Archaic Micromega

headphones1

Archaic Micromega
« on: 6 Mar 2019, 05:50 am »
I bought a Micromega Tempo 1 from the U.K.  (I live in the United States).  I really wanted it because I own a Stage 5 cd player and the matching tuner.  When I got it the only thing functioning was the display.  I took it to one local repair shop;  but, the technician could not pinpoint the problem and said he would need a schematic to proceed any further (By the way, I have a power converter.)  When I turned  up the volume really high I get lots of static and the music is in the background.  The repair man said all he was getting A/C everywhere in the circuit.
When I called up Micromega, they said that they did not have the schematics and some weird answer that they got “lost”.  I do not know if I should be skeptical.  I would think any competent company wouId have all their circuits on file.  I tried two more audio repair shops and they were of no help.
So, can anyone help me get my Micromega functioning again.  I do not understand why they will not give me a schematic  (technically, all I care about is getting a functioning unit with or without a schematic.).  Micromega would not return my emails.  Their support is not much.  The slightly helpful repair shop technician just commented that they want “you” to think their circuits are “proprietary.”  It is a 25+ year old piece of electronics-it is nothing special.  (There a better units out there;  but, I am a little enamored with the looks and just want a “complete” system.) I do not know  why anyone would be defensive over a 25 year old generic unit that was not anything special in its day, and even less so today (rhetorical)?  I did read somewhere that they used the circuits of this old lineup and repackaged them up into the new series, possibly the Minium  series.  Are they using 25 year old circuits in their current electronics?  I guess that would be a reason to keep the schematics under wraps.  I do not know?
If anyone knows of a repair shop that can fix it I could use the help.  I live in Columbus, Ohio;  but, I am willing to ship.

Thanks

Matt

richidoo

Re: Archaic Micromega
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2019, 01:07 pm »
Ship it to Micromega for repair?

Alex Lok might be able to do it. He's in NC.

No matter who fixes it, it usually takes a very long time to fix vintage gear.
Good luck

bacobits1

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2019, 01:42 pm »
http://musictechnology.com/about-us.html
Try Bill Talmann in VA
Usually they can fix anything, very good, but ain't cheap.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2019, 01:48 pm »

I’m guessing you don’t have the manual. You can download the manual here. No circuitry schematics but good stuff about fuses and ‘protections’ and etc.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/859738/Micromega-Tempo-1.html#manual

Good luck.

Lester

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2019, 07:17 pm »
Sort of off topic, but I think you'd be flabbergasted by the things that can happen when companies get sold/bought/change hands over the years. Stuff indeed does get lost and/or simply thrown away.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2019, 07:28 pm »
There is a lot you can do yourself.  A good troubleshooter will look at all of the wiring connections first.  Then, look with a magnifier at the circuit board to see if there are any poor solder joints, particularly on surface-mount resistors and caps.  IF something looks like the solder may not be flowed, it is probably marginal and needs touch-up.  Also, look for any components that look like they have overheated or charred looking.

After all of this, only then should you use a multimeter to check voltages on the board.  There should be low voltage, like 3.3V or 5V across the surface-mount capacitors.  They are the cream colored ones with no marking on them.  The SMT resistors have marking on them.  Also look for cracked resistors, hairline cracks.

Steve N.

osmolaita

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2019, 01:11 pm »
Hi, maybe I can help you to fix it. I did repair my Micromega Tempo 1 about one month ago. It was not easy because the schematics are not available and it really took long time to get it fixed. (about 40 hours).  I redraw part of the electronics just to find out how to adjust bias and DC offset. This amplifier has two separate grounds: one for digital and one for analog part. They are separated with opto couplers and it is quite easy to see fake A/C everywhere if this is not known. Having one working Tempo and one non working side-be-side I can use parallel scoping technic to find out where the problem is, maybe....

This was just an idea but there is one problem:  i live in Finland but if you cannot find anyone closer then this might be an option.

Does headphones work?  Does monitor output work ? Does mute disactivate output relay ? How about input relays ?

Good luck, Osmo Laita , retired electrical engineer