What power cord are you using with your Bryston amp?

Tony1

I borrowed a Tara lab Prime AC power cord for my 9b and noticed an improvement in soundstaging.  Just wondering what power cord people are using with Bryston amps and how it improved your system.

jethro

Re: What power cord are you using with your Bryston amp?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2006, 01:50 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12703.0

I use the standard cords that came with my amps.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2006, 02:27 am »
I upgraded from standard cords to audience and I could NOT hear any difference.  If there are difference in sound, it would be very subtle.  It may not worth the $250 bucks.  I'd rather spend it somewhere else.
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2006, 05:53 am by Levi »

Jason Nugent

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2006, 12:02 pm »
I've tried some Nordost power cords and I couldn't hear any difference either.  Whether that's because there wasn't any, or my system isn't transparent enough, or my short term memory isn't good enough for the comparision, or my ears aren't good enough is left as an excercise to the reader :)

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2006, 12:42 pm »
I make my own stuff so cost is not a big issue.  I'd call the differences subtle but definitely something you notice.  Certainly not worth spending megabucks.  The biggest bang for the buck with electrical is to have separate receptacles run on their own circuits.  Get rid of those cheap $0.33 builder's grade receptaclse and get Leviton ones for a whole $2.97 at Home Depot.  I got hospital grade ones too at my local electrical supply for I believe $6.60.

bgewaudio

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2006, 01:58 pm »
I as well use the supplied power cords, It would make sense to me to maybe go with a lower AWG power cord, only to increase current flow and minimize resistance.  We want to be able to get as close as possible to the desired 120 VAC continuously. Because what happens is if you are being supplied with too much AC, you are slowly damaging internal components, reducing the life of the amplifier, and if there is not enough AC, you aren't getting all the performance out of it.

Which then raises the question about AC line conditoners!
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2006, 02:10 pm by bgewaudio »

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2006, 04:20 pm »
To pass 15 amps of current you need 14 gauge wire.  My 6BSST and 14BSST (15 amp version) both use 20 amp IECs into the amp.  My cords are the equivalent of 13 ga. (two 16 ga. conductors).  On a power amp I would not use a conditioner nor would I use less than 14 gauge wire.  On the cords I make for my source devices (or those things that don't draw much current) I use 16 ga. wire. 

bgewaudio

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2006, 04:39 pm »
I agree Phil, given the nature of power and the medium (wire), most would not want to employ a line conditioner with a power amp because that is just one more medium that current has to travel (choke coil) increasing resistance.  However, there are line conditioners out there that incorporate a power reserve for amplifiers to make up for the resistance inadequacy.

kas

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2006, 04:32 am »
I am using a PS Audio xStream Statement cable with my 9BSST, and it made a huge difference.

kas

bgewaudio

« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2006, 10:42 am »
Kas, what sonic charactieristics were introduced when you employed this cable?

kas

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2006, 07:45 am »
The sound stage was bigger and the base had more punch. I am using FB1s for my fronts. I had a friend who is anti-solid state amps and when had heard my system many times in the past. When we auditioned the power cable, I saw a rare smile on his face, and he admitted that Bryston is a great amp. He is using a Linar amp on his system.

kas

kas

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2006, 07:47 am »
Hi bgewaudio,

I you're in the Toronto area, you're more than welcome to test for yourself.

kas

Sasha

« Reply #12 on: 7 Aug 2006, 03:56 pm »
I am the one who heard Kas’ Bryston amp performance with PS Audio Plus cable.
I have heard his amp many times before with previous power cord, and introduction of PS Audio did make noticeable positive improvement, no need for A/B testing.
I never liked Bryston amplification, sounds artificial, control and speed are there, but there is something metal and synthetic in the sound.
With PS Audio cable his Bryston amp sounded more natural.
Besides what Kas mentioned (soundstage and punch), there was improvement in timbre. For example, when drum is struck, you get a sense of membrane material, there isn’t only the main tone (thump) but more easily heard tones (harmonics) that characterize the material.
String instruments sound more natural, you can sense bow and strings.
Cymbals are not just annoying sizzling sound, but more real lifelike sound.
All this for some mean nothing or subtle changes not worth the money. For me, it made Bryston sound more pleasurable and natural, and that in my opinion is an enormous improvement.
I could listen for a long time to Bryston with PS Audio power cord, never without it.
So in my opinion Bryston owners would be well advised to upgrade power cords.
And it is not only about gauge. I will not get into the discussion about construction, choice of materials, etc., it will suffice to say that it is a mistake to assume the gauge is the only and the most important factor that determines the sound characteristics of cables, be that PC, IC or speaker cable.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 7 Aug 2006, 06:07 pm »
Question,

How can a very small piece of cable in 'SERIES' with all the power cable in the wall all the way back to the hydro transformer change the sound of an amplifier.

james

brucek

« Reply #14 on: 7 Aug 2006, 06:53 pm »
Question,

How can a very small piece of cable in 'SERIES' with all the power cable in the wall all the way back to the hydro transformer change the sound of an amplifier

Answer,

It can't.

Seriously, if a simple change to the power cord would result in such positive returns, do you not think that Bryston would do so?

brucek

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 7 Aug 2006, 07:50 pm »
I think it depends on lots of factors.  I know people who live in certain areas who get tons of RFI and EMI.  I've sat in rooms where power cords were changed in single blind tests and many (about 2/3) in the room could ascertain differences.  I think that lots of manuf. over-hype their products.  I've already indicated I think a bigger and better bang for the buck is to have separate circuits run and change those cheapo receptacles that the builder puts in.  This review pretty much sums up about how feel about them (power cords):  http://www.jpslabs.com/Reviews2/sspac2.htm

I also noted for me personally it is not a huge expense as I make my own stuff (I had a friend who worked in a high end shop and I did virtually all of his set-ups with him over a 5-yr. period and had access to the store after hrs. to compare stuff).  I never have that feeling as if I have spent money on something and feel the need to justify hundreds or thousands of dollars on cables at this point.  I've a few friends who have sold stuff like $2k speaker cable and over $1k interconnects who have my stuff in their system now.

Sasha

« Reply #16 on: 7 Aug 2006, 11:30 pm »
Question,

How can a very small piece of cable in 'SERIES' with all the power cable in the wall all the way back to the hydro transformer change the sound of an amplifier.

james

James,

I wish I knew the answer, but I do not, I can offer only guesses, not definitive answer.
This question has been asked many times by people from different backgrounds, technical or not.
There are many forums with heated discussion on the subject of cables.
What I trust is my ears, do I like what I hear or not, this is all about music and enjoyment.
I made my own cables following every logical step in the process with choice of materials and construction.
On some components my cables worked well, on some I could not match the performance of a “brand name” cable.
So I do what sounds the best, mix and match, using live performance of acoustic instruments as a reference.
If presentation comming out of speakers is lifeless and leaves me indifferent, I look elsewhere.
I apply this approach to any component, not only cables, any other approach would defeat the purpose of this hobby.

Sasha

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:53 am »
I use the stock cords that came with the pair of 7B-SST.

The only reliable way to evaluate a power cord (or any piece of gear) is double blind. If that protocol is not followed, what have you accomplished? The placebo effect - one just spent 10s or 100s of dollars on a cable that all the hype says will make an obvious improvement - is the only thing that is obvious in such experiments.

There are plenty of designers and companies willing to take advantage of the subjective audiophile and plenty of said audiophiles willing to lighten their wallets. As the saying goes - "they deserve each other."

I'm glad Bryston is an sound engineering company and as such their electronics will always be true to the source. That's what I'm looking for in my audio system.

caleb

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2006, 11:09 am »
Question,

james

James Tanner - you are indeed a very brave man!!

You asked the question that THOUSANDS have asked and never gotten the answer - indeed one of the "holy grails" of hi-fi /HT.

I have also replaced my standard kettle plugs with power cords that I made myself - decent thick jobbies - double braided, shielded etc..etc..

Did I hear a difference - I think I did, but then what self respecting male wouldn't hear a difference after spending a weekend braiding wires together and sheathing them in wire and black nylon to make them look good and putting enormous Wattgates on either end?

Would I spend anything more than $50 (that's about what it cost me per cord - and most of that on the connectors) - not on your nelly I wouldn't ! !

Double Ugly

« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2006, 11:49 am »
The only reliable way to evaluate a power cord (or any piece of gear) is double blind. If that protocol is not followed, what have you accomplished? The placebo effect - one just spent 10s or 100s of dollars on a cable that all the hype says will make an obvious improvement - is the only thing that is obvious in such experiments.

So is it the placebo effect that would make someone believe a particular aftermarket power cord is better than the aftermarket power cord he already owns?  What if the new, supposedly better sounding power cord is less expensive than the older power cord, so much so that the older power cord can be sold and have money left over after purchasing the new one?

That can't be, can it?  I mean, unless I've misunderstood your logic, if it costs more, it *has* to sound better to the audiophools with more money than brains.  You know..."them."

'Course, no one *I* know has ever had that happen.  But I know someone who has a cousin who heard about a guy in the next county who's grandmother once taught a girl who's father had a subscription to The National Enquirer and he said...  :wink: