What power cord are you using with your Bryston amp?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: What power cord are you using with your Bryston amp?
« Reply #60 on: 28 Oct 2006, 04:49 am »
Found it......Prat, a commune in the Côtes-d'Armor département in France.... :thumb:

LightFire

« Reply #61 on: 28 Oct 2006, 05:01 am »
Well said.

Honest people with a (formal) background in electric/electronic will tell you it is not subjective. it is just absurd. It is just and only someone's imagination at work. It NEVER passed a double blind test.

Many scientists will tell us that God doesn’t exist and it’s absurd too think so. That it too is just someone's imagination at work. And there is certainly NO test to prove Gods existence. So I guess, by your logic, they are right – if of course their background is ‘formal’ - informal backgrounds need not apply.

Humm, I see. Thanks.

God demands faith.
Does a power cord demands faith?!
You guys, placebophiles, are so gullible!!
Please stay away of religious cults because you are the type of people that would gladly join one!

boead

« Reply #62 on: 28 Oct 2006, 05:12 am »

God demands faith.
Does a power cord demands faith?!
You guys, placebophiles, are so gullible!!
Please stay away of religious cults because you are the type of people that would gladly join one!

Faith is contrived in ones mind much like a plecebo.

Don’t take me for a fool and don’t sidestep the point. Science only provides answers to problems solvable. All others are considered voodoo till discovered.

A spherical earth was considered absurdity till someone dared sail off its edge.

I’m sure you are the type of person with lots of opinion with NO basis in experience (formal experience, that is) . “Why should I perform the experiment when I already know its outcome” – is that you? I think so.

pav

« Reply #63 on: 28 Oct 2006, 05:04 pm »
Personally, I use stock cord that came with my Bryston.

My recommendation to others would be:
a) protect your devices (overvolatages, transients ...)
b) if necessary, use power conditioner (I am currently running a home test to determine the power quality)
c) cables ... personal choice, I'd recommend reading this http://sound.westhost.com/madashell10.htm. Interesting reading material.  :wink:

And James, there are hydrogenerators, we tend to keep transformers on dry land. Occasionally we soak them with oil, for cooling purposes :-)

LightFire

« Reply #64 on: 30 Oct 2006, 04:18 am »
I’m sure you are the type of person with lots of opinion with NO basis in experience (formal experience, that is) . “Why should I perform the experiment when I already know its outcome” – is that you?

No.
It is not me.
I am all for double blind audio tests to eliminate the placebo effect from all of us.

Now, from all the audio absurdities, the influence of power cords in audio quality is by far the most ridiculous.
Aren't you embarrassed for publicly stating your faith in power cords?!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #65 on: 30 Oct 2006, 04:55 am »
Do you conduct a double blind test before you purchase any gear or do you just rely on blind faith? What about your stock power cord? Don't you subject it to the double blind test? How do you know it is really just as good as the high priced spread unless you subject it to the test? Why should the stock cord get a free ride? :nono: Could it be that you're just basing your opinion on something you read? :P

boead

« Reply #66 on: 30 Oct 2006, 04:03 pm »
The problem with ABX is that the audio experience is a lesson in perception and ABX is inconclusive for audio. Its fine for determining which flavor of cola is most popular but with audio, especially high end audiophile the differences are subtle and deal with nuance. Things such as timing/rhythm, air and ambiance, transparency are not easily discerned. They poke their ugly little heads out at different times and respond to different passages in a very indiscernible way. This is the root of ALL argument; are the difference then real or not?

I have found (and I’m not alone) that living with different cords and allowing the mind to grow accustomed to the sound signatures aids in differentiating between them. What I do is simple really, I have two or three CD mixes of music I enjoy and know well. I primarily listen to these tracks over the course of days. At some point it becomes very clear what the differences are, I can actually tell what cord is currently playing. Being a busy middle aged married man with children a house and endless responsibilities I can wholeheartedly tell you that I can easily forget what darn cord is currently plugged into a particular component. At some point over time (days to a couple of weeks) I can perceiver the differences in the systems sound/presentation. I can then also fairly accurately recognize a particular cable, this aural memory isn’t permanent – actually it’s very short lived. I try to choose the one I like best, the one that pulled out the characters of the system I like best.
Sure, psychological issues do reside. “Wanting” one to be better or worse, or “Justifying” the money paid or “Needing” to prove a point one way or another can skew your perception but you must take that into consideration. I didn’t want to hear any differences; I had a really hard time believe that any wire could make a difference at any point in the system. And when it came to power cords I really though it was absurd. I discovered this was really not the case when I tried a couple of different cords that came with components in our studio (the company I work for use to own a post production studio). I listened to them compared to the stock cords and found that I heard a subtle difference that was consistent. I then bought, used, a ZuCable cord – their cheapest one they make and I paid less then it cost for a nice lunch out with the guys. I expected the differences to be as subtle as it was prior, less maybe since I assumed the cord that came with the $15,000 Sony deck was superior. The ZuCable sounded quite different; I was left somewhat awestruck and confused. Profound was my thought, profound!

I mentioned this to a friend who is into audio; his remarks were similar to many. How can there de ANY difference, its absurd!! He didn’t even want to try it, felt it was a waste of time. I gave him a hand full of inexpensive cords and told him to give it a try at some time when he had it to spare. A couple of weeks later he called with the same profound thoughts in his head – why and how can this be? He asked.

I have gotten the chance to listen to lots and lots of different cords. Some sound very similar, identical really (to me at least) and some sound very different. Some sound one way on one component and entirely different on another component. Some components don’t show much of a difference if any at all and some exhibit a big difference.

Some differences I’ve heard are as much as the differences I’ve heard between amps, even more so. Some amps just sound identical and they’re similar arguments that apply to amps ‘all sounding the same.’ Some differences in cords are insignificant others aren’t. And price is irreverent, that’s just a value someone puts on something and its up to you to agree if its reasonable or not. $5000 for a power cord is absurd to me but if I made 1.3 million dollars a year then it wouldn’t.

Trying to place scientific explanation for character is impossible, at least it is right now. Again, were talking about timing/rhythm, air and ambiance, transparency and other things that are almost impossible to measure or even prove exist. It’s more involved then that but for the sake of this conversation that about sums it up. Believe what you will but you can’t use science to determine the outcome, you also can’t use psychology. Try using your ears and a clear honest mind. And remember it’s not about determining $$ value or degree.

rabpaul

« Reply #67 on: 31 Oct 2006, 10:29 am »
I currently use a Shunyata DiamondBack PC and will continue to use this with the 4BSST that I am buying unless of course the stock PC is better. Why do PC make a difference? Here is one answer:
http://www.midi-classics.com/p3519.htm and another:
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/ac-cords.htm
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2006, 10:55 am by rabpaul »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #68 on: 31 Oct 2006, 08:46 pm »
I currently use a Shunyata DiamondBack PC and will continue to use this with the 4BSST that I am buying unless of course the stock PC is better. Why do PC make a difference? Here is one answer:
http://www.midi-classics.com/p3519.htm and another:
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/ac-cords.htm

These 2 articles really seem to suport my earlier post (see below) about the advantage of low impedance loading for high powered power amplifiers.

It is not that I am against audiophile power cords it is just that I want customers to understand that the power cord is in SERIES with all the wire in the wall all the way back to the hydro transformer or panel. This impedance (resistance) has issues especially when it comes to short term current draw for the amplifiers.

One of the reasons we decided to develop the Torus Power Isolation Units was we ran some experiments on a 4B plugged into a standard wall plug. We ran the 4B into a 8 ohm speaker load at 200 watts.  For very short-term periods on musical transients the 4B attempted to draw 47 amps from what in Canada is a 120Volt/15 amp source. The wall plug can not supply this short term current burst to the amplifier (because of the high impedance of the wall plug and wiring in the wall). Measurements revealed that the average wallplug had about a 1 1/2 to 2 ohm impedance (resistance).

The large Torus powerline conditioners we developed have a VERY LOW .04 ohms of impedance so the 4B amplifier current draw requirement on those same short term bursts went from 47 amps to 24 amps on 120 volt lines and dropped to 15 amps on 240 volt lines.

So it is our opinion, rather than spending money on exotic power cords take that money and invest in a Torus powerline conditioner. Not only will you get much better transient response and control from your amplifiers but you also get 'Noise Isolation' and 'Protection' for your complete audio/video system.

james