more info on mos250?

xabytes

more info on mos250?
« on: 19 Jan 2003, 06:16 am »
I came across the wnaudio website recently and found the mos250 to be an interesting project. However, with the exception of the review be Raj, I have found very little info. Is there any other information available other than what is posted on the website? Other reviews or comparisons would be helpful.

Looking at the components that go into the system it would seem that you have a very promising product. I am in the market for an amplifier, and am considering the MOS250 among others.

Thanks,

Raj

mos 250
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2003, 11:50 am »
Hi Darren,

I doubt you'll find anyone who's had both the Aksa and White Noise amps mate! Both of these amps are good, if you owned either one of them you'd probably not want to purchase the other. I suppose a leap of faith is required, when I bought mine (dec 2002), there were no reviews available whatsoever. White Noise has been around for about 4 years or so, perhaps this is why we don't see a lot of reviews and opinions on the web. Perhaps David White knows what his amps sound like in comparison to a commercial model, which would allow you to go down to a hi-fi shop and get a very rough idea. I suppose one of the krell's or bryston's in the 250w region would give you a rough idea, although this would be only a very rough idea! Certainly you want to listen to an amp which has a frequency respone upto 250 khz to get an idea of what kind of treble you can expect. Still this would vary from amp to amp, what you can expect from the mos 250 is an extended range at both sides of the spectrum, which many cheaper commercial components don't do. The sound is analytical and will show up weaknesses in speakers and other parts of your system. I have a cd player, but i'd like to hear the sound of this amp with vinyl. Many cd recordings these days are recorded in a very bright manner (check http://www.zero-distortion.com/start.htm), I prefer the analogue sounding discs. With this amp you'll get what's on the disc, if the disc is bright then that's the sound you'll get. The teble is outstanding on this amp especially bells etc.  I've talked to David and he prefers his equipment to sound natural and life-like, so you won't find 'dressed up' sound here. Pesonally I'm not against either type of sound, the idea is to enjoy the music. Everyone you talk to will push their own products, in the end it's up to you, I don't think you'll be dissapointed if you go for the mos 250 or the Aksa amps.

Thanks
Raj

davidw

• http://www.wnaudio.com
more info on mos250?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2003, 02:15 pm »
There is technical information available on the old MOS100, which was a forerunner of the MOS125 and MOS250, in the form of photocopies of a constructional article which appeared in the now defunct Electronics Today International. Photocopies are available from White Noise, see catalogue on website.
Most of the comparisons of my amplifiers, and other kits/modules, with "commercial" offerings have been made in letters sent to me personally. Whilst these are uniformly favourable there's not much point in me publishing them on the White Noise web page because I could have made them all up! Hopefully now that the forum is up and running ( thanks guys! ) people will post their experiences here as well as sending me letters