TM/WWW modular) set up for an nx studio would be interesting.