Dynaudio's and Aksa 100??

adamt

Dynaudio's and Aksa 100??
« on: 1 Aug 2006, 11:35 pm »
When I was a member of the Melbourne audio club a few years ago, I heard an Aksa 55 and was very impressed.

I have just built some Dynaudio 'nuance' speakers (after finally sourcing a D260 tweeter NOS last year). These are a two way with a six inch speaker in a ported enclosure tuned to about 40hz.

Do you have any comments about how the Aksa 100 might combine with the Dyns? I love the sound of the Dyns but am finding my Cyrus 6 amp (40w per side) is lacking.

thanks

DSK

Re: Dynaudio's and Aksa 100??
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2006, 11:39 pm »
When I was a member of the Melbourne audio club a few years ago, I heard an Aksa 55 and was very impressed.

I have just built some Dynaudio 'nuance' speakers (after finally sourcing a D260 tweeter NOS last year). These are a two way with a six inch speaker in a ported enclosure tuned to about 40hz.

Do you have any comments about how the Aksa 100 might combine with the Dyns? I love the sound of the Dyns but am finding my Cyrus 6 amp (40w per side) is lacking.

thanks
Adam, what is the sensitivity and nominal/minimum impedance of the Dyns?

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2006, 11:43 pm »
Adam,

Welcome to the Aspen forum!  You should hear it now!!

If impedance does not dip below 3.5R and/or sensitivity is higher than 87dB/watt/metre, then the 55W is normally adequate.  If it dips to 2.5R and/or sensitivity is lower than 87, then the 100W is the go.

That said, the new Lifeforce seems to be rewriting the rules.  The 55W version sounds almost as big as the 100W AKSA.

Darren, thanks for your reply, yippee!!  My SBIII has arrived!!

Cheers,

Hugh

adamt

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2006, 02:32 am »
I believe these speakers are 'reasonably' close to the Contour 1,8 mark 2. Most Dyns have a nominal impedence of 4 ohms, but the driver in this one is rated at 8 ohms, and the tweeter is 6.

It may well get down to 2 in the lower frequencies. I dont have any measuring equipment though.

I thought I heard my Cyrus amp 'clip' the other night. Aparently they do deliver a fair amount of current which the Dyn's love.

thanks for your help.