High-end wall outlets.

mikeeastman

Re: High-end wall outlets.
« Reply #60 on: 28 May 2022, 11:47 pm »
I wasn't suggesting you install a solar system I was just pointing out how ridiculous the price  of that piece of equipment is. You would only need a small inverter a battery and a charger, which would all fit in a small box.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #61 on: 29 May 2022, 11:46 am »
I employ two of these in my system.  https://www.amazon.com/Isolation-Transformer-Conditioner-Suppressor-AV-1000/dp/B075983CQY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pb_opt?ie=UTF8&th=1
These solved a minor problem in my old house. And having an toroidal transformer and some additional capacitance in the line is generally a good idea for surge suppression and noise. I also like the fact that if we lose power, they turn off and stay off until reset to keep anything from being exposed to additional surges. I've never disassembled one, but they weigh a ton.

And yes, I know, they cost less than $150. How can they be any good?

And thanks to those who posted on this thread. There have been a couple of very good product suggestions. I've actually already purchased a couple of the reasonably priced receptacles and intend to experiment with them. I don't have a noise problem, at all. And I'm skeptical in how much of a sonic change these will make. But experimenting with my system keeps me off the streets at the very least.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #62 on: 29 May 2022, 01:12 pm »
But experimenting with my system keeps me off the streets at the very least.

Get a turntable.  That’ll keep you off the streets!  :lol:

BicycleJoe

• It's all in one note
    • BicycleJoe Lo-Fi Sound and Vision You Tube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 29 May 2022, 02:57 pm »
I wasn't suggesting you install a solar system I was just pointing out how ridiculous the price  of that piece of equipment is. You would only need a small inverter a battery and a charger, which would all fit in a small box.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh I understand that MIKE you were doing that for contrast and comparison.
Thanks to everybody for chiming in and helping
I had been trying to figure out a way I could get away with a solar system in my apartment when my indoor gardens (plural) were growing pre legalization product.
I wanted to power my lights with solar energy. I was running two 600w and a 1000w in two tents and four 1000 W lamps in the living room. The amount of space my windows provide would have been too small for an efficient solar system. Even as cells become more efficient the COI would've been prohibitive. I think that's the information I'm trying to get from Danny if I could just do it for the turntable.
These windows are all going to be treated with panels and curtained off now but one 600 W ChilLED should be enough for a down sized 4x8 garden if I can isolate the
Meanwell driver from the hi-fi equipment on a separate breaker

HT1278

« Reply #64 on: 29 May 2022, 04:52 pm »
PS Audio Powerport calssics look great to me.

I ordered two 5 packs.  $49 for one outlet and $190 for a 5 pack.

Spoke to PS Audio on the phone and they told me that the first version of these did affect the male plugs, when plugging in and out, they said that has been corrected and no longer an issue.

"The Power Port is a high-end AV grade AC receptacle that will make a significant contribution to your system’s performance."

"

1-800-PSAUDIO

Sign In
PowerPort Classic
The Power Port is a high-end AV grade AC receptacle that will make a significant contribution to your system’s performance.

At the heart of everything we do with AC power is the interface between our equipment and our power sources; the AC receptacle. Unfortunately, standard AC receptacles are made from cheap brass that does not provide the best levels of conductivity. The Power Port™ is a custom built, isolated ground, 15 to 20 amp receptacle that will insure a life-long level of excellence and superior conductivity. The Power Port exceeds hospital grade for grip strength, contact resistance and current delivery. Easy to install in your wall, this is one component you need in your listening room. 15 coats of polished nickel over high-purity brass, with the “grip of Mickey Mantle” and polished nickel plated hardware, this a must have in your system."

https://www.psaudio.com/products/powerport-classic/

HT1278

« Reply #65 on: 29 May 2022, 04:53 pm »
Thank you everyone for bringing up these type of products I had no idea there were such things as electrical outlets that were better for audio. 

Bullitt5094

« Reply #66 on: 29 May 2022, 06:16 pm »

Get a turntable.  That’ll keep you off the streets!  :lol:

I scrape by with a Feickert Volare / Origin Live Silver / Hana SL  Yet the streets still beckon.  Maybe it's the 1000HP 2001 Bullitt Mustang. I try to resist though...

Mike-48

« Reply #67 on: 30 May 2022, 03:51 am »
I had no idea there were such things as electrical outlets that were better for audio.
To be clear: there are electrical outlets sold with claims of being better for audio. Those claims are debatable and are in fact hotly debated, here and elsewhere. To my knowledge, there are no scientifically valid observations of improvement whatsoever.

For general quality and durability, I use hospital-grade receptacles in my audio space, but probably ordinary spec-grade (not the very poor contractor-grade) receptacles would suffice.

mikeeastman

« Reply #68 on: 30 May 2022, 02:21 pm »
First off science can’t measure everything, there are hole in it after all. That aside, all I know is that when I upgraded from the Furutech receptacles to PI Audio receptacles I heard a difference, was it an actual difference or only my imagination, can’t say for sure. But if the purpose of this hobby is to enjoy the music more does it matter as long as I’m enjoy the music more. Hey but what do I know, I’m just an old hippy living in the boonies of Arizona.  :D

twitch54

« Reply #69 on: 30 May 2022, 02:52 pm »
To be clear: there are electrical outlets sold with claims of being better for audio. Those claims are debatable and are in fact hotly debated, here and elsewhere. To my knowledge, there are no scientifically valid observations of improvement whatsoever.

For general quality and durability, I use hospital-grade receptacles in my audio space, but probably ordinary spec-grade (not the very poor contractor-grade) receptacles would suffice.

Agreed and when I see folks making so much fuss over 'wire' before truly addressing speakers , room interaction and acoustics I just wanna scream !!

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #70 on: 30 May 2022, 03:07 pm »
Agreed and when I see folks making so much fuss over 'wire' before truly addressing speakers , room interaction and acoustics I just wanna scream !!

It does seem odd.  I don't live in other peoples' bodies or minds so I'm not willing to judge what they hear.  I would think though that, in addition to what you mention, qualities of air density, temperature, humidity, would make a much greater difference and are much more variable; I've never heard of anyone trying to precisely control those. 

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #71 on: 30 May 2022, 09:55 pm »
It seems that you assume that these things have not been dealt with.

emailtim

« Reply #72 on: 30 May 2022, 10:43 pm »
Several years back member Big Red Machine built a multi outlet with all of the favorite high end receptacles, and sent it out on tour.  There were clear differences between them, some of which even my wife could hear.   I liked Dave Elledge's receptacle, Porter Port, and Maestro... forgot the ones I thought were not as good.

Very cool.  Thanks for mentioning it.  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123754.0
« Last Edit: 31 May 2022, 05:36 am by emailtim »

twitch54

« Reply #73 on: 1 Jun 2022, 01:57 pm »
It seems that you assume that these things have not been dealt with.

NO, the point being knowing how to prioritize. Regardless, big $$ spent on wire need not be at least by those with common sense and some science to back it up   :green:

NoahH

« Reply #74 on: 1 Jun 2022, 02:24 pm »
NO, the point being knowing how to prioritize. Regardless, big $$ spent on wire need not be at least by those with common sense and some science to back it up   :green:

Stop. This never goes well. Just stop. If the comment has a flavor of judgemental to individuals, it is best to stop it before it picks up momentum.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #75 on: 1 Jun 2022, 04:51 pm »
Does a regenerator work like this?

AC mains (120V) -> rectified to DC -> "pure sine wave" AC 120V

So my question is how clean is the "pure sine wave" compared to the AC mains in?  Would love to see some o-scope measurements on voltage and current, as well as a Fourier transform.

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

« Reply #76 on: 1 Jun 2022, 06:38 pm »
Hey Ya’ll I am the OP’er for this topic. I wanted to follow up on the direction i went.
I am using pangea XL SE outlets their top of the line offerings. Its around $100 outlet.
The grip force is spectacular, using BE CU i dont think it will lessen over time like my $50 pangea outlet seems to, still good but not intense.
The colors are really good, I’m using it on my High end Denon receiver, and for the streamer AC.
Makes a difference, when you see what it was replacing you can’t help but to laugh, $2 outlet with thin brass and magnetic steel bolts.
So I am thrilled maybe there’s better, but my system would probably have to be better to resolve the improvements much. Wont try and define the value here as that’s different for everyone but I am happy with the results.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #77 on: 1 Jun 2022, 07:24 pm »
Glad to hear this worked for you.  So many times, these discussions go south and forget about the intent of the original inquiry by a poster 4 pages back. 

NoahH

« Reply #78 on: 2 Jun 2022, 12:39 am »

So my question is how clean is the "pure sine wave" compared to the AC mains in?  Would love to see some o-scope measurements on voltage and current, as well as a Fourier transform.

Regenerators are amps + DACs generally. They generate a sine wave digitally, convert to analog, and amplify it. There are other methods but that is what the PS Audio ones, the most common, do.

Power conditioners will do all sorts of other things to try to correct what is coming out of the wall, vs regenerators that 'start from scratch'

emailtim

« Reply #79 on: 3 Jun 2022, 05:24 pm »

Check out @ timecode 4:00.  The video shows a scope picture of a pure sine wave inverter, modified sine wave inverter and the grid. 

The grid scope plot has the peaks chopped off with the modified sine wave inverter being the worst waveform of the 3.

The pure sine wave inverters that I have seen have a THD rating of @ 3% with the grid supposedly worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxSapfp4Hs