Oiling Speaker Cabinets

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Oiling Speaker Cabinets
« on: 21 Nov 2018, 08:29 am »
Aldcoll once told me which oil to use on Daedalus speaker cabinets, but I have forgotten. I have a bottle of lemon oil that I use on some furniture. Is there any reason why I cannot use it on my Apollo speakers?

Regards,

Michael

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Oiling Speaker Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2018, 08:49 am »
Michael,

Lou recommends Formby's, which is what I would guess Aldcoll noted, but any good furniture lemon oil should work fine. You & yours have a safe & Happy Thanksgiving.
Cheers,
JD

rodrigaj

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2018, 04:07 pm »
As a woodworker myself, I stay away from all lemon oils (including Formby's).

With a finish such as that on Daedalus speakers, nothing is needed but a gentle wiping / buffing with a microfiber cloth is needed. Lou uses a linseed oil, pine resin varnish on top of a penetrating linseed oil ("Danish Oil"). It is truly a world class finish.

If you do use lemon oil, "less is more". 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2018, 04:19 pm »
Back in the late 60's through 70's when I owned a pair of JB Lansing with an oiled finish cabinet, I used linseed oil once a year. the longer I had them the better they looked.
Now everything has a polyurethane finish, and all they need is a damp cloth wipe off.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2018, 07:56 pm »
Yes it is the Homer Formbys Lemon Oil that Lou recommends.  I use a fluffy cloth to buff out.  One can buff them as they are but the oil helps. 

And when you are though with your fee l free to come down and do mine. 

Don't oil them is you are going to box or move them.  Pretty hard to get a hand on them.  I did yours @ 60 days before we boxed them up.

Alan

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2018, 08:02 pm »
Thank you, everyone, for replying.

I hope to give them a little oil this evening followed by a gentle massage....for me!  :lol:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2018, 11:59 pm »
Yep it's Formbey's lemon oil. Be careful of others, some are just fine but some have wax or other additives which are  bad news :nono:

and as mentioned, "less is more" . think of it as just enough to lubricate the cloth.

thanks

lou

A_shah

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2018, 05:31 pm »
Yep it's Formbey's lemon oil. Be careful of others, some are just fine but some have wax or other additives which are  bad news :nono:

and as mentioned, "less is more" . think of it as just enough to lubricate the cloth.

thanks

lou

Plus +
I remember Lou telling me that , I did it once when they came in , perhaps once a year lightly is enough ! :thumb:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Asghar

rodrigaj

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2018, 06:22 pm »
Ask yourself, "What is it that I am trying to accomplish?"

If you think that lemon oil is needed because it will improve, enhance, feed, protect, and/or buff your speakers, you also need to ask yourself this:

Do I want to add a "hydrotreated light distillate (petroleum)" oil to my speakers finish.

That is what lemon oil is.

My mother-in-law, bless her soul, used to use lemon oil on her fine mahogany furniture, like it was going out of style. I asked her why?. She told me, "I like the smell". That is the only reason to use lemon oil.

I'll say it again, Lou's finish is world class. One of best finishes I have ever seen on any piece of furniture. It combines the tactile naturalness of "Danish" furniture with the very sufficient hardness and protection of varnish. I like just touching the wood. As a woodworker, after talking with Lou I began incorporating the same finish on my own handmade furniture.

I'll get off my soapbox and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. :lol:

audiojem

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2018, 07:21 pm »
I agree I don't know what you gain by using lemon oil it can't feed the wood as it's sealed by Lou's solid finish.
I think your better off just dusting them with a soft cotton cloth and you will be fine.
When i use lemon oil on my kitchen table it seems like it takes a while to work in and you have to go over it a number of times to get it all picked up not my favorite stuff!
Happy Thanksgiving
AJ

gab

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2018, 09:03 pm »

thanks

lou

Lou - I'm about to use "something" on some real wood Padauk speaker baffles I am building. I normally use Watco Natural danish oil followed up with Watco wax (which you imply above is :nono:). But willing to try something new if you're willing to share. Thanks

gab

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2018, 05:53 pm »
I agree I don't know what you gain by using lemon oil it can't feed the wood as it's sealed by Lou's solid finish.
I think your better off just dusting them with a soft cotton cloth and you will be fine.
When i use lemon oil on my kitchen table it seems like it takes a while to work in and you have to go over it a number of times to get it all picked up not my favorite stuff!
Happy Thanksgiving
AJ

You are right, the oil does not soak into the wood, I use it mostly as a light lubricant for buffing. I find it really helps but we only use a tiny amount. 
Again just use a VERY small amount of oil and lots of "elbow grease" once or twice a year if needed.
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2018, 08:10 pm by Daedalus Audio »

Branson4020

« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2018, 06:26 pm »
If you're interested in the actual ingredients, here is a link to the Safety Data Sheet for Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment.

MKJM4

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2020, 01:57 am »
I used a very light coat of Linseed oil and it worked wonders.