Oppo 205 vs Oppo Sonica

Studio19atx

Oppo 205 vs Oppo Sonica
« on: 14 May 2018, 03:18 pm »
I thought this circle might be the most appropriate to post. Out of box both as two channel DAC preamp should perform the same, however reading the reviews I find the 205 is rated much better than the Sonica. I have a 205 and thinking of sending it in for the mod, however, I would rather find a sonica which would suffice my needs much better as I rarely use discs. I stream both music and video.

What are your thoughts on each units in their stock form?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Oppo 205 vs Oppo Sonica
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2018, 03:48 pm »
Oppo has stopped production entirely of all media products in USA and EU.
So I do not think you will find one of either product.
The 205 may be available as a special 'one last time' item from Oppo.
Sign up at the Oppo site to get on the email list when (if) they decide to bring over one last shipment of 205, they say in June.

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2018, 03:52 pm »
Sign up at the Oppo site to get on the email list when (if) they decide to bring over one last shipment of 205, they say in June.

Recently got an email from Oppo asking me to confirm my E-mail so that they would let me know when the availability of the the last run 205 , I already own a 203 right now.

Asghar

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 03:55 pm »
I believe the UDP-205 gets better reviews because it has greater functionality.

I can tell you that the DAC, digital circuitry and analog stage are IDENTICAL in the Sonica to the UDP-205.

The 205 uses a bigger processor to also handle video and as a result, only the 205 is MQA compatible.

We have modified a much greater quantity of 205's vs Sonica DACs, but I believe this is only because of the increased functionality of the UDP-205.

If you have a 205, that would be the way to go.  The cost to mod either is the same and I don't  know that you will find a Sonica at this point.  The UDP-205 allows for disc playback as well as video of course, even if you only use it for audio.

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2018, 05:21 pm by modwright »

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2018, 03:56 pm »
Yes, we got an email also.  There is a last run of UDP-205 units and we will be offering mods for them.  I don't know how many units are in the production run, but it is the last production of UDP-205's that Oppo will make!

Dan

Studio19atx

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2018, 04:03 pm »

Oppo told me that they will not be producing the Sonicas. I have signed up for the last production run of 205. In meanwhile I managed to get a 205 (used) for a fair price.

Studio19atx

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2018, 04:10 pm »
I believe the UDP-205 gets better reviews because it has greater functionality.

I can tell you that the DAC, digital circuitry and analog stage are IDENTICAL in the Sonica to the UDP-205.

The 205 uses a bigger processor to also handle video and as a result, only the 205 is MQA compatible.

We have modified a much greater quantity of 205's vs Sonica DACs, but I believe this is only because of the increased functionality of the UDP-205.

If you have a 205, that would be the way to go.  The cost to mod either is the same and I don't  know that you will find a Sonica at this point.  The UDP-205 allows for disc playback as well as video of course, even if you only use it for audio.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the quick reply. If I do not mange to get a Sonica, I might send in the 205 that I managed to procure. My ideal choice would be to have a pure audio streamer/player.

If I am not wrong the STM32F in the Sonica mainly does the control and no decoding or DSP functionality.

soundofrockets

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 04:18 pm »
Hi Dan - repeat customer here - already have the 105D modded.  are you planning on some special mods for the final (if) run of 205s ?  you know - all in mods !!

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2018, 09:50 pm »
Hi, first of all, regarding the Sonica vs UDP, I know that the processor chip in the 205 has a greater capacity.  I am not sure which chip it uses for DSP, etc.

Regarding mods for the 205, the mod that we offer for this unit is already significantly better than the 105 mods.  The tube circuit has been completely redesigned and offers a lower noise floor, better resolution and deeper and more defined bass.  It IS our flagship mod to date and so you can really understand how heartbreaking it is to us that Oppo decided to stop making the UDP-205 and all other products.

We do offer the Audio Magic Pulse gen as an additional mod option.  The bybee rails cannot be installed because of the way the the DACs Vref circuit is now implemented, all surface mount. To their credit however, they also improved this power circuit significantly also.

The UDP-205 is the best player that Oppo has ever produced and our mod is the best mod that we have produced to date!

Thanks,

Dan

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2018, 11:22 pm »
Glad I came back to read on. I had given them my email, but no message. So I just now reentered my email at Oppo and got the confirm message immediately.
Thanks.

A_shah

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2018, 03:39 am »
Glad I came back to read on. I had given them my email, but no message. So I just now reentered my email at Oppo and got the confirm message immediately.
Thanks.

Elizabeth,
When a company closes down it's consumer division and if a product is as good Oppo , some will buy that division and run it independently , I am sure some one is looking at it , who know maybe the employees of that division itself just my guess  :popcorn:

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2018, 04:16 pm »
I would hope to see someone try to fill the vacuum that Oppo has left.

Dan W.

A_shah

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2018, 07:03 am »
Dan
 Got my new OPPO 205 UHD yesterday( 6/29/18) from Oppo Unfortunately for now they are providing one unit "per household "depending on when you emailed them,  presently they have 200 to 300 units , the 2nd tranche would be bigger and the 3rd in August  , after that if they have any leftover's will go to first come 1st serve basis . Have to agree with you it is an amazing piece of equipment ! Big difference between the 203 UHD and the 205 , in terms of audio quality and functionality , alway found the interface on the 203 as very chunky but the 205 this latest version is very smooth and fast.  :D

Asghar

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2018, 04:47 pm »
I have access to a single Oppo Sonica, lightly used, that I will be selling, with mods, for $2995.  If this interests you, please let us know.

Thanks,

Dan

Studio19atx

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2018, 05:49 pm »
I have one Oppo Sonica which I am willing to sell if anyone is interested. Its hardly used, comes with original box, manual and remote.

I bought it along with 205. I have gone back and forth between both. Sonica sounds better than 205 out of box probably due to the linear power supply. However with mods, the 205 could sound and perform better. I am letting go Sonica as 205 does everything Sonica does and more, also I do not have need for a dedicated audio-only player.

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2018, 10:12 pm »
One Oppo Sonica with full tube mods - Need to sell!

Retail price: $800 for stock Sonica + $2500 mod = $3300.

Sale Price: $1995 for fully modified Sonica with PS 9.0 V10 external tube supply and Truth Umbilical.

Call now if interested!  I have only one unit at this price!

xtype

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2020, 10:28 pm »
Forgive me for dragging up an old thread but it seemed most relevant.

Early in this thread Dan mentions “the DAC, digital circuitry and analog stage are IDENTICAL in the Sonica to the UDP-205.”

The specs for the UDP-205 said “Dual ESS ES9038PRO Sabre Pro DACs”, whereas the Sonic only has a single ES9038PRO.
However, unlike some balanced DACs using one chip per channel (or “Dual mono” DACs), this second ES9038 is simply for the 7.1 channel analog output. Correct? Which can be configured as a second stereo output, But this board is left unmodified by Mr. Wright, correct? (It would then make for easy and interesting A/B testing though).

So then, the one feature that the Sonica has, which the UDP is lacking, is this analog stereo “AUX IN”.
 - Assuming this goes unmolested past the DAC but still into the ModWright analog output stage?
The Sonica can then be used as a sort of Tube buffer, or gain stage, I suppose, with the volume control?
Passing through analog sources, or even a minimalistic preamp maybe. I guess that makes two additional features over the UDP.

Is this assumption about the analog input correct?

-xtype