Heating my convertible to melt snow - bad idea?

rif

• Not a cowboy
Heating my convertible to melt snow - bad idea?
« on: 14 Aug 2022, 09:57 pm »
Winter is coming and this is my first convertible (fiat 124). I'm in the North East so can expect some snow.  I've purchased a car cover - when the weather says snow, I'll put it on.

Is this a crazy idea?  I'd like to buy a small 12v heater from amazon, put it on the passenger seat, and power it off of a small sla battery (not the car's battery). I'd  run all night, with the idea it would warm up the car enough to melt snow as it falls on the convertible top.

Convertible top is fabric.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Heating my convertible to melt snow - bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2022, 10:04 pm »
Sounds like a good way to catch it on fire to me.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2022, 10:13 pm »
I do a similar thing to my boat during the winter to keep the block from freezing. Super small plug-in heater tucked away in there just to keep it above the freezing mark. Granted, it is stored indoors and the pnw only gets a couple days that dip into the 20s and rarely anything to the teens, so YMMV  :?:

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2022, 03:16 am »
Maybe a low wattage incandescent light bulb?  Seems safer.  I'd guess the filament would burn out before the floor mat gets hot enough to start a fire.  Or I could rig up a simple circuit that has a temperature sensor that can shut it down.

dpatters

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2022, 02:01 pm »
I live in central PA and have owned several convertibles. If you are using a car cover you don’t really need anything else.

Don P

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2022, 05:26 pm »
The only downside to the cover in winter is if the car is a daily driver. You'll have trouble with the sleet, freezing rain kind if weather and refreezing overnight. The cover will freeze hard and in places sort of bond to the car. When you try to lift it off in the morning it will tear. Ask me how I know. If it's a second car and you can leave it until better weather, the cover is fine. I wouldn't try to heat it with any type of heater.

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2022, 04:12 pm »
Winter is coming and this is my first convertible (fiat 124). I'm in the North East so can expect some snow.  I've purchased a car cover - when the weather says snow, I'll put it on.

Is this a crazy idea?  I'd like to buy a small 12v heater from amazon, put it on the passenger seat, and power it off of a small sla battery (not the car's battery). I'd  run all night, with the idea it would warm up the car enough to melt snow as it falls on the convertible top.

Convertible top is fabric.

How much did you have to drink before posting this ?? .......... :scratch:

VinceT

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2022, 04:15 pm »
If this is a concern, I would just put a sheet thick plastic over the car cover. This way water will not penetrate. Heating the car will just be dangerous and make everything constantly wet which is worse.