BDP-2 Digital Player

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #2020 on: 27 Nov 2018, 02:31 pm »

So based on this I can only assume the BDP-2 gets the files either through SMB or NFS because if it was DLNA it would have had the same issue as the Oppo.

Do you recommend turning off DLNA on BDP-2?
Edit: not sure whether BDP-2 would automatically "transcode" if it was DLNA.

Rod_S

« Reply #2021 on: 27 Nov 2018, 02:41 pm »
Probably more of a question for Chris to confirm what method the BDP-2 uses. For example if it's not DLNA (SMB, NFS) it probably wouldn't matter what the DLNA settings were based on my experience with the Oppo and it's possible if it is using DLNA the NAS would see the BDP as not needing any transcoding even if the NAS was set to transcode??

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2022 on: 27 Nov 2018, 08:51 pm »
Do you recommend turning off DLNA on BDP-2?
Edit: not sure whether BDP-2 would automatically "transcode" if it was DLNA.

The BDP in DLNA render mode just takes what ever its given much like the oppo would have.  I'd recommend using SMB (aka Samba, aka CIFS), setup on the BDP's end is covered in the manic moose manual.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2023 on: 27 Nov 2018, 10:37 pm »
The BDP in DLNA render mode just takes what ever its given much like the oppo would have.  I'd recommend using SMB (aka Samba, aka CIFS), setup on the BDP's end is covered in the manic moose manual.

Chris

I don't use NAS -- only external USB drives attached to BDP via USB ports. Also, I use an older version of Moose.

Not clear to me what the benefits of using Samba would be, other than sharing drives on home network, which I don't do/need.

cheers

Rod_S

« Reply #2024 on: 27 Nov 2018, 11:39 pm »

Chris

Hi Chris, so I checked my services and I do have Samba engaged so that explains why the unit is seeing the correct resolution. I don't have any of the DLNA options and I'm running the latest firmware. Why don't I see those? The Shairplay and Squeeze items are not there either. I have Shairport and Roon Ready.

One other question, not related to the above, my BDP just started giving me a message saying the Bryston DB is almost full and to create a scratch disk or setup a larger one. What's up with that? My BDP does't have an internal drive, it only connects to an external NAS so that message makes no sense me.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2025 on: 27 Nov 2018, 11:51 pm »
Hi Chris, so I checked my services and I do have Samba engaged so that explains why the unit is seeing the correct resolution. I don't have any of the DLNA options and I'm running the latest firmware. Why don't I see those? The Shairplay and Squeeze items are not there either. I have Shairport and Roon Ready.

One other question, not related to the above, my BDP just started giving me a message saying the Bryston DB is almost full and to create a scratch disk or setup a larger one. What's up with that? My BDP does't have an internal drive, it only connects to an external NAS so that message makes no sense me.

There near the bottom, just before ifplugd, you'll need to scroll down.

Newer versions of the firmware have the ability to cache data related to your library to attempt to enhance the experience.  This data uses internal storage unless you set a scratch drive and it sounds like you've consumed at least 90% of the space dedicated for user data.  Setting a scratch drive is covered in the manic moose manual.

Chris

Rod_S

« Reply #2026 on: 28 Nov 2018, 12:05 am »
There near the bottom, just before ifplugd, you'll need to scroll down.

Newer versions of the firmware have the ability to cache data related to your library to attempt to enhance the experience.  This data uses internal storage unless you set a scratch drive and it sounds like you've consumed at least 90% of the space dedicated for user data.  Setting a scratch drive is covered in the manic moose manual.

Chris

Do'oh. I was using my iPad so there was no scroll bar thus I thought that was all that was there.

Concerning the scratch drive, I read the bit in the manual, does it have to be a USB drive since it says any locally attached drive? I don't have any USB's attached and there is only one option in my list? See below.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2027 on: 28 Nov 2018, 02:32 pm »
That's the internal storage that's listed and is whats currently being used, its not really critical until you run out of space completely and even then the unit will still continue to function, but the interface might behave a bit odd.  You only need a 4-8GB usb thumb drive to plug into the rear of the unit.

Chris

Rod_S

« Reply #2028 on: 28 Nov 2018, 02:36 pm »
Thanks Chris. I guess I have done good to go this long, probably 2 years now without hitting the limit. I do have the Bryston USB stick that came with the unit around somewhere so I'll locate that and setup the  scratch drive.

akosgyorfi

« Reply #2029 on: 10 Dec 2018, 12:46 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am expecting very slow transfer speed from pc to internal hard drive of the Bdp-2. It’s only a few Kbps
I have tried to copy from USB to internal hd as well with no success either
Any idea on these?
A few weeks ago I had no problem with copying files from pc to hd through the network. What goes wrong?
Any help is welcome

XMAN

« Reply #2030 on: 31 Dec 2018, 04:11 pm »
is there anyway to clear cash i have a art problem with one of my files