considerations for Spatial X5 connected to fully balanced differential amp?

tnweaver

Anyone connect their X3/X5 to a differential fully balanced amp? I think these send signal on both the + and - binding posts out of phase (ie. Denafrips Thallo).

The Spatial X5 has a black/red twisted wire that comes out of a hole near the X5 binding posts and connects to the “green”  High Level input +/- pins on the X5 plate amp. I assume those two wires are soldered to end of the binding posts inside ?

Should I disconnect the black neg wire from the plate amp's High level input when using an amp like the Thallo?

Mr. Big

I use a balanced amp it will work on all speakers the same as RCA inputs, only with much less noise. Just hook up your speakers as you normally would.

tnweaver

Yes but do you take your balanced amp back to any High Level inputs on an external sub.

The question is specific to that and in this case the Spatial X5/X3 has a built in plate amp for bottom woofer that has High Level inputs that connect back to common speaker binding posts.

I have a Thallo and X5 and seeing/hearing odd issues. Hence my post.

Hoping someone with Spatial X5/X3 that uses truly balanced differential amp can chime in.

James Edward

No offense to anyone on this forum, but your question should be directed to Spatial Audio.

tnweaver

I have and waiting. But I see no harm in asking the Spatial Audio forum if there are any X5/X3 owners that have differential balanced amps connected to their speakers.

Spatial Audio

Hello tnweaver,

This is Clayton,

Give me a call at (435) 640-1294 and I would be happy to help you.

Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio Lab

tnweaver

Thank you Clayton.

I'll give you a ring Monday during your business hours.

morganc

Would the AVA 225 Monoblocks be considered a pure balanced differential design?  If so, I’m running these now so please share what you learn from Clayton please. 

Hear Clifford Brown

tnweaver, I have X5s and would like to know what Clayton said, either here or in a pm.  Thanks, Jeff.

morganc

tnweaver, I have X5s and would like to know what Clayton said, either here or in a pm.  Thanks, Jeff.

Me too please :)

tnweaver

Will do. Right now waiting for email/call back :)

Hear Clifford Brown

8) Thanks!

tnweaver

I spoke to Clayton (great guy btw). Essentially, no known issues with fully balanced differiental amps and X5. I have a solid state balanced preamp and no issues when using Thallos. My tube preamp gives me a high frequency sound (ie. 2000 hz-ish) in tweeter when I start-up the Thallo. All roads lead to some sort of grounding issue based on experimentation. I've got another Class A balanced amp with no issues with tube preamp.

Mr. Big

XLR has been used for years from the box, panels, self-powered, and electrostatics that are powered, and all have never had an issue with balanced gear in my 40 years in this hobby, Clayton is correct fear not, and how this became a concern is beyond me there never been anything written on this for XLR amps use with speakers. Some amps are not truly balanced and that should be a concern, some just use XLR inputs but the circuit is not fully balanced. 

tnweaver

Maybe you want to read-up on High-Level connections to sub plate amps when using fully differential balanced amps like the Thallo. Thallo has warnings on its website. Lot's on REL subs for example. The X3/X5 is essentially HL connection to built in plate amp. Do you actually have an X3 or X5?

It's the SE or hybrid Balanced/SE amps that are more tolerant here...

Fear is damaging the expensive tweeter in my X5 when turning on the Thallo (with spatial plate amp off) and hearing a 3000 Hz (measured) tone climb in volume during the Thallo's soft start phase. This is my concern and hence me asking this forum if anyone has had issues with an amp like the Thallo.

Fortunately I have workarounds. My hunch is my tube preamp is contributing to some sort of noise through the balanced path to speaker (Thallo) that doesn't bode well with the Spatial HL connection to plate amp.

Would be nice to have the option to switch to low level (rca/xlr) on the X5 plate amp. Doubt anyone has crossed that frontier :)
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2023, 03:39 am by tnweaver »

Mr. Big

Maybe you want to read-up on High-Level connections to sub plate amps when using fully differential balanced amps like the Thallo. Thallo has warnings on its website. Lot's on REL subs for example. The X3/X5 is essentially HL connection to built in plate amp. Do you actually have an X3 or X5?

It's the SE or hybrid Balanced/SE amps that are more tolerant here...

Fear is damaging the expensive tweeter in my X5 when turning on the Thallo (with spatial plate amp off) and hearing a 3000 Hz (measured) tone climb in volume during the Thallo's soft start phase. This is my concern and hence me asking this forum if anyone has had issues with an amp like the Thallo.

Fortunately I have workarounds. My hunch is my tube preamp is contributing to some sort of noise through the balanced path to speaker (Thallo) that doesn't bode well with the Spatial HL connection to plate amp.

Would be nice to have the option to switch to low level (rca/xlr) on the X5 plate amp. Doubt anyone has crossed that frontier :)

Denafrips amps are the only balanced XLR amps that need to give this warning. McIntosh amps are 100% quad balanced, with no issues having it power subs woofers, or speakers design of any sort. Mark Levinson, and Jeff Rowland I've owned also with never an issue. Just seems on the Denafrips amps are designed for some reason.