Advice/Opinions Greatly Appreciated

werd

Re: Advice/Opinions Greatly Appreciated
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2010, 02:33 am »
 :lol: Dont buy a surge protector, thats noobish. Puting your amp on a seperate circuit was good advice.....

Ryanz

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2010, 02:46 am »
WERD: I would love to do that since it requires no funds, but I'm unable to do so.

NAPALM: Okay. I did some research and I think what I need is a unit with over/under voltage protector, correct? And since I don't need any bells and whistles, I think I will go with the M4-EX. Sound reasonable?

werd

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2010, 02:57 am »
WERD: I would love to do that since it requires no funds, but I'm unable to do so.

NAPALM: Okay. I did some research and I think what I need is a unit with over/under voltage protector, correct? And since I don't need any bells and whistles, I think I will go with the M4-EX. Sound reasonable?

Looks good., just so long as you dont plug your 4B into it, or your receiver, or... well pretty much everything. Your soundstage will collapse. Just sell the 4B, if your are going to do that, i am not kidding. That approach is defeating your amp. 

Ryanz

« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2010, 03:01 am »
Looks good., just so long as you dont plug your 4B into it, or your receiver, or... well pretty much everything. Your soundstage will collapse. Just sell the 4B, if your are going to do that, i am not kidding. That approach is defeating your amp.

Serious? Please explain.

Napalm

« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2010, 03:09 am »

Werd... would you take a blind AB test chez Napalm? I have good wine anyway so it could be fun whatever the result is.

Nap.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2010, 03:10 am »
Serious? Please explain.

Yes very much, and i am not the only one here who will agree. Do not put anything surge protector in series with your amp or receiver. Its bad.... the wall on its own is a pitiful affair. What you are doing is just making your AC power worse by increasing its impedance into the 4B.  The 4B requires good flow of unhibited ac power. Your amp will starve for power, It will show with a lack of dynamics and prat.

You need to fix your problem passively. By installling a dedicated line or finding a different plug.

dont screw it all up on 50 dollar piece of gear. It probably wont work anyways or fail.

werd

« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2010, 03:12 am »
Werd... would you take a blind AB test chez Napalm? I have good wine anyway so it could be fun whatever the result is.

lol i would but i live in saskatchewan...  :icon_lol:

Napalm

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2010, 03:18 am »
lol i would but i live in saskatchewan...  :icon_lol:

Let me know when you're planning to visit Ontario, as I have 2 of these:

http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Components/M5100-PM.aspx

(they can't be both defective, eh?), a 4B SST2 and several outlets available around. If you can A/B with/without them at reasonable listening levels (not Mag's "last watt" style), you win one of them Panamaxes. And I win some knowledge. And we both win an interesting evening.

Ryanz

« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2010, 03:22 am »
Yes very much, and i am not the only one here who will agree. Do not put anything surge protector in series with your amp or receiver. Its bad.... the wall on its own is a pitiful affair. What you are doing is just making your AC power worse by increasing its impedance into the 4B.  The 4B requires good flow of unhibited ac power. Your amp will starve for power, It will show with a lack of dynamics and prat.

You need to fix your problem passively. By installling a dedicated line or finding a different plug.

dont screw it all up on 50 dollar piece of gear. It probably wont work anyways or fail.

Okay. Now we're getting into a conversation where, I'll admit it, I'm completely ignorant. If James is reading this, I would love his imput. I'm torn! I want to protect this amazing work of art, and yes, I view the amp as a work of art. Probably a bit nieve, but I believe true art is made by hands, not machines, and the Bryston is such. Oops, got side tracked. Anyways, I want to protect the Bryston, but I want it to work it's true magic. Crap. Anybody have a quarter...................

Napalm

« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2010, 03:23 am »
Ryan: supposing that Werd is right, and for some obscure reason you can't use it with your amp, it still is a very useful thing to protect your TV, PS3 and Xbox.

Werd is right in the sense that a dedicated power line is the best way to do (combined with a house-wide surge protector at the electrical panel). But if you can't do these, and you have those voltage drops, using this device is a sensible thing to do.

Ryanz

« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2010, 03:36 am »
Okay, so everybody agrees that a dedicated line is best. I would absolutely be up for doing that, however I rent my place. So how about I do the next best thing, find a circuit that is used the least in my apartment, and tap into that. Good idea? 

werd

« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2010, 03:38 am »
Okay, so everybody agrees that a dedicated line is best. I would absolutely be up for doing that, however I rent my place. So how about I do the next best thing, find a circuit that is used the least in my apartment, and tap into that. Good idea?

You gotta a 4B in an apartment..... whoa .....  :icon_lol:.

Yah just look around for a different outlet. Was it a plug in heater?

Napalm

« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2010, 03:42 am »
You gotta a 4B in an apartment..... whoa .....  :icon_lol:.

I had a Paradigm Servo 15 in one.... I eventually got evicted :lol:. I still have the note somewhere it was fun. I was going to leave that place anyway.

Napalm

« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2010, 03:43 am »

Yes.

Ryanz

« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2010, 03:44 am »
Yeah. Actually it's a five-plex. Luckily I have cool neighbors.  :D No. It's an electric baseboard heater. It's not going to be an easy task, but I'll find a way.

werd

« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2010, 03:45 am »
Yeah. Actually it's a five-plex. Luckily I have cool neighbors.  :D No. It's an electric baseboard heater. It's not going to be an easy task, but I'll find a way.

Thats the spirit....  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2010, 03:45 am »
It's an electric baseboard heater.

Reminds me of Quebec.... fond memories.

Ryanz

« Reply #37 on: 22 May 2010, 03:46 am »
Oh and the fact that they're drunks, and pretty much party all the time helps too.

Napalm

« Reply #38 on: 22 May 2010, 03:47 am »
[...] and pretty much party all the time helps too.

Fess' it up. You're somewhere in Quebec.

Nap.

werd

« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2010, 04:03 am »
Don't worry Napalm. I will get your 4B system sounding good..... Just quit listening to yourself and do what i do....voila... beautiful music