24 over 16?

Loudspeakerboy

24 over 16?
« on: 7 Nov 2020, 10:43 pm »
Aside from cost is there any reason one would choose 16 strand wire over the 24? I just ordered an X-SLS kit that will be driven by an IOTAVX SA3/PA3. We aren’t talking about a ton of power and the cable will be about 7’ per side.

Thanks, Michael

tom739

Re: 24 over 16?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2020, 03:05 am »
If you are going to use the tube connectors, I like that the 16 strand cable properly fits into the male tube connector. And 8 strands of this wire adds up to 9 gauge. That should be big enough for most anything. Also, if someone has tight spaces and/or bends, the smaller cable may be easier to work with.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2020, 06:49 am »
The main difference is the 24 lowers resistance vs the 16.  The 16 has lower inductance and capacitance.  So there are trade offs either way. 

kwatz

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2021, 11:01 pm »
If you are going to use the tube connectors, I like that the 16 strand cable properly fits into the male tube connector. And 8 strands of this wire adds up to 9 gauge. That should be big enough for most anything. Also, if someone has tight spaces and/or bends, the smaller cable may be easier to work with.

I just bought the X-Statiks with tube connectors and am looking at cables now. If I went with 24 strand, how would you get it to fit into the male end?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2021, 11:09 pm »
I just bought the X-Statiks with tube connectors and am looking at cables now. If I went with 24 strand, how would you get it to fit into the male end?

You have to separate all the largest strands of copper from each wire & twist them all together & slide the connector over the twisted bunch, then crimp/solder. Take the remaining strands of wire & wrap them around the base of the tube connector & solder it all together.

The guide made by rockball does a great job showing the process.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172291.0

kwatz

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2021, 11:50 pm »
You have to separate all the largest strands of copper from each wire & twist them all together & slide the connector over the twisted bunch, then crimp/solder. Take the remaining strands of wire & wrap them around the base of the tube connector & solder it all together.

The guide made by rockball does a great job showing the process.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172291.0

Awesome, ty