cabinet aesthetics ???

jonbee

Re: cabinet aesthetics ???
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2014, 03:40 am »
I agree that the artisan nature of your work is a unique trademark.
On further reflection, I think adding some metalwork elements to the wood of the cabinets could make a nice contrast, and continue the handmade artisan look, while adding some bling.
Whatever you choose will be worth a look and listen, I'm sure of that.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2014, 05:10 am »
I agree that the artisan nature of your work is a unique trademark.
On further reflection, I think adding some metalwork elements to the wood of the cabinets could make a nice contrast, and continue the handmade artisan look, while adding some bling.
Whatever you choose will be worth a look and listen, I'm sure of that.
thanks Jon, I am looking into something along that line and I think it will look cool and sound very good.

dodgealum

« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2014, 04:48 pm »
Lou:

Great question and a very interesting thread. I was thinking about your post when I picked up the latest Stereophile that had arrived in my mailbox yesterday. There is a very interesting piece by Art Dudley (one of the few writers on staff that is worth reading) that is highly relevant to the question you pose--I would suggest you (and everyone who has weighed in here) take a look. My own thoughts line up with Dudley's perspective--i.e. maintain your aesthetic and continue to refine your existing offerings while occasionally introducing new models that reflect your core philosophy and design perspective. I've always been struck by the fact that your company name includes the word "cabinets" (as in "Daedalus Cabinets") because it speaks to what is completely unique about your loudspeaker systems. They are timeless, heirloom products that will be loved and respected long after we depart from this world. I anticipate handing them down to my son as I would a handcrafted watch or original classic automobile. How many owners of "man cave" speakers currently in vogue can say the same--and mean it? I spent over five years doing a ground up restoration of a 1973 BMW 2002tii because it was an automotive icon from a company that never deviated from it's stated mission--to build the "ultimate driving machine". When that same company turned out an SUV and a station wagon I could see where things were going and sold the car--for me it had lost some of it's iconic status as a result of a change of philosophy in Munich. (I sold it for a variety of reasons but this change in corporate mission made the sale easier to swallow). I could be wrong but I think that many of us who have been with you a long time see a value in your loudspeaker systems that transcend their desire for great sound--it is about being part of something special and enduring. My guess is that those who become aware of your speakers and are considering a pair somehow "get this" as well. My worry is that the expansion of your product line to include designs that some may consider more "stylish" (or is it "impressive"?) will diminish in some way what you have painstakingly created. So my vote is one big, fat NO.

figcon

« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2014, 06:31 pm »
Wonder what happened to my first post on this subject? Oh well......

What I wrote was as long as Lou doesn't go all Wilson, Magico or YG Acoustics on everybody, a little metal decoration, like maybe a brass placard with the Daedalus name and model number on it, would probably be nice. Whatever he does will probably be in very good taste and I don't see anything drastic happening with his core philosophy of using natural materials for the cabinets and drivers.

I don't matter, but I'm for it.

jonbee

« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2014, 03:18 pm »
They are timeless, heirloom products that will be loved and respected long after we depart from this world.
Amen to that. How many current products are candidates? There are always a few, but most are me-too designs- good quality, but not distinctive enough to stand out in ways that will be valued over the long run. One thing my 46 years in this hobby offers is the chance to reflect on what speakers and components have emerged as classics in that time. Some used groundbreaking technology, but all produced SOTA (for the time) sound which compares well musically to later products, combined with a unique design. Some were mass produced, like AR3as, but many were from boutique makers, such as Apogee Divas. In all cases the mark of the designer is very evident which separates them from the pack.
I truly believe Lou's creations have that mark. No one else is making cabinets like these (except maybe Sonus Faber), and more importantly the sound has an overall musical rightness that will not go out of style.
If Lou builds on these elements the results should be great.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2014, 04:41 pm by jonbee »

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2014, 06:17 pm »

I love the look of the Daedalus speakers but consider myself a lurker on the Daedalus site since I ain't got the scratch anyway and can only look and drool. Beautiful stuff indeed. As a lurker, any new design would be welcome and exciting but if I had the scratch, I'm guessing I'd go with one of the designs you've already presented, preferring a more traditional look than a speaker designed by Luis Bunuel and modeled after Leda and the Swan in full blush.

However, I'm less enthusiastic about the Daedalus website which I don't believe serves you well and with which I've frequently encountered problems. The Info and Speakers links don't seem to work and I find the News page (with the reviews) confusing. There are a few other nitpicks among which I'd have to say that leaning a guitar against those beautiful speakers just makes me cringe every time I see it. Perhaps that's just my OCD. I understand thematically why that visual association is important but still. I hope these comments are received as constructive criticism and not as mean-spiritedness. I just don't think the visual aesthetic of your website comes close to matching the beautiful artistry of your speakers.

All best,
KP

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 21 Jan 2015, 05:44 pm »
Great idea. Nothing wrong with having various lines with different price points. The truth is that for many of us, the question of "What would my wife think?" immediately pops in our heads, so if the speaker isn't aesthetically pleasing or doesn't fit the decor, we won't consider it no matter how good it sounds. This also applies, to some degree, for a man cave. 

I'd like to see a more affordable line where so much of the cost is not associated with the cabinet.

Well it's tax time and we have been revisiting the components and pricing of the models, for the record the "cabinets" are less than half the cost in building these. Please remember the three main factors in most speaker systems are the crossovers, cabinets and drivers, ( four if you include wire harness)  ALL are equally important.  It just doesn't pay to skimp on any area and the reality is that we do not charge enough for the cabinet work we do. For me the quality is more important than the profit.

thanks,
lou

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jan 2015, 06:39 pm »
Hi, Lou.  Everybody who owns and loves your speakers seems to be opposed or passé about changing their looks.  But, they know something that future buyer's don't . . how well they work.  Cosmetics are a big thing especially for younger nouveau riche buyers.  I say make em black, shiny and sexy with contoured cabinets.  I think it would expand their appeal to a broader base of buyers.