A Must Have: Audiophile Fuses

SoundGame

Re: A Must Have: Audiophile Fuses
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:37 pm »
The fuses on the Bryston are not in the signal path but some people report changes anyway.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85846.0

Thanks very much Niels - this puts things in perspective.  If on the power side only and not in the audio signal path then changing out the fuses on SST2 amps I would guess to be worthless.

SoundGame

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:40 pm »

Doesn't matter.  Those who have convinced themselves that exotic fuses make an audible difference also enjoy them when used in the power supply.  I suspect that a percentage of those people would also find an audible difference when used in a dummy fuse holder.

Steve

:lol:

SHV

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:55 pm »

Sorry A - this is a circular link - if it means SHV has realized improvements then with what specific models of Bryston equipment and what exactly were the perceived changes / improvements?  Tks.

The only time that I changed a Bryston fuse, it was in an SP 1.7.  I think that I paid $0.39 at Radio Shack for it. 

This thread has turned into /snark/ gone wild.  My apologies.

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm »
Certainly a great way to turn $0.39 into $50, that is, if you don't have a conscience. Come on, what happened to the day when people had to prove a wild claim? The correct fuse, type and style is the correct answer, usually available at Radio Shack or Hardware Hank.

Wayner

Pez

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm »
Proof is in the pudding SRB and Wayner, not that you'll ever actually try something like this. And even if you did odds are you're too old and curmondgeony to hear a difference any way.  :P  :wink:

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jan 2012, 10:12 pm »
That's a pretty snotty comeback. I guess I'm not just another pretty face or a push over. I need to have some facts before I jump into the fool pool. As the old saying goes, a fool and his money are easily parted.

Whatever.

maxwalrath

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jan 2012, 10:20 pm »
It would be easy to find a buyer for fancy fuses on the used market.  There really isn't much to lose giving them a try.  I prefer to understand why a product should result in an audible improvement, but at a $40 cost and the ability to recoup 75% on the used market, it would be easier to hear for myself.

fredgarvin

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:03 pm »
They couldn't bring near as much improvement as the self- grounding audiophile shoe. No way.

pjnad

« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:12 pm »
Just my two cents...I have tried both the Furutech and Hi Fi Tuning Supreme fuses in my Modwright preamp. And yes, I have been able to hear a positive sonic improvement. I can relate to the naysayers and skeptics when it comes to the multitude of tweaks out there...some with outrageous claims and "voodoo" science, but these seem to "work".

I originally tried the Furutech after reading a recommendation by Steve McCormack ( who does know a bit about audio :) ) and who is someone that I trust, having had some personal communication with him when I owned one of his amps. The cost for the fuse was not prohibitive  if it made a positive difference, and I tried to be aware of any potential bias on my part.
Anyway, in my system, I liked the result...and I only wish that I was comfortable enough to open up some of my other equipment to replace the stock fuses in them.

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:30 am »
The AMR seem to be the least expensive fuses around.  Not 10 cents each obviously, but 3 fuses for $40 is a good deal.  3x cheaper than the Furutech.

I've used both HiFi Tuning & isolclean fuses, and agree that most improvement is in the treble range.

I agree...

The audiophile fuses I tried in the past all of the improvement was in the top end BUT these Audio Magic Nano-Liquid fuses improves the bottom end and mid-range too. With my "solid-state" Yamaha a-s2000 integrated amp, the mid-range sounds  :o like Solid-State... changing to... Tube Sound !!  :scratch:  :scratch:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:53 am »

Sorry A - this is a circular link - if it means SHV has realized improvements then with what specific models of Bryston equipment and what exactly were the perceived changes / improvements?  Tks.

Not really, I referred to my earlier post in this thread where I link to another thread where I explain what I did and what the percieved changes in sound were. It even comes with pictures.

SoundGame

« Reply #31 on: 25 Jan 2012, 05:34 pm »
Not really, I referred to my earlier post in this thread where I link to another thread where I explain what I did and what the percieved changes in sound were. It even comes with pictures.

Okay, this new link works - read your former threat and found your finding on the fuse replacement interesting.  I guess for $50, it would be worth trying.  If you didn't benefit, you could always sell the fuse for at least $25.  Perhaps I'll try.

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:03 am »
Based on my experience with Supreme HiFi Tuning fuses in a Burmester 911 mk3, they do indeed work to improve the sound and they are directional. Orient them in the same direction (I need 2 in the amp) and at some point reverse them. Amazing comes to mind, but I never though it would matter at all in the first place and never thought direction would matter. It does. This has been the least expensive and best tweak so far.  :thumb:

Joe Keifer

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jan 2012, 10:47 am »
Bryston and the other high-end audio equipment manufacturers are in a highly competitive industry -- each is doing everything it can to provide the best sounding equipment.  If an "audiophile" fuse made a difference why wouldn't it come installed as a part of the original equipment?  :scratch: The same can be said about power cords.

Well said!

mhconley

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm »
Bryston and the other high-end audio equipment manufacturers are in a highly competitive industry -- each is doing everything it can to provide the best sounding equipment.  If an "audiophile" fuse made a difference why wouldn't it come installed as a part of the original equipment?  :scratch: The same can be said about power cords.

Then why do many of these same high-end audio equipment manufacturers show their equipment, at RMAF for example, with aftermarket power cords?

Martin

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #35 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:33 pm »
Then why do many of these same high-end audio equipment manufacturers show their equipment, at RMAF for example, with aftermarket power cords?

Martin

Hi Martin

Many do because they are sharing the cost of the Demo room with other manufacturers.

James

Delta Wave

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:02 pm »
I bet you could get even better results if you soldered the fuses in place. 

SoundGame

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:15 pm »
I bet you could get even better results if you soldered the fuses in place.

That would complicate things when the fuse blows  :scratch:

Delta Wave

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:37 pm »

That would complicate things when the fuse blows  :scratch:

It can be done. Besides, what good is a boutique fuse when it's still mounted in a flimsy spring-steel fuse holder? 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #39 on: 26 Jan 2012, 05:04 pm »
It can be done. Besides, what good is a boutique fuse when it's still mounted in a flimsy spring-steel fuse holder?
+1

doug s.