4) DSD capable
5) No fan
6) USB - C connections
7) multi-channel playback
8) WiFi capable,  not sure on this one
9) Keyboard or touch screen
10) Networking & control from different locations 
11) Two internal hard drives

All everyone is welcome to add to the list...

Something with these would cost $15K+.

plurn

Re: BDP-3
« Reply #61 on: 25 Feb 2017, 10:07 am »
according to the soundandvision news post "A follow-up to its BDP-2, the BDP-3 features a “lightning fast” Intel processor, 8 gigabytes of RAM for speed when navigating large digital libraries":

The current manic moose system seems to be 32 bit with a 32 bit mpd daemon. Which would limit the ability to use all of the 8 gigabytes of RAM on the BPD-3. Not that 8 gigabytes is really needed for the BDP-3, but would the BDP-3 be getting a 64 bit version of manic moose to be able to efficiently use all of that memory?

I expect it does not matter either way as even about 4 gigabytes of usable memory is heaps if you stayed with a 32 bit system, and staying at 32 bit might make development for all the different hardware variants easier.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #62 on: 25 Feb 2017, 11:12 am »
according to the soundandvision news post "A follow-up to its BDP-2, the BDP-3 features a “lightning fast” Intel processor, 8 gigabytes of RAM for speed when navigating large digital libraries":

The current manic moose system seems to be 32 bit with a 32 bit mpd daemon. Which would limit the ability to use all of the 8 gigabytes of RAM on the BPD-3. Not that 8 gigabytes is really needed for the BDP-3, but would the BDP-3 be getting a 64 bit version of manic moose to be able to efficiently use all of that memory?

I expect it does not matter either way as even about 4 gigabytes of usable memory is heaps if you stayed with a 32 bit system, and staying at 32 bit might make development for all the different hardware variants easier.

Hi plurn

Yes Chris is looking at software that would make use of the 64 Bit system in the future  - I think he is calling it Nutty Narwhal.

james

Salakavald

« Reply #63 on: 25 Feb 2017, 01:57 pm »
Hi,

I have bp-26 with internal dac and 4b3 and I would like to know:

1) is it possible to connect BDP-3 with bp-26 and use/enjoy all it`s (bdp-3) features/options or I need external dac for that?

2) what is the best way to connect my dac including bp-26/ with BDP-3? AES/EBU or S/PDIF?

Sry. when these questions are a little bit foolish, I am relatively green in these topics. Thanks!

Greetings from Estonia!

plurn

« Reply #64 on: 25 Feb 2017, 02:14 pm »
Hi plurn

Yes Chris is looking at software that would make use of the 64 Bit system in the future  - I think he is calling it Nutty Narwhal.

james

Thanks James.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 25 Feb 2017, 03:33 pm »
Hi,

I have bp-26 with internal dac and 4b3 and I would like to know:

1) is it possible to connect BDP-3 with bp-26 and use/enjoy all it`s (bdp-3) features/options or I need external dac for that?

2) what is the best way to connect my dac including bp-26/ with BDP-3? AES/EBU or S/PDIF?

Sry. when these questions are a little bit foolish, I am relatively green in these topics. Thanks!

Greetings from Estonia!

Hi Salakavald

1.You can connect to the BP-26 through the COAX Digital input on the rear of the BP-26 but you are limited to 96/24 bit resolution whereas the outboard DAC can do 384/24 plus DSD files. 

2. You can only use SPDIF COAX as that is the only connector on the back of the BP-26.  Our outboard DAC has many more options AES/COAX/HDMI/OPTICAL/USB.

james
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2017, 08:26 pm by James Tanner »

XMAN

« Reply #66 on: 25 Feb 2017, 07:51 pm »
That explains it.  Not tons of quad DSD recordings at the moment though.

I bought one by mistake  :duh:

Norton

« Reply #67 on: 25 Feb 2017, 10:45 pm »
Hi,

For DSD capable, the word that I was missing was 256.  They say that DSD 256 is equal to the original master recordings, side by side comparisons...  This feature would be great to have with the BDA-3 that is capable of DSD 256...
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Luigi

As far as I am aware the current BDPs are already DSD256 capable -from Bryston's BDP brochure the 1 is shown at DSD 256 and the 2 at DSD 512 max.  But to actually play DSD 256 you would need a DAC that can accept DoP of that resolution - i.e. a DSD capable DAC that accepts a PCM input at 24/704 or 768 (a Chord Mojo for example) as the current BDPs don't output "raw" DSD afaik and Linux has limited support for it. I have a number of HDTT releases  in 256 but have to downsample them offline to 128 to play with the BDP1 and my DAC.

I can also confirm from experience that the  BDP2 does play  at least DSD64 over  SPDif and presumably therefore also via AES with the right DAC.

Salakavald

« Reply #68 on: 27 Feb 2017, 09:11 am »
Hi Salakavald

1.You can connect to the BP-26 through the COAX Digital input on the rear of the BP-26 but you are limited to 96/24 bit resolution whereas the outboard DAC can do 384/24 plus DSD files. 

2. You can only use SPDIF COAX as that is the only connector on the back of the BP-26.  Our outboard DAC has many more options AES/COAX/HDMI/OPTICAL/USB.

james

Thank You James!

Grant Hill

« Reply #69 on: 1 Mar 2017, 12:46 pm »
Hi James,

do you know when the BDP3 will be available for Europe? When it will appear on Bryston's website among the digital players?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 1 Mar 2017, 01:09 pm »
Hi James,

do you know when the BDP3 will be available for Europe? When it will appear on Bryston's website among the digital players?

Hi Grant

We are still about 6-8 weeks out - just wanted to give everyone lots of notice.  The first 25 are sold so it may be a bit longer than anticipated.

james

Grant Hill

« Reply #71 on: 1 Mar 2017, 01:12 pm »
Thank you James,

that makes sense.

Cheers

dznutz

« Reply #72 on: 2 Mar 2017, 04:45 am »
I wouldnt expect to see these for another 4-6 months

zoom25

« Reply #73 on: 2 Mar 2017, 06:29 am »
With Spotify going lossless, any chance that Spotify integration into the BDP players will gain some momentum?

Hoiman

« Reply #74 on: 2 Mar 2017, 08:40 am »
I ordered one, I hope I belong to these first 25  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 2 Mar 2017, 10:18 am »
With Spotify going lossless, any chance that Spotify integration into the BDP players will gain some momentum?

Hi Zoom

No plans at this point with Spotify - just Shoutcast and Tidal.

james

Marius

« Reply #76 on: 4 Mar 2017, 11:43 am »
Hi James,

reading the messages here, i still believe to be a bit in limbo as to what the BDP-3 will be able to do the BDP-2 can't right now? :scratch: :scratch:
Nutty Narwhal in 64 bit was mentioned by Chris before (i even asked if that was to be taken as an announcement for the BDP3.... wasn't negated ;-)

Still, that NN announcement wasn't very clear on the new specs. Just as your announcement of the BDP-3 isn't for that matter.
Could you please state the progress being made with this new development into the BDP-3. Whats the (r)evolution?

Thanks,
Marius

HI

Yes the BDP-3 is something we decided on very recently and is really just a CPU circuit board that became available last month that Chris found.  So until recently we had no idea of any changes forthcoming.

We are going to offer this new CPU circuit board  as a retro fit to current BDP-2’s – I will let you know how that progresses.  The BDP-3 is still about 2 months away so we were just giving people lots of notice.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #77 on: 4 Mar 2017, 11:52 am »
Hi James,

reading the messages here, i still believe to be a bit in limbo as to what the BDP-3 will be able to do the BDP-2 can't right now? :scratch: :scratch:
Nutty Narwhal in 64 bit was mentioned by Chris before (i even asked if that was to be taken as an announcement for the BDP3.... wasn't negated ;-)

Still, that NN announcement wasn't very clear on the new specs. Just as your announcement of the BDP-3 isn't for that matter.
Could you please state the progress being made with this new development into the BDP-3. Whats the (r)evolution?

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius

Nothing revolutionary at all - just everything is much faster ( Ex start up is less than 30 seconds) due to the much more powerful CPU and Chris has new software that will be at least a year away (NN) that can benefit from 64 bit.  The extra power also allows us to develop more programs in the future as these additions require more and more horse power.

Kind of like what occurred when you went from your BDP-1 to your BDP-2

james

Marius

« Reply #78 on: 4 Mar 2017, 11:56 am »
HI James, Thanks!

would it be anywhere possible to have a little comparison like we had before, on spec like speed, powerup/down, library size, formats, and usb/wLan etc? Since the BDp3 has more memory, the Bot side of things seem to be able to take advantage of that. So please add that into the comparison too. Play from memory, playlist, ripping speed etc.

Cheers and thanks again,
Marius

dznutz

« Reply #79 on: 4 Mar 2017, 09:49 pm »
I am reading between the lines here Marius... the BDP3 is atleast 6 months out and its so early that Bryston cant even tell you exactly what the improvements/changes will be.  Come back in 6 months and we should know more