Changing the Color?????

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Changing the Color?????
« on: 9 May 2014, 02:24 pm »
Can you change the color of a Salk speaker once it is finished? Without having to remove the finish back to the original veneer surface.

guf

Re: Changing the Color?????
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2014, 03:23 pm »
Pretty sure the answer is going to be yes. It's easy to go tint darker, or an automotive color. Not with spray cans but any local  body shop, cabinet maker and of course Jim could easily do it.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2014, 03:28 pm »
That's interesting, thanks guf,

I didn't know you could spay a tint over the protective finish coat of the Salk speakers.

guf

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2014, 03:45 pm »
Please confirm with Jim before doing it but I'm almost positive.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2014, 04:00 pm »
This is a tricky question in that I don't know exactly what you would like the final result to be.

You can lightly sand the finish and apply a new lacquer topcoat with aniline dye added.  In that way, you can modify the color and still see the grain and figuring in the wood.

You cannot apply an automotive color over the existing finish without first sanding it off.  Our standard topcoat is pre-cat lacquer.  The only finish that can go over it is more lacquer.  A poly or acrylic of some (automotive finish) kind will not go over lacquer.  It will eventually fail unless you completely sand off the lacquer (down to the sealer coats) before spraying the new topcoat.

I hope this answers the question.

- Jim

guf

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2014, 04:04 pm »
See! what do i know? Sorry. I remember some posts about changing the color and i remember it was possible. Thanks Jim for the correction.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2014, 05:38 pm »
This sounds very doable to me!  :wink: :wink: