Wii questions

drphoto

Wii questions
« on: 9 Mar 2010, 05:03 am »
I went to a friends house and tried the Tiger Woods golf. It was sort of fun, but the controller doesn't allow you to grip it like a golf club. Does anyone make a realistic golf club control device? I saw some goofy thing, that was basically the regular game controller, but w/ a short golf club stuck on the end. Like that would do any good.

Plus, can you view the ball from the address position, or can you only see it from behind?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if one could actually use this thing to practice a swing.

Woodsea

Re: Wii questions
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2010, 10:03 am »
That is a good question.  I personally don't have a Wii.  But, taking it all into account, I doubt that playing Wii golf is going to help your real game.  There isn't any heft, no rotation of the hips or shoulders, or angling of the club head.  Nothing is going to help your swing until Natal comes, and you use a real club in your hands.  Of course I am hoping that the 360 Natal is that good.
Have fun with the Wii.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2010, 09:11 pm »
The Wii is a silly useless piece of junk that I've managed to accumulate a couple dozen games and at least a dozen "controller thingies" for that nobody plays. Kinda pissed that I bought one in the first place. But to answer your original question, "No". There's nothing realistic about it in any way, shape, or form.

Bob

viggen

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2010, 10:52 pm »
I've golfed on Wii Sports Resort, and I do think it helps in terms of keeping your wrist straight and at what point of your backswing do you snap into a foward swing.   The controller picks these up pretty well. 

I have no problem holding the controller when golfing tho.  No need for the faux golf club.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2010, 11:12 pm »
I dunno about that. The swing all starts w/ the grip, so if you can't practice that, then the thing is a silly diversion, not much more helpful to practicing golf than my Golden Tee arcade game.

Doesn't mean it isn't fun though.

Wish I could afford one of those sims like they have at golf pro shops, where you can hit real  balls.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm »
drphoto..wait a bit and look at the PS3 new controller, its motion like Wii but its more like a handle you could grip like a club. Xbox360 has a similar thing coming too-Project Natal. I have PS3, great blu-ray player and 1080p games....My kids have all 3 systems and the Wii currently has the largest dust bunnies on it. Fun and done they told me!!