vinyl?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: vinyl?
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jul 2009, 12:13 am »
Very cool. I would ask how they sound, but I almost know they're fabulous. I'm looking at a pair of restored 4344's from Kenrick Sound in Tokyo.

http://jbl43.com/

For my taste, they sound awesome. I remember searching for the "right" speakers for alomost a year. I decided to purchase Brand X and I was going to put a deposit on them and I just happened to stop at another stereo store and I saw the JBL 1400s. Pointing, "what are they," I inquired. The dealer did his intro about them and asked, "would you like to hear them?" "Sure," was my simple reply. Cue the music, jaw hits floor - I order the 1400s. They were actually a few thousand less than Brand X I was going to purchase!

The JBLs were driven by 7Bs, BP 26 and the BCD-1 - what an awesome sounding system.

« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2009, 06:59 pm by Laundrew »

werd

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jul 2009, 12:42 am »
Hey Laundrew

Dude you should know those speaks look awesome. Get those!!!!!! I would build a speaker stand that lifts them about 1 to 2 feet off the ground and tilt them forward slightly. They look like they would be a blast.
Let us know when you get them.

Laundrew

« Reply #42 on: 29 Jul 2009, 12:55 am »
Hey Laundrew

Dude you should know those speaks look awesome. Get those!!!!!! I would build a speaker stand that lifts them about 1 to 2 feet off the ground and tilt them forward slightly. They look like they would be a blast.

Hello werd,

Thanks for the comment.

Actually the dealer delivered my 1400s to me on New Years Eve and set them up for me - how is that for customer service and I live 100KM from his store! :bowdown:

My 28Bs are ready for pick-up, I am just waiting for my BP 26 to arrive. I really enjoy the aesthetics of the JBL 1400s and they are going to meld very nicely with my Steampunk room.

TC

werd

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jul 2009, 01:23 am »
Hey Laundrew

Hello werd,

Thanks for the comment.

Actually the dealer delivered my 1400s to me on New Years Eve and set them up for me - how is that for customer service and I live 100KM from his store! :bowdown:

My 28Bs are ready for pick-up, I am just waiting for my BP 26 to arrive. I really enjoy the aesthetics of the JBL 1400s and they are going to meld very nicely with my Steampunk room.

TC

Nice, i am glad u got them, mustve missed that somewhere. So are you waitn for the bp26 before you pickup the 28's?

rmurray

« Reply #44 on: 29 Jul 2009, 01:48 am »
Hey, this could become a James Lansing club. I have a set of Ti 250's from the eighties and the Bryston amps sure make them dance like nothing else. Same goes for my stand mounted 120's. Thanks to  James Tanner and James Lansing for the great combo! There are many great speakers that share this synergy ith Bryston . I've been told by a dealer that jbl and pmc are similiar in their abiliy to be accurate and musical.   :beer: :wine: :dance:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #45 on: 29 Jul 2009, 02:37 am »
Those Arrays look great. Again, I bet they sound even greater. I wish I could afford them...

vegasdave

« Reply #46 on: 29 Jul 2009, 02:39 am »
Hey, this could become a James Lansing club. I have a set of Ti 250's from the eighties and the Bryston amps sure make them dance like nothing else. Same goes for my stand mounted 120's. Thanks to  James Tanner and James Lansing for the great combo! There are many great speakers that share this synergy ith Bryston . I've been told by a dealer that jbl and pmc are similiar in their abiliy to be accurate and musical.   :beer: :wine: :dance:

I agree, it is a good combo...now I have to someday get a pair of high-end JBLs to really see (and hear) what it's all about.

Laundrew

« Reply #47 on: 30 Jul 2009, 08:33 pm »
Hey Laundrew

Hello werd,

Thanks for the comment.

TC

Nice, i am glad u got them, mustve missed that somewhere. So are you waitn for the bp26 before you pickup the 28's?

Hello again werd,

Yes, that is the plan and I will tackle the dreaded cabling issue at this time :argue:

Dilbert

« Reply #48 on: 31 Jul 2009, 05:56 pm »
Very cool. I would ask how they sound, but I almost know they're fabulous. I'm looking at a pair of restored 4344's from Kenrick Sound in Tokyo.

4344's? IMHO A very good choice. And - there are a few upgrades that can make them even better. Capable of giving many modern designs a serious run for the money. There is very little on the market that comes near to their dynamic capabilities.

A nice match with the new squared series, too. :D

The new Array are awesome too!

vegasdave

« Reply #49 on: 31 Jul 2009, 10:15 pm »
Cool. What are the upgrades? That's what I figured. Kenrick Sound wants around $5000 for a pair, fully restored.

That's cool too. I just have the regular SST (4B SST Pro) though. I'm wondering if it's enough amp to drive the 4344's.

The Arrays look great, but they're way out of my price range. Matter of fact, these 4344's are pushing it!

Laundrew

« Reply #50 on: 31 Jul 2009, 11:54 pm »

4344's? IMHO A very good choice. And - there are a few upgrades that can make them even better. Capable of giving many modern designs a serious run for the money. There is very little on the market that comes near to their dynamic capabilities.

A nice match with the new squared series, too. :D

The new Array are awesome too!

Wow :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #51 on: 1 Aug 2009, 06:03 am »
Those are the Mk. II's. Only released in Japan, I believe.

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.jbl43.net/img/4344-71-1l.jpg

orthobiz

« Reply #52 on: 1 Aug 2009, 06:27 am »
Simple explanation of vinyl vs. CD's. It all depends on what you want out of your music. If you're looking for pure sound, a current digitally processed digital recording will sound great.

But if you want to hear Tea for the Tillerman Cat Stevens, you may want to seek out LH in the dead wax of a quiet vinyl copy. Lee Hulko was the engineer (LH) and CD versions may just not measure up. When the CD is made, they sometimes don't get the right master tape or the master tape has some damage through oxidation around the edges. And then there's the loudness brickwalling problem. Check out "loudness wars" on youtube and on wikipedia and you'll see what I mean.

And I've seen estimates as high as 85 percent estimating how much music has NOT been put onto CD.

So if you want to listen to your favorite artists doing your favorite recordings, you will many times be better off with a RECORD!!!!

Paul

vegasdave

« Reply #53 on: 1 Aug 2009, 06:30 am »
Simple explanation of vinyl vs. CD's. It all depends on what you want out of your music. If you're looking for pure sound, a current digitally processed digital recording will sound great.

But if you want to hear Tea for the Tillerman Cat Stevens, you may want to seek out LH in the dead wax of a quiet vinyl copy. Lee Hulko was the engineer (LH) and CD versions may just not measure up. When the CD is made, they sometimes don't get the right master tape or the master tape has some damage through oxidation around the edges. And then there's the loudness brickwalling problem. Check out "loudness wars" on youtube and on wikipedia and you'll see what I mean.

And I've seen estimates as high as 85 percent estimating how much music has NOT been put onto CD.

So if you want to listen to your favorite artists doing your favorite recordings, you will many times be better off with a RECORD!!!!

Paul

Good points you made here.

Dilbert

« Reply #54 on: 3 Aug 2009, 12:55 pm »
Cool. What are the upgrades?
That's cool too. I just have the regular SST (4B SST Pro) though. I'm wondering if it's enough amp to drive the 4344's.

Yup, they're not cheap, but think of what any of the JBL 43XX pro series systems would cost new today, if they still made them. Big dollars, no doubt.

Upgrade-wise, they are worthy of a capacitor replacement throughout, or even a conversion to charge coupling as used in the MKII version. Either is not simple, but well worth the effort if you have the skills.

Some folks like to aquaplas the HF diaphragms, or changeout the drivers to the later titanium verions too. I exchanged my HF drivers to TAD berylliam to good effect.

A 4B would be a great match. If you want the best performance, biamping is the way to go. On my 4345's, I use a 2BSST/2 on the top and a 4BSST/2 on the bottom.

vegasdave

« Reply #55 on: 4 Aug 2009, 01:36 am »
Cool. What are the upgrades?

Yup, they're not cheap, but think of what any of the JBL 43XX pro series systems would cost new today, if they still made them. Big dollars, no doubt.

Upgrade-wise, they are worthy of a capacitor replacement throughout, or even a conversion to charge coupling as used in the MKII version. Either is not simple, but well worth the effort if you have the skills.

Some folks like to aquaplas the HF diaphragms, or changeout the drivers to the later titanium verions too. I exchanged my HF drivers to TAD berylliam to good effect.

A 4B would be a great match. If you want the best performance, biamping is the way to go. On my 4345's, I use a 2BSST/2 on the top and a 4BSST/2 on the bottom.

Right, I hear ya on the price and on the upgrades. Thanks for letting me know about the 4B.

That sounds like a dynamite combo! You gotta 18 inch woofer there. Awesome.

Are you passive bi-amping or are you using an active crossover?

Dilbert

« Reply #56 on: 5 Aug 2009, 12:13 pm »
Right, I hear ya on the price and on the upgrades. Thanks for letting me know about the 4B.

[/quote]

Yes, active L/R 24dB/octave. These systems need to be properly biamped to sound their best. Not just any crossover will do, either. You will hear the audible artifacts of a typical unit through these systems. You need to spend serious money on a good sounding unit, or DIY.

Re. the 18" woofer, the funny thing is that I am using a pair SUB-1500's below 40 Hz, so I don't need the low frequency extension the 18's are capable of. None the less, the 18's do sound great where they are operating.

vegasdave

« Reply #57 on: 5 Aug 2009, 07:14 pm »

Yes, active L/R 24dB/octave. These systems need to be properly biamped to sound their best. Not just any crossover will do, either. You will hear the audible artifacts of a typical unit through these systems. You need to spend serious money on a good sounding unit, or DIY.

Re. the 18" woofer, the funny thing is that I am using a pair SUB-1500's below 40 Hz, so I don't need the low frequency extension the 18's are capable of. None the less, the 18's do sound great where they are operating.

[/quote]

Thanks again. Would a 10B work? For now, when I get them (and that'll be a while,) I'm just gonna start out with my 4B. I can't afford more amps, plus a crossover, plus the speakers.

Dilbert

« Reply #58 on: 6 Aug 2009, 12:43 pm »
Sounds like a good plan. I personally have not used a 10B but if it is anywhere near as good sounding as the new squared series amps, you'll likely be happy.

Make sure you get the 4th order version.

Please keep us posted on your progress! Pics of vintage JBL's are always welcome here, too!

vegasdave

« Reply #59 on: 6 Aug 2009, 04:39 pm »
Sounds like a good plan. I personally have not used a 10B but if it is anywhere near as good sounding as the new squared series amps, you'll likely be happy.

Make sure you get the 4th order version.

Please keep us posted on your progress! Pics of vintage JBL's are always welcome here, too!

Ok, cool. Yeah, I will. But like I said, it'll be a while. Unfortunately. Unless I somehow stumble upon a nice pair for cheap, haha.