Help in picking speaker for a room.

dksucharda

Help in picking speaker for a room.
« on: 4 Jan 2023, 03:22 am »
Hello! I am new to forum and was recommended to post here regarding questions about GR research speakers. If this is incorrect, please let me know. I am looking to build speakers for my work office and it is my first speaker build. it is a 10x10 room and for the most part will have a lot of hard surfaces. it is not going to be dream listening room and it will not be my last speaker build.  I will be listening to relaxing music as it is my work office; so classical and jazz if that matters.

On the GR website I see the LGK series and there is now 2.1. The pricing options on this are pretty clear to me. However, I think I am also interested in the X series as well. First in the X series there is the X-LS Encore which seems to be the main speaker in this line but there is also the x-bravo and I don't see the differences between the 2.

Then, when I click on Encore and try to look at details I see there are options which change the price; I get that. There are 3 listed choices I have to make; Version, Connector upgrade, and Capacitor upgrade.  I understand the connector upgrade and capacitor upgrade but I don't understand the "version" option. Is this stating the plans I want sent to me? Because the plans are listed on the page down below?  are there difference in how the bookshelf sounds compared to the floor standing model, or is the floor standing model just the bookshelf model with a taller base? What I want is to buy the electronics, speakers, and basically everything but the cut wood. Obviously, I will need the plans to cut the wood but I have a lot of woodworking skills and equipment and can handle cutting MDF myself and assembling speaker. These are just a few of my questions I have but I have  already probably made this too long.  I don't plan to build these until this summer but need to be doing research now as I am sure making this decision will take some time. Thank you for your help.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Help in picking speaker for a room.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2023, 04:51 pm »
Will the speakers be sitting on your desk or will they be on stands off the desk? If they will be on the desk, like mine are, you need to consider the footprint of the cabinets and how much room they will take up. One way is to make a pair of cardboard mock-ups for each of the cabinets you are considering then put each pair on your desk where the speakers will be. This will let you see exactly how each fits on the desk and into your workflow. I find the mock-ups much more helpful than trying to visualize the actual impact of three dimensional measurements.  On my desk, the speakers flank the monitor. I've had X-LS Encores on my desk and found they took up way too much real estate to suit me. The LGKs fit perfectly.

Another consideration also related to where the speakers will be placed, is the distance where the sound comes together. In a desktop setup the speakers are usually not much more than an arm's length away. I found this to be too close for the X-LS Encores to gel properly. They sound much better at least 5 ft from my ears. The smaller single driver LGK did not have this issue and sounded excellent at arm's reach.

For bass performance, the Encores play lower. However, I found that on the desktop the bass performance of the LGKs was astonishingly good. I've had them set up at the Lone Star Audio Fest a few times and everybody that listened to them did a jaw drop when the bass came in. A subwoofer is not actually necessary and I ran mine for a few years without one. However, adding a small subwoofer under the desk fills out the low end very nicely. My LGKs are the 1.0 model. I haven't heard the 2.0 version but Hobbs says the bass performance of the 2.0 is better than the 1.0.

Taking everything into consideration, from my perspective, if the speakers are going to be on the desk close to you, the LGK would be my recommendation. If they are going to be off the desk on stands and farther away, the X-LS Encore would be the way to go.

The LGK 2.1 adds a midwoofer which gives more bass extension but increases cabinet size and brings in the distance issue for the two drivers integrating. For a desktop application, I'd stick with the smaller single driver 2.0 and add a small subwoofer if you want more bass extension.

With the X-LS Encore the "version" options are Bookshelf (X-LS) and floor standing (X-SLS). The larger cabinet provides deeper bass extension. Otherwise, they are the same speaker.

Here are the LGK 1.0s in a desktop setup

The black speaker is an X-SLS Encore

dksucharda

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2023, 03:55 am »
Thanks for your response Mlundy57! I am planning on the speakers being on a cabinet about 4 foot off the ground and about 8-9 feet away from me. I like your cardboard idea. I appreciate your help.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2023, 03:59 am »
XLS Encore would be my choice for that position.