Purifi or GaN class D with LPS

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Purifi or GaN class D with LPS
« Reply #20 on: 4 Apr 2022, 12:24 am »
Another amp to consider is the Parasound JC5 which is an iteration of the JC1 monoblocks in a single chassis.  The old JC1's were a Stereophile Class A+ for years until they were retired for the new JC1+. True reference amps that punched way above their price.

Stable down to 1.5ohms, high current-90 peak amps, high capacitance and 600wpc at 4 ohms.  It is on my short list of amps to audition if I decide to move on from my old Pass X250.

AllanS

« Reply #21 on: 4 Apr 2022, 12:36 am »
My son bought a pair of the M700's and they sounded much better than the Parasound A21 that I gave him.  More detail, smoother, wide sound stage, more air and transparency.  Better bass and top end.

As far as the M1200's are concerned, I have not heard them but a good friend of mine who owned the M700's traded them in for the M1200's and he says that the M1200's sound a lot better.  And he raved about the M700's.   
If you do not need the power, you may want to consider the new Atma-sphere Class D monoblocks.
  Thanks much.  I appreciate your insights.  Other than actually hearing either the M700 or M1200 I’m familiar with all the reviews, ratings, and many user experiences, which I’m sure you know are in line with your son’s and friend’s experiences.  I’m definitely considering both though the M1200 is a stretch.

I’m also following and regularly referring your DVA M225 experience, which actually put Van Alstine on the map for me.  They’re on my short list (that’s getting longer) though I’m a bit concerned because my speakers (Spatial M4) are 4 ohm.  I actually had a question about your experience but will post in that thread.

The Atma Sphere D mono blocks are an interesting topic.  Other than their website I’ve not found a whole lot about them other than this interesting back and forth.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=180725.0
I hope you get to hear them.  Sounds like you’re building quite a library of comparisons

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 4 Apr 2022, 01:02 am »
No worries about using the DVA 225 mono's with your Spatials which are very easy to drive (I auditioned a pair of M3 turbos in home).  The 225's drove my Magnepan 1.6's to very loud levels without breaking a sweat.  Your M4's are rated at 90db, my 1.6's are 85db and the tweeters present a 1.9ohm load.

The only issue with the 225's is that they are XLR only so you will need the AVA converter for extra cost if your preamp is not balanced.  They are a great sounding amps though.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 4 Apr 2022, 01:41 pm »
This thread reminds me why active loudspeakers intrigue me so much.  Let the manufacturer pick the amps and design a low voltage crossover that will take care of any impedance worries.  Plus the huge advantage of having a dedicated amp for each driver.

Tuckers

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2023, 02:09 am »
I have owned the VTV Purifi amp, demoed the Orchard Audio Starkrimson, and now own the Atma-Sphere Class D monoblocks.  This weekend I heard the new AGD monoblocks at THE Show Orange County. 

The difference between the VTV and the Orchard Audio amps was not much, they are both really good.  The VTV is one of the best bang for the buck amps you can buy IMHO.  The Atma-Sphere's were an improvement in most areas, wider and deeper (monoblocks though, which could contribute to this), better bass, and cleaner and sweeter with more detail.  The AGDs I heard this weekend were fabulous, super detailed and clear while still being extremely natural with natural warmth and excellent bass .  Much different system than mine so I won't compare it to my Atma-Sphere's (they are something like 3 times the price though).  I could definitely live with the AGDs if money was not an issue though.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2023, 02:31 am »
I have the Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblock amps with the new GaN 300W SMPS and they sound excellent.  Replaced the standard SMPS that came with the monoblocks.  Very quiet with excellent instrument definition and sound stage. 

mav52

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2023, 12:36 pm »
I have the Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblock amps with the new GaN 300W SMPS and they sound excellent.  Replaced the standard SMPS that came with the monoblocks.  Very quiet with excellent instrument definition and sound stage.

On the Orchard updates, what does the upgrade in "" Dual Mono / Rail Capacitor Upgrade""   get you as far as sound ?, thanks, been looking at these amps

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jun 2023, 12:49 pm »
I do not have the Ultra amps with the cap boards. I have the original monoblocks with external SMPS.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jun 2023, 02:30 pm »

Benchmark or LSA Warp-1. Both excellent at different price range. The LSA for $1100 is Kaboom for the buck. Read the reviews.

charles

groovybassist

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jun 2023, 08:12 pm »
I have owned the VTV Purifi amp, demoed the Orchard Audio Starkrimson, and now own the Atma-Sphere Class D monoblocks.  This weekend I heard the new AGD monoblocks at THE Show Orange County. 

The difference between the VTV and the Orchard Audio amps was not much, they are both really good.  The VTV is one of the best bang for the buck amps you can buy IMHO.  The Atma-Sphere's were an improvement in most areas, wider and deeper (monoblocks though, which could contribute to this), better bass, and cleaner and sweeter with more detail.  The AGDs I heard this weekend were fabulous, super detailed and clear while still being extremely natural with natural warmth and excellent bass .  Much different system than mine so I won't compare it to my Atma-Sphere's (they are something like 3 times the price though).  I could definitely live with the AGDs if money was not an issue though.

AGD has a less expensive stereo amp, the Tempo di Gan - similar in price to the Atmasphere Class D monos.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jun 2023, 03:53 pm »
On the Orchard updates, what does the upgrade in "" Dual Mono / Rail Capacitor Upgrade""   get you as far as sound ?, thanks, been looking at these amps

It helps with the transient response and especially helps in situations of driving demanding speakers. The more demanding the speaker the more capacitance you would want on the power rail because they make current delivery more flawless.

There are not downsides to the upgrade, if you think you will be upgrading your speakers in the future and want to make sure you are covered you can opt for the highest configuration. Alternately you are always able to upgrade in the future.

mav52

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jun 2023, 04:37 pm »

Benchmark or LSA Warp-1. Both excellent at different price range. The LSA for $1100 is Kaboom for the buck. Read the reviews.

charles

Don't the LSA and the Peachtree GaN use the same modules ?

mav52

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jun 2023, 04:41 pm »
It helps with the transient response and especially helps in situations of driving demanding speakers. The more demanding the speaker the more capacitance you would want on the power rail because they make current delivery more flawless.

There are not downsides to the upgrade, if you think you will be upgrading your speakers in the future and want to make sure you are covered you can opt for the highest configuration. Alternately you are always able to upgrade in the future.

Thank you.  Right now I have Kef 201/2's and use a Pass ( just to darn warm in the summer, in a 12wx15lx13 H) but looking to move to either Cornwall IV's or Harbeth 30.2 depending on the wifey acceptance factor.

Phil A

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jun 2023, 05:33 pm »
Don't the LSA and the Peachtree GaN use the same modules ?

I think they are talking about different models.  The LSA Voyager GaN 350 and the Peachtree GaN 400 do.  The LSA Warp 1 is currently on sale for $1,199