New dac needed, or wanted,, sorry

2bigears

New dac needed, or wanted,, sorry
« on: 11 Oct 2021, 01:00 am »
 :D Pass lab x250, mid line VAC pre with phono, Mac mini with Eric's old dac, ProAc D48 speaks.
          Need a dac I can plug and play. Gear and hook-ups are so many these days ? Budget is
      Ya get sorta what you pay for. 2 grand -- 4 grand ?  Not sure how much I need to spend.  But it should be on par with the rest of the system.   Used is super fine. If anyone has one for sale , shoot me a note. Been told older ones are behind in tech. Should be newer ,,right ?    Anyway,  any help , much thanks.  :D

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New dac needed, or wanted,, sorry
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2021, 01:38 am »
:D Pass lab x250, mid line VAC pre with phono, Mac mini with Eric's old dac, ProAc D48 speaks.
          Need a dac I can plug and play. Gear and hook-ups are so many these days ? Budget is
      Ya get sorta what you pay for. 2 grand -- 4 grand ?  Not sure how much I need to spend.  But it should be on par with the rest of the system.   Used is super fine. If anyone has one for sale , shoot me a note. Been told older ones are behind in tech. Should be newer ,,right ?    Anyway,  any help , much thanks.  :D
I would suggest a Dac Dac-2HS $1290 if you dont use DSD.

morganc

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2021, 03:16 am »

I had Eric’s DAC and loved it in its day.  These are the qualities I liked in it and love about the ones below:: organic, analog, resolving but not overly analytical and cold.

Biggest bangs for the buck IMO are:
Audio Mirror SE ( my current DAC and no desire to upgrade unless I could get a used lampi TRP at a killer price.)
Lampizator Amber (or TRP if budget allows)
MDHT Orchid

I also find the reviews and tweaks from Audiogon member grannyring  to be very useful as well. 

And for the record I did not compare any of these to the ones mentioned in the posts above. 

ServerAdmin

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2021, 06:39 am »
Moved to Solid State