orthobiz

Re: Vinyl Newbies - this is in your topic to chime in
« Reply #140 on: 29 Oct 2011, 01:49 am »
Davey, you do it by eye?!

Paul

DaveyW

« Reply #141 on: 29 Oct 2011, 07:58 am »
Hi Paul - Yes generally - Don't flame me :)

I initially check using the mini scope.

Sometimes I use the end of metal 6" ruler as a bit of an extension off the platter to get a good close look.
Even then there's a fair bit of squinting so I use the Digi pic as an over check.

I have used the Hi-Fi sound test record tracks 1 and 2 (L/R channel) to verify but to be honest I'm pretty happy that if it's visually vertical on the close up digi pic then all is OK.

I know many go to much greater length's, but I'm happy with this approach especially as I'm a bit of an habitual cartridge swapper.

Cheers
Dave

orthobiz

« Reply #142 on: 29 Oct 2011, 05:16 pm »
No flaming. In my job as a bone doc, I rely on instruments to help me align things, but I will admit that a lot of it is not super critical. Instruments help me get well into the ball park for a great result. I just can't imagine not using some type of measurement system to tell me that my eyes were seeing what my ears should be hearing (or something like that).

Someone said Weisfeld uses a mono spoken track and tries to equalize things that way. The Fozgometer looks like it would have a better way to measure things. I am waiting (maybe) for the Sound-Smith Cartright but they can be slow in releasing when they say they are going to...

Right now I've got a few other little projects going on. More later...

Paul

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
First Vinyl in YEARS
« Reply #143 on: 27 Dec 2011, 01:56 pm »
My wife got me (let me get) a new turntable for Christmas and although it has been in my posession for months, I just spun my first record last night and may I just say WOW.  The good WOW.  This is the first album I have spun since my little fischer price player when I was 9 but I have been an avid listener of everything from CD, SACD, and HI-Rez digital for a long time and there are some things that just can't compare with vinyl.  There are also some things that I am concerned with but I am under the impression it is user error.

PROs -
Soundstage is taken to another level compared with even the best digital recordings.
Bass has a different level of detail than any other recordings I have heard.
Procedure and ritual is a lot more fun than throwing in a shiny disc, or hitting play on a media player.
Availability of music...So many unique live albums and obscure music albums are available and dirt cheap and record stores.
Record stores are awesome...it is like a more socially acceptable comic book shop.

CONs
I got zapped with static from the edge of my first album after listening too it.
There is a slight low volume pop (I believe it is from static) even on new albums.
I can already here where I will improve my gear.
So many tweakables my mind hurts.
The different cleaning rituals will become a third job for me...but I will probably like it.

Just because I know the questions will arise, my Turntable is a project debut III with stock everything.  I set the stylus pressure and tracking and although I can't change the speed, with a strobe disc, it appears to be accurate.  I currently do not own any anti-static products but would be interested in any DIY methods.  I am considering upgrading to a cork matt instead of the stock felt one.

Look forward to joining and thriving in the Vinyl community!

Jlappy

« Reply #144 on: 28 Dec 2011, 08:19 am »
sharpsuxx,

Welcome,  :) yes it can become a way of life  :wink: knowing how music can sound, its like knowledge, once you know it is hard to turn your back on it . . .

enjoy your trek and share what you are spinning if you like!

cheers,

Jim

sharpsuxx

« Reply #145 on: 29 Dec 2011, 01:16 am »
So far...a 1973 pink floyd DSOTM I got for 5 bucks.  I am perfecting my cleaning technique on her.  33RPM RADIOHEAD in rainbows, transatlanticism-Death cap for cutie.  the mars volta live album.  So much goodness!!!

putz

Re: First Vinyl in YEARS
« Reply #146 on: 29 Dec 2011, 01:41 am »
My wife got me (let me get) a new turntable for Christmas and although it has been in my posession for months, I just spun my first record last night and may I just say WOW.  The good WOW.  This is the first album I have spun since my little fischer price player when I was 9 but I have been an avid listener of everything from CD, SACD, and HI-Rez digital for a long time and there are some things that just can't compare with vinyl.  There are also some things that I am concerned with but I am under the impression it is user error.

PROs -
Soundstage is taken to another level compared with even the best digital recordings.
Bass has a different level of detail than any other recordings I have heard.
Procedure and ritual is a lot more fun than throwing in a shiny disc, or hitting play on a media player.
Availability of music...So many unique live albums and obscure music albums are available and dirt cheap and record stores.
Record stores are awesome...it is like a more socially acceptable comic book shop.

CONs
I got zapped with static from the edge of my first album after listening too it.
There is a slight low volume pop (I believe it is from static) even on new albums.
I can already here where I will improve my gear.
So many tweakables my mind hurts.
The different cleaning rituals will become a third job for me...but I will probably like it.

Just because I know the questions will arise, my Turntable is a project debut III with stock everything.  I set the stylus pressure and tracking and although I can't change the speed, with a strobe disc, it appears to be accurate.  I currently do not own any anti-static products but would be interested in any DIY methods.  I am considering upgrading to a cork matt instead of the stock felt one.

Look forward to joining and thriving in the Vinyl community!

I solved my Debut 3 static issue by buying the Acrylit platter. Also improves sound and looks way cool.

orthobiz

« Reply #147 on: 29 Dec 2011, 01:49 am »
Yo putz! That deck is dressed to kill!!!

Paul

putz

« Reply #148 on: 29 Dec 2011, 02:48 am »
Yo putz! That deck is dressed to kill!!!

Paul

It was until I got the VPI bug and sold it. HW19 Jr and now an Aries 1. Now its sound to kill!!!

sharpsuxx

« Reply #149 on: 29 Dec 2011, 03:55 am »
Acrylit looks good and then I don't need a mat right?  One other thing, now every so often I am getting a whining from the belt motor on the project, does that mean it just needs oiling?  Where would one get the Acrylit for the debut III?  Are there any popular tweaks for the debut III to look into?

putz

« Reply #150 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:14 am »
Acrylit looks good and then I don't need a mat right?  One other thing, now every so often I am getting a whining from the belt motor on the project, does that mean it just needs oiling?  Where would one get the Acrylit for the debut III?  Are there any popular tweaks for the debut III to look into?

Do a search and multiple dealers will come up who sell the Acrylit. Speed Box another good tweak. As is a better stylus for the OM cartridge like the om20 and a clamp for the platter. You could also look for these items used on ebay and Audiogon.

Or, if you think you're serious about vinyl, sell the Debut and get a better table with the Debut proceeds and the money you're not spending on the above tweaks. That's what I ended up doing after I bought the tweaks and I'm happy. The tweaks will definitely improve the Debut but it's still entry level after all is said and done. Food for thought.

Read the manual or ask a dealer about how to properly lube the motor. I didn't own my Debut long enough to encounter that. Since you just got the table it should not whine but stuff happens.

Jlappy

« Reply #151 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:31 am »
So far...a 1973 pink floyd DSOTM I got for 5 bucks.  I am perfecting my cleaning technique on her.  33RPM RADIOHEAD in rainbows, transatlanticism-Death cap for cutie.  the mars volta live album.  So much goodness!!!

some great lps  :green: on the mars volta live!   

ratso

« Reply #152 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:15 pm »
i guess this would be a noob question, just something i've been kicking around in my head. if i was to decide to run a TT through a DAC is there a simple way to do it? assuming of course a regular (non-usb) TT and a regular (non analog input) DAC. as a noob, i would be looking for a simple, relatively inexpensive way to do it. can this be done? (before anyone asks, i am looking at possible using a DAC as a preamp. i know several DAC/preamp combo's but am having a hard time locating one that is relatively inexpensive, does 192/24 usb 2.0 and has a reasonable number of analog and digital inputs). something like a W4S dac2 would do if i could figure out how to run analog through it...

**edit** yes the W4S has an analog input, the HT bypass. i would be using that as a HT bypass though.

Delta Wave

« Reply #153 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:21 pm »
i guess this would be a noob question, just something i've been kicking around in my head. if i was to decide to run a TT through a DAC is there a simple way to do it? assuming of course a regular (non-usb) TT and a regular (non analog input) DAC. as a noob, i would be looking for a simple, relatively inexpensive way to do it. can this be done? (before anyone asks, i am looking at possible using a DAC as a preamp. i know several DAC/preamp combo's but am having a hard time locating one that is relatively inexpensive, does 192/24 usb 2.0 and has a reasonable number of analog and digital inputs). something like a W4S dac2 would do if i could figure out how to run analog through it...

**edit** yes the W4S has an analog input, the HT bypass. i would be using that as a HT bypass though.

You would need an external phono stage... lots of options out there.

Delta Wave

« Reply #154 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:23 pm »
I solved my Debut 3 static issue by buying the Acrylit platter. Also improves sound and looks way cool.

How do you like that KAB clamp?

ratso

« Reply #155 on: 25 Jan 2012, 08:12 pm »
yes, you are indeed correct delta, and thanx! however, i would need a usb out phono amp which raises it's own set of problems, as most usb dac's have only ONE usb input and i need that for my mac mini. (btw, i realize this probably needs it's own thread - i wanted to put it here to perhaps be of use to anyone else).

Delta Wave

« Reply #156 on: 25 Jan 2012, 08:40 pm »
yes, you are indeed correct delta, and thanx! however, i would need a usb out phono amp which raises it's own set of problems, as most usb dac's have only ONE usb input and i need that for my mac mini. (btw, i realize this probably needs it's own thread - i wanted to put it here to perhaps be of use to anyone else).

Why would you need a USB out if you have a DAC w/ analog inputs?

putz

« Reply #157 on: 26 Jan 2012, 03:09 pm »
How do you like that KAB clamp?

It was ok for the price and the quality of the table. 

Delta Wave

« Reply #158 on: 26 Jan 2012, 03:37 pm »
It was ok for the price and the quality of the table.

I had the old one, while it did it's job just fine it was annoying to use.

phoward

« Reply #159 on: 29 Jan 2012, 07:10 am »
Success!!! And next steps...

Thanks to the posters here i developed enough confidence to buy a used Rega P3/24 with Dynavector 10x5 cartridge & external power supply.

Great to listen to all that vinyl that had been in storage for 30+ years. Amazing to experience the soundstage, emotional involvement and engagement / realism I had forgotten about...

I have the Rega connected to a 36 year old Harmon Kardon 665 Integrated Amp (100W into 8 ohms) and thru Salk HT-2TLs.  WAF is over the top - especially after getting turntable set up...in her words "it's truly like listening to live music in our family room"

Here's my question:

I notice that when listening to CD (Cambridge Audio 840c) at normal listening levels  (8-9 o'clock) I defeat the tone controls and get pretty good sound.  With the Rega, for the same volume I have to move the dial  to between 1:00-4:00 and find myself wanting to add bass via the tone controls or by using  the "loudness" function...

I wouldnt be surprised if the next thing to upgrade is my HK 665 integrated - but wondered if moving to an external phono pre-amp would give me back the low end I am missing, or if the issue has more to do with my choice of cartridge. Any thoughts here would be welcome!

Thanks!