NX Studio and Double Trouble Build

KTS

NX Studio and Double Trouble Build
« on: 9 Apr 2023, 06:30 pm »

Here are some pictures of my NX Studio build, the only thing left is cutting out the wave guide :scratch: , finishing the veneer and wiring, so still a bit of work!

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2023, 02:33 am by KTS »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX Studio and Double Trouble Build
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2023, 07:29 pm »
Man, that is going to be a world class setup when you are done!

KTS

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2023, 09:33 pm »
I am getting pretty excited to get to listen to the music on the new setup! I have always struggled with bass being accurate and from what I have seen and read this set up should be an outstanding full range setup. I have the Encore’s and love them, but Danny said the Studio’s are a significant step up, I could not fathom that would be the case (the Encore’s sound awesome) but I figured I would go all in and see what everyone is talking about. I have never been steered wrong in this forum and I love DIY audio so far!!!

KTS

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2023, 01:19 am »
Just a couple of progress pictures

Cut the veneer from the wave guide and finished assembly of subs.

Cutting the veneer around the wave guide was nerve racking but the end result was satisfactory.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2023, 03:46 am »
Veneer around the waveguide would scare the crap out of me. :slap: that looks to be some good progress and it looks fantastic! Keep up the good work. Just wait til you get to fire up those bad boys.

I haven't heard any other studio monitor give soundstage in a true 3 dimensionality including height and it's trippy to hear. When you finally get these finished, keep a bottle of ibuprofen handy because your face will be sore from smiling so much.  :lol:

-Lloyd

KTS

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2023, 11:55 am »
Veneer around the waveguide would scare the crap out of me. :slap: that looks to be some good progress and it looks fantastic! Keep up the good work. Just wait til you get to fire up those bad boys.

I haven't heard any other studio monitor give soundstage in a true 3 dimensionality including height and it's trippy to hear. When you finally get these finished, keep a bottle of ibuprofen handy because your face will be sore from smiling so much.  :lol:

-Lloyd

https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=239054

I followed your build and was amazed at your ability’s! I should get the Studio’s up and running by Sunday, hopefully!

KTS

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2023, 04:18 am »
Just a quick update

Sorry for the awful photos, but the build is done and I am braking the NX studios in.

nlitworld

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2023, 04:45 am »

Now it's time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2023, 05:54 am »
How do you like the sound?

KTS

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2023, 10:44 am »
How do you like the sound?

I will need to move the speakers around a bit. The detail is amazing, but adding the subs and new speaker at the same time to my system has thrown some things off a bit. I am not qualified to review anything audio related, but my initial thoughts were they sound awesome but need to burn in a bit. They sound big and I look forward to using the LOTS set up again to get them where they sound the best. I also wanted to share some thoughts about the subs, absolutely awesome bass, super accurate and the only sub I’ve ever had that sounds correct in my room. Just some advice for anyone building the subs, if you are moving them up or down some stairs I would wait to put the drivers in until the are in the room you are using them, I am not sure how much they weigh, but it was all I could do to carry them up stairs by myself.

In short love the sound of the NX Studio and Double Trouble subs, I will give more impression after I spend mor than an hour with them.

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2023, 12:57 pm »
Try placing the monitors on top of the subs (isolate the monitors from the sub, of course). This offers four advantages -- saves floor space, eliminates the need for speaker stands, it will bring the subs farther from the side walls, and it should provide better integration.

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2023, 03:25 pm »
Try placing the monitors on top of the subs (isolate the monitors from the sub, of course). This offers four advantages -- saves floor space, eliminates the need for speaker stands, it will bring the subs farther from the side walls, and it should provide better integration.

I agree.  And the isolation doesn’t have to be super expensive.  Herbie’s Audio makes good stuff for cheap.

KTS

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2023, 03:30 pm »

Early B,
That was the ticket, now I hear what everyone is saying about the NX Studio!! Indescribably good at most everything! Thank you for the tip, that is why I love this forum!

Much appreciated! Kelly

KTS

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2023, 03:34 pm »
I agree.  And the isolation doesn’t have to be super expensive.  Herbie’s Audio makes good stuff for cheap.

Thank you Tyson I used isolation pads on the four corners of the speakers. They are made out of sorbothane. They seem to work well.

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2023, 03:54 pm »
Thank you Tyson I used isolation pads on the four corners of the speakers. They are made out of sorbothane. They seem to work well.

Good stuff 👍🏻

mick wolfe

« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2023, 03:54 pm »
FWIW, I use IsoAcoustics Mini Pucks under my NX Studio Monitors. This with a more conventional 24" stand, not a subwoofer. They end up being a bit more costly as one needs six under each monitor. My monitors weigh in around 32-33 lbs. So with a 6 lb. weight limit, 6 are required under each speaker. I ended up buying two 8 packs to the tune of $200. So 4 pucks are left over in my case. For those who have built a more complex cabinet or xover, maybe the extras would come in handy.

nlitworld

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2023, 05:38 pm »
FWIW, I use IsoAcoustics Mini Pucks under my NX Studio Monitors. This with a more conventional 24" stand, not a subwoofer. They end up being a bit more costly as one needs six under each monitor. My monitors weigh in around 32-33 lbs. So with a 6 lb. weight limit, 6 are required under each speaker. I ended up buying two 8 packs to the tune of $200. So 4 pucks are left over in my case. For those who have built a more complex cabinet or xover, maybe the extras would come in handy.

Yup, I went 4 of the indigo isolators under mine as they have a bit higher load. You could get by with 3 for weight rating, but my dogs mandated I get a 4th for stability...

KTS

« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2023, 06:04 pm »

I will look into the mini pucks and the indigo isolation thank you for the suggestions!

I originally thought it would take the tweeters us too high using the subs as a stand, but the vertical off axis response must be outstanding. I cannot tell it is causing any dip at all. They have been running non stop for 12 hours and just continue to get more focused and dynamic.

Early B.

« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2023, 07:23 pm »
I originally thought it would take the tweeters us too high using the subs as a stand, but the vertical off axis response must be outstanding.

There are lots of audio myths and ear height is one of them. If I could, I'd experiment with suspending my speakers from the ceiling as you see in jazz clubs and concert venues. 

Tyson

« Reply #19 on: 16 Apr 2023, 08:00 pm »
I will look into the mini pucks and the indigo isolation thank you for the suggestions!

I originally thought it would take the tweeters us too high using the subs as a stand, but the vertical off axis response must be outstanding. I cannot tell it is causing any dip at all. They have been running non stop for 12 hours and just continue to get more focused and dynamic.

Both vertical and horizontal off axis is outstanding with the NX Studio.