HUGE upgrade for the Omega Super 3 v.2

texendo

« on: 7 Dec 2005, 11:52 pm »
I don't really consider this an upgrade per say but more of a an enabler that allows these speakers to perform to their full potential.  I'm speaking of the Mapleshade Bedrocks from mapleshaderecords.com.  These are essentially low rider, tripodded stands utilizing maple platforms and brass points whose designs are based on years of trial and error testing by a die-hard afficionado.  I won't deny the fact that I'm a big fan of mapleshade products having owned (and still using) iterations of their speaker cable, brass points, and maple platforms.  These Bedrocks are my latest addition, and it's simply amazing how my Omega's are now sounding.  The expansion of the soundstage (in all three dimensions) and the increase in transparency of the entire bandwidth were simply beyond expectations (even a fan's expectations).  They even look cool to boot... definitely the cat's pajamas.

Due to returning to school and living in a smaller, less private space, I was forced to "downgrade" (hardly) my rather modest system and opted to go with the Red Wine Audio Clari-T and Omega Super 3 combo (using my iMac as transport).  I'll first add to the repitition and proclaim how very nice working with Louis was.  He turned me on to these new super 3's before they were even on the website (THANKS!) and was quick to respond to my customized tweaking requests (no binding posts at all; Mapleshade Clearview speaker cable wired directly to the drivers).

As for the speakers, in the Magassar finish they look quite svelte.   The sound, however, is soooo smooth and transparent.  Having come from Dynaudio floorstanders driven by 350x2 watts, this was almost a paradigm shift.  Before I never would have considered such a seemingly "sissy" setup of small, single drivers driven by a fistful of watts.  As it is, the speakers play more loudly than I ever listen; I could honestly host a party with these.  The height and width of the soundstage is similar to my previous setup (which was tweaked to the gills, emphasizing simplified signal path), the new combo however, blows the last away in depth of soundfield and overall "cohesion" of sound, if that makes any sense.  When I close my eyes and listen the these, it's as if I can see the sound and look into it deeply.  The bass response doesn't quite displace you from the room like my previous behemoths, but I've yet to miss it.  Most importantly, though, is the lack of listening fatigue (and I never thought my last system had any).  Even though potentially a small bit less hifi/audiophile-sounding, I'm enjoying listening to the current setup more than my last.  Perhaps the best part is that these cost a small  fraction of what my last speakers cost!!

Clearly, inherently designed system synergy is worth it's weight in gold.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2005, 12:56 pm »
Mapleshade has a devouted following.  I've tried his recordings.  They're very well made, but the content is a real hit or miss.  The bedrocks are intended for standmounted speakers only as and keep them within 6 inches of the floor.  The speakers are tilted back.  Their site http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/index.php lists the advantages of the bedrocks.  

The founder/owner, Pierre Sprey, has many off the beaten path ideas and products, from ultra delicate inconnects to 10 gauge solid speaker cable, to setting on the floor with your back against the back wall as the ideal listening position.  And of course lots of thick maple and heavy brass pointed footers/weights for equipment.

I'm not surprised that you find the Clari-T/Super 3 less fatiguing than Dynaudio/behemoth amps.  Lossing the crossovers with all the phasing issues and going to a small/simple battery powered amp is a much "cleaner" solution.  And with all the money saved you could add a powered sub.

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2005, 03:01 am »
Hi texendo,

Many thanks for your great post and welcome to the forum. I was more than happy to care of the direct cable tweak and the Mapleshade cables are pretty popular with the super 3s. I’m thrilled the new combo is sounding great and the simplicity is a virtue more than ever in Audio. I found the same with the Bedrock and I have them myself. Just as JLM pointed out, Pierre has some great ideas and this one sounds wonderful and makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again,
Louis