Getting started with Aspen

freo

Getting started with Aspen
« on: 21 Nov 2007, 01:42 am »
Hello
I have been following this site for over a year now, what I have found pretty amazing is that every post I have read has been positive, I have heard a aksa 55 a couple of years ago and I was very impressed. My question is, if you guys were starting out with Aspen from scratch (which is what I will be doing) what would you buy, I listen mainly to Jazz, classical and female vocal, at the moment I have a bottlehead pre, a diy 15w class a ss power amp  and pi 2 tower speakers, any advice would be most welcome.
Regards from Perth WA
Roger

jules

Re: Getting started with Aspen
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:13 am »
Yes, dealing with Hugh is always a pleasure

If I was starting from scratch I'd be tempted to just dive in and buy a Soraya but ... maybe you could start with either a 55N+ or a 100N+ [check Hugh's price page] and do a few mods. if you want to add some DIY touches. I've just replaced the input coupling caps on my 55N+ and the results are well worth the money.

jules
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2007, 06:29 am by jules »

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2007, 03:53 am »
Thanks Jules,

For the vote of confidence!!

The resistor on the GK1 board is R5, marked at 10K.  On second thoughts, don't change anything as the rails on the SS section are regulated by zeners and all that will happen is that the regulator transistors will dissipate a bit more power.  But it will be fine, as they drop (21.5 - 15) = 6.5V, and will now drop (24 - 15) = 9V, which is still well within the dissipation of the transistor as they pass only about 18mA.  We are fine to 220mW on the BC550/560 semiconductors.

Yes, Freo,

Buy a Soraya, or if that's a bit expensive for you, the fully built/tested Lifeforce modules!!

Welcome to our little group!

Hugh

jules

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2007, 03:59 am »
Thanks Hugh ... that makes it easy

jules

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2007, 05:24 am »
Freo (Roger),

You can’t go wrong whichever way you go. :D  At the top end you have the brilliant fully built Soraya that is about as good as it gets, the AKSA kits at the bottom (budget but not sound wise) and the incredible Lifeforce kits in the middle.  Depends mainly on your budget and how much you like soldering.  There are plenty of threads detailing the slightly different nature of the sounds of each re warmth, detail etc that are worth reading.

Re your question, I love the detail of the Lifeforce or better still, Soraya (which I have and absolutely love), matched with the tube warmth of the GK1 so if I didn’t have the budget for the later, I’d stretch if I could to a LF kit.  Hugh’s designs provide real watts so the 55 will improve on what you have now with good reserve for the future.  Match that with some Vsonic speakers and you’ll obtain stunning fidelity.  If the budget was pretty tight or the DIY fun was as important to me as the end sound, I would go the way Jules suggested but for me starting from scratch on a budget, an LF55 or possibly LF100 if I could manage it.

VYnuhl.Addict

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2007, 06:10 am »
Hi Roger,

I would personally recommend the Soraya for the ultimate in fidelity and enjoyment :drool:, and definately the Lifeforce in second place provided that the Soraya price is too rich for your blood, It is well worth it as those who have heard the new retail product or taken the plunge can attest to. But,as it has been stated you cannot go wrong with any of the three lines as Hugh has put together a whole product line which sounds great thanks to his unwillingness to give us anything less than the best he can do to grace our ears with music :thumb:,. Considering you are using a tube based pre the Lifeforce would be a most excellent start into what usually inevitably becomes an Aspen addiction..

Best Wishes
Colin

bhobba

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:48 am »
Buy a Soraya, or if that's a bit expensive for you, the fully built/tested Lifeforce modules!!

I second Hugh's obviously very informed recommendation.  It is what I plan to do once I have the dosh.

Thanks
Bill

andyr

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:19 am »
My question is, if you guys were starting out with Aspen from scratch (which is what I will be doing) what would you buy, I listen mainly to Jazz, classical and female vocal, at the moment I have a bottlehead pre, a diy 15w class a ss power amp  and pi 2 tower speakers, any advice would be most welcome.
Regards from Perth WA
Roger

Hi Roger,

You've had several replies but they could all be widely off the mark ... as you haven't told us your financial position!   :?   So - as someone who has a GK-1 and is just in the process of upgrading my 3 x AKSA N+s to LFs (I run a 3-way active system) - I'll throw in my 2c worth!! :D

And to you other posters - remember, this time 2 yrs ago we thought the AKSA N+ was the ultimate!  :o

If you are a student, perhaps, and have minimum cash available and are a confirmed DIYer - and just lurve stuffing PCBs (not the most exciting of pastimes IMO!  :D ) - then buy an AKSA N+ kit.  I daresay (given you are driving your speakers with a 15w amp) an AKSA 55N+ will be entirely sufficient.

If you have a bit more money available - and can quite happily reduce your soldering load - then buy a LifeForce 55.  Here, the PCB modules are already soldered but you have to fit everything else around them.  IMO, this is the longer task!  :D

But if you have the money - without a doubt buy a Soraya for the ultimate in sonics!   :D

Then, when you've owned an AKSA power amp for a while, you'll probably have an itch to replace your Bottlehead with a GK-1!   :lol:

And then, maybe you'll think about some VSonics instead of your current pi 2 speakers.

Regards,

Andy

bhobba

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2007, 11:30 am »
And to you other posters - remember, this time 2 yrs ago we thought the AKSA N+ was the ultimate!  :o

Good point.

But if you have the money - without a doubt buy a Soraya for the ultimate in sonics!   :D

YES.  I know I haven't heard them, yet but I trust guys like you who have.

And then, maybe you'll think about some VSonics instead of your current pi 2 speakers.

I must admit to finding the VSonics very interesting, and would love to hear them one day.  I just wish they were available as a finished product rather than a kit.  My arthritic condition unfortunately prevents me from doing even the modest amount of construction they require.  Even if that wasn't the case my handyman skills are pretty close to zero anyway.  Sigh.

Thanks
Bill

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2007, 11:34 am »
Hugh

Just a ahort question but what happened to any/all the 55/100 modules that were returned as part of the lifeforce amnesty?

I cant afford a lifeforce but need an extra amp or two, so may have to order another 55N+ soon and I'm too busy to solder. DIY in the new flat is killing me, I hate plaster!

Nick.

kyrill

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2007, 11:40 am »
ppl

when you have a preamp with no dc out
dont buy an expensive film cap as C1 for LF or Aksa or even Soraya

replace the C1 input cap with a piece of short wire

no cap is the best sounding cap

if you trust yr woman, dont use a ***dom

same is true for input cap of the GK-1
i dont use one  :green:

AKSA

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2007, 11:42 am »
Hi Nick,

Yes, I have quite a few!!   :oops:

Email me privately.....

Cheers,

Hugh

rabbitz

« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2007, 11:52 am »
I'd start with a AKSA 55N+ to add to your tube pre amp if you love the sound of tubes as this amp does compliment them. Even though I have a LF55 (Mk2?), the AKSA 55N+ and AKSA 55N are very special and are more suited to my more intimate systems.... I couldn't part with them and actually built the AKSA 55N (slightly modded) after my LF55 went into service.

If you want detail, more detail and all the inner information, then the LF and those beyond are the way to go. It's very hard to describe what you get as it's the addition of small bits of info that's normally hidden that are suddenly there and add so much to the overall presentation and timbre. You then have to watch what pre you use so it doesn't colour or mask the sound.... my experience only.

Both are great choices and it comes down to your tastes and application. You can take the full journey or sneak in at the head of the line.

AKSA

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:16 pm »
Thanks Peter,

You've nailed it!!  That is precisely my take on the evolution of these amps.  It's all very subjective, and the words make EEs cringe, but for most of us, outside the math/measure paradigm, this is the way we look at it, and significantly, this is the thinking of most audiophiles, who go for the sound rather than the technology.

AKSA:  musical, warm, intimate, involving.  (MGB, Moto Guzzi Breva)

Lifeforce:  detailed, satisfying, intimate, engaging, non-fatigueing  (BMW M3, ZRX Kawasaki)

Soraya:  ultra-resolving, queen of ambience, intimate, thrilling, a presentation to die for.  (Ferrari, MV Augusta)

I have put in an automotive analogy which I believe hits the spot, as most audiophiles have a passing knowledge of the motor vehicle world.

And as Peter has said, the pre is increasingly important as you go up the range.  I tend to listen to the Soraya, which has absolutely no nasty sounds whatever, WITHOUT the preamp.  It's all a bit perplexing.

I hope this makes some kind of sense;  the design philosophy of the AKSA differs from the LF and Soraya;  they are very, very different but somehow complement the early design.

I might mention that Peter (Rabbitz) has been quite ill recently, but has made a full recovery and is now fighting fit!  Peter, we are thinking of you and wish you good health and an effortless journey into disgraceful old age.......!! :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2007, 10:12 pm by AKSA »

rabbitz

« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2007, 03:47 pm »
Hugh..... it will take more than that to stop me becoming and old fart or a dirty old man..... my destiny.

Thanks for the well wishes. :thumb:

gerado

« Reply #15 on: 23 Nov 2007, 12:38 pm »
Yes Peter
wish you well and good health ahead(and happy long listening)

Freo,

I have the GK1 and the LF100

The LF sounds great with other pres but truly shines when mated with the GK- in my experience. It is quite surprising how detailed and balanced they become as a united pair. I was happy with the GK alone when I did not know better. Then arranged an introduction of the LF100 to it and have a happy marriage ever since aa
Thy just seem to work better together--they do have trial separations but just so they can appreciate each other :)

freo

« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2007, 10:56 pm »
I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and ideas, it gives me a lot to think about, the next time I am in Melbourne I will try and have a listen to some of the recommendations and take it from there,
Regards Roger