One for all of you that are into cars and racing.

Danny Richie

This is one of my racing buddies and a good friend of mine. It's a great short story.

https://vimeo.com/306816193?fbclid=IwAR2WS3gghizmpnCt55DKp6I10vGqB2TD5fz8QYqDsPwTgYzRpmZ-4G7Igi8

This also lets you see into who we are as people down here in Texas.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2018, 06:48 pm by Danny Richie »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: One for all of you that are into cars and racing.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2018, 07:07 pm »
Good story Danny. Glad you changed the link as I was wondering how the 'Dead Drs Don't Lie' story was going to relate, though I did pick up some info on the evils of carbs (not the automotive type).   :thumb:  JD

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2018, 07:52 pm »
Good story Danny. Glad you changed the link as I was wondering how the 'Dead Drs Don't Lie' story was going to relate, though I did pick up some info on the evils of carbs (not the automotive type).   :thumb:  JD

Yeah some how the wrong link copied and pasted at first. Sorry about that.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2018, 08:29 pm »
seem like great  "down to earth"  folks.man  :thumb:
So may ups and downs in  many of our lives.
Thanks  for  posting  the link

jay

cody69

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2018, 11:31 pm »
A great story... even for those that aren't into cars and racing.
Thanks for posting Danny.

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2018, 05:11 am »
Nice story. I want to wish him continued good reports from his doctors.

persisting1

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2018, 11:19 pm »
A good story about a great man.

Thanks for sharing.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2018, 01:03 am »
Very cool! I used to own an auto repair and fabrication shop, specializing in off road 4wd trucks. I didn't honestly enjoy it and went back to school to finish my engineering degree with the goal of getting into wind turbine design.

I've always loved fast cars, I watched F1 and rally mostly... but due to changing direction a few times never had a lot of extra cash for it.

However, I did just pick up the car below and can't wait to get it on a track next spring! The only mods needed are brake fluid and an alignment, I can track it with full warranty. :)  Looking forward to learning how to drive it well... and hopefully embarrassing some high $ German cars.  :icon_twisted:

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2018, 04:23 am »
Very cool! I used to own an auto repair and fabrication shop, specializing in off road 4wd trucks. I didn't honestly enjoy it and went back to school to finish my engineering degree with the goal of getting into wind turbine design.

I've always loved fast cars, I watched F1 and rally mostly... but due to changing direction a few times never had a lot of extra cash for it.

However, I did just pick up the car below and can't wait to get it on a track next spring! The only mods needed are brake fluid and an alignment, I can track it with full warranty. :)  Looking forward to learning how to drive it well... and hopefully embarrassing some high $ German cars.  :icon_twisted:

Nice ride man.

And wind turbine design is something that I have been interested in as well. I never really thought that the most common huge wind generators around here looked very efficient. I have always had lots of ideas about how to design better ones.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2018, 03:40 pm »
Thanks! It's a dream come true car-wise.  :)   I've always loved Vettes and the last one I drove, a C5 Z06, has been my dream car for a long time. It would never do as an only car but I always wanted one eventually. Well, the new Gen6 Camaro SS 1LE is basically a C7 Grand Sport for 1/2 the price and are currently available for under $40k. It was a financial stretch but I had good equity in my last car and it was giving me some issues so I traded it in. It's my only car but I have a set of Michelin performance snow tires and the car has an ice and snow mode + a computer controlled locking rear diff.

I hope more people look into the new Camaros as they are amazing... better chassis than pretty much anything except maybe the new Alfa Giulia, better motor vs the Euro car's turbos and faster lap times than all but the most $$ cars offered by any German brand. Apparently Chevy wants to keep this a secret as I have seen little to no promotion and unless you keep up with enthusiast news you'd never know. At current discounted prices (for the remaining '18s and probably '19s as the new styling didn't go over well) they are a deal imo.

Anyways, the Camaro will allow me to have fun on a track or AutoX without a large financial outlay or risk. They are covered under warranty for track use.

Wind Turbines are getting to be fairly mature compared to decades ago... a lot of modern design is about how to get the most out of them in varying wind, as they do shut down if the wind is too weak or too strong. Their EROEI, or energy return on energy invested, is getting better all the time too. Also, power electronics to get them to easily interface with the grid they are powering was advancing quickly when I worked on them. The new model under development had a nacelle floor that was completely packed with film capacitors... they helped drive the development of very large, high voltage, low-esr film caps that would make for excellent tube amp power supply caps. :)

Sometimes I wonder if I should have just kept on with the auto shop. I'd definitely be better off financially... But it's hard work, hard on your body, you get exposed to harmful substances pretty much every day... I know too many mechanics that have issues with migraines or other stuff that are likely related to exposure to chemicals. After a while I just wanted to do something else, and it was time to either expand into a new shop, or not... For better or worse, I decided to go back to school. I hope your friend Steve stays healthy and is able to enjoy a long, leisurely retirement!  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2018, 04:45 pm »
Dave, I fell like you and I could have some long conversations. I am with you on the new Camaro. They are great cars, and a great platform for a lot of upgrades.

And I could go on and on with questions and ideas on the wind turbines. Maybe in a new thread or something...

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2018, 07:52 pm »
Thanks! It's a dream come true car-wise.  :)   I've always loved Vettes and the last one I drove, a C5 Z06, has been my dream car for a long time. It would never do as an only car but I always wanted one eventually. Well, the new Gen6 Camaro SS 1LE is basically a C7 Grand Sport for 1/2 the price and are currently available for under $40k. It was a financial stretch but I had good equity in my last car and it was giving me some issues so I traded it in. It's my only car but I have a set of Michelin performance snow tires and the car has an ice and snow mode + a computer controlled locking rear diff.

I hope more people look into the new Camaros as they are amazing... better chassis than pretty much anything except maybe the new Alfa Giulia, better motor vs the Euro car's turbos and faster lap times than all but the most $$ cars offered by any German brand. Apparently Chevy wants to keep this a secret as I have seen little to no promotion and unless you keep up with enthusiast news you'd never know. At current discounted prices (for the remaining '18s and probably '19s as the new styling didn't go over well) they are a deal imo.

Anyways, the Camaro will allow me to have fun on a track or AutoX without a large financial outlay or risk. They are covered under warranty for track use.

Wind Turbines are getting to be fairly mature compared to decades ago... a lot of modern design is about how to get the most out of them in varying wind, as they do shut down if the wind is too weak or too strong. Their EROEI, or energy return on energy invested, is getting better all the time too. Also, power electronics to get them to easily interface with the grid they are powering was advancing quickly when I worked on them. The new model under development had a nacelle floor that was completely packed with film capacitors... they helped drive the development of very large, high voltage, low-esr film caps that would make for excellent tube amp power supply caps. :)

Sometimes I wonder if I should have just kept on with the auto shop. I'd definitely be better off financially... But it's hard work, hard on your body, you get exposed to harmful substances pretty much every day... I know too many mechanics that have issues with migraines or other stuff that are likely related to exposure to chemicals. After a while I just wanted to do something else, and it was time to either expand into a new shop, or not... For better or worse, I decided to go back to school. I hope your friend Steve stays healthy and is able to enjoy a long, leisurely retirement!  :D

great cars, my son drives one, but under 40k, I don't think so, considering the SS base is 37k. My sons stickered out closer to 48k, regardless great car for whatever one pays !

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:03 pm »
I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Danny, love to talk about wind power but I don't know anything about the newest machines. I left Vestas about 9 years ago and lots has changed since then. I helped design the nacelle and hub assembly operations in Brighton, CO so I focused more on bolting it all together than design of specific components and parts. Not long after I left the entire US engineering team was laid off, and after spending 2 years working on the project and also spending a lot of time in Denmark to have the company just throw people away like it's nothing soured me on a corporate job. But, that's just the way it is now I guess... I don't think it's healthy though. One of the benefits of working for a set salary should be job stability imo.

twitch, unfortunately neither the Camaro nor GM is doing exceptionally well and big discounts are available right now. Mine is a base 1LE and I got it for $39.5k, could've got another $1k off if I wanted to beat them up and maybe leave and come back, but the dealer was upfront and offered me a fair deal for my trade in addition to the price on the new car so I didn't haggle too long. I also bought the car while it was on it's way to the dealer, so I got it brand new, no test drives, no dealer add-ons. That was also ideal for me, if I'm buying new I want it actually new. ;)

Here's the deal of century on a performance car though... a SS 1LE for $33k with only 2700 miles on it!

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10394550#post10394550

So far I've found it fairly practical too, it has enough room for most things and it does a great job hauling bikes. :)