Difference between SACD and ISO

Grant Hill

Difference between SACD and ISO
« on: 5 Jul 2019, 09:00 am »
Hi All,

I've did a quick research to see if this topic has already been discussed, and then I decided to open a new thread.

I've heard that some persons consider the SACD disc's sound played by high level player superior to the ISO extracted by the same disc and sent by a PC/streamer to the same DAC used. Actually, they’re arguing that the ISO itself is slightly less performant than the “original” SACD layer.

I can’t do a comparison by myself, but it seems strange to me.

What do you think?
Cheers!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Difference between SACD and ISO
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2019, 09:07 am »
I have found single layer SACDs offer better sound than hybrid SACDs on my ears.

Grant Hill

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2019, 12:09 pm »
Hello,

did you compared same album in both format (single layer vs hybrid) or is it a general  note?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2019, 12:27 pm »
After I acquired a Marantz SA-10 SACD/DAC machine I am now able to say the CD layer of a SACD hybrid is better sounding than the same music on a CD only. I have not been making CDs from ripping them in a long time. So I have no basis to say.
My guess is the CD layer of a hybrid is just better cared for in the mastering stage. Since they seem to only take the best sounding albums to make into SACD anyway.
However I do generally like CD over SACD, since the 'air' in the room is missing in most SACD. All you hear are the instruments in a 'black empty space' with SACD. and no longer any sense of the room. I KNOW it is NOT the playback in DSD causing this, since playing back CDs via the DSD decoding in the Marantz the room is still there. And the better sound from CD playback using the Marantz as DAC from a Toslink connected cheap CD changer was so good I upgraded from my really nice used $250 DAC to the $7000 Marantz.. worth of better.
I do not think this answered the op question. But it is all I have.

Grant Hill

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2019, 03:53 pm »
Hi Elizabeth

no it didn't, but thanks anyway :)

I wanted to know if there are differences between sacd layer and its iso imagine… I appreciate it's not common to assess this

Grant Hill

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2019, 03:54 pm »
btw, congratulations for you great sacd player!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2019, 08:05 pm »
Hello,

did you compared same album in both format (single layer vs hybrid) or is it a general  note?
Not had compared same album though.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2019, 08:27 pm »
Does a recording recorded in DSD as opposed to being remastered from analog or digital to DSD have anything to do with the question ? My original recordings sound better to my ears than reissued in SACD.

charles

Grant Hill

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2019, 07:55 am »
Mmm... no, I think the issue lies in the extraction of the iso from the sacd against simply play the same sacd on a player